Reaction score
15 LB 2row
10 oz 20L caramel
6oz carapils
1 LB munich
8oz honey malt

Just somethinng I came up with i want it to be a big beer but not brleywine big
Amarillo and hallertau mittelfruh for hops

would throwing golden promise in there be a waste?

If it were my recipe I'd up the Munich and lose the Caramel. The combination of Amarillo and Hallertau doesn't seem to work for me but hey, it's a solid recipe. Brew it.

Reactions: J A
Agree with @Nosybear . Maybe mix of light and dark Munich and lose the C-20 and C-Pils. You don't need the C-20 if you've got Honey malt and you don't need C-Pils with that much malt in the grist to start with, especially if you use a good base like GP.
I'd think about Magnum for bittering and Amarillo late, but Hallertau Mittlefruh is my go-to for late noble hops...any combo of those two should work just fine.

It should make a great beer with or without tweaks. Post results! :)

as the beer is right now with golden promise its going to be a sweeter beer so if you leave it you need to compensate a little with bitterness if you don't want that

Depends on your mash efficiency but that's up there in barley wine territory for me

Depends on your mash efficiency but that's up there in barley wine territory for me
Assuming a five gallon batch, yes, this is a big beer. One reason I don't chime in on a lot of recipes is the brewer generally doesn't provide us their intent. Without knowing what the brewer wants to brew, all I can give are my preferences, example, I don't care for lots of crystal malts and would rather get the flavors I want from base malts and toasted malts. I also don't know about the process: If this grain bill is mashed warm, say 156 degrees, it will produce a nearly oily beer, if it's mashed cool, say 146 degrees, it'll be much thinner in the mouth. Help me out here: I think I'm starting to see a pattern in the evolution of a brewer. In the beginning, people talk about recipes, while experienced brewers talk more about the process. Anyone else see the same?

Or should we post this discussion to a different thread? It's not helping Jimmyz with his recipe! If the intent is a big, sweet beer I'd go for it with one difference: Lose the Hallertau, it's wasted on a beer this size and it doesn't go well with the Amarillo. Mash cool to keep it from becoming cloying or use a step mash to get maximum conversion out of the grain. And, if you can, lager it for a while, a month to six weeks, or give it a nice, long, warm "Belgian style" conditioning phase in bottles. There, my three cent's worth....

modified recipe brewed this morning Will post pics Thanks guys!
Method: BIAB
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.069 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
8.69%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
15 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 78.4%
10 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 20L 35 20 3.3%
6 oz American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 2%
42 oz American - Munich - Light 10L 33 10 13.7%
8 oz Canadian - Honey Malt 37 25 2.6%
19.13 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
2 oz Chinook Pellet 13 Boil 60 min 69.15
1 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 30 min 17.58
2 oz Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 10 min 13.5
2 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6 Boil 0 min

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
3 oz Amarillo Pellet 8.6
2 oz Cascade Pellet 7
2 oz Chinook Pellet 13
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
-- -- 152 F 60 min
Yeast
Default - - -
Attenuation (avg):
75%
Flocculation:
Med
Optimum Temp:
66 - 72 °F
Starter:
No
Target Water Profile: Light colored and hoppy
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
75 5 10 50 150 0

Pretty big IPA! actually fits in American IIPA category. I am a big fan of honey malt but I use it sparingly, it can add to much sweetness in a beer that should be crisp and not cloying. Looks good the way it is if you prefer some sweetness in this type of beer. A yeast that is crisp and clean like WL Cal-01 or Wyeast 1056 will help keep the hops standing above the malt.
Nosybear pointed out his preference of malts so my thought is lose the Munich and cut honey malt in half, and it would fit the American IPA style.

The only thing I'd say is that you have a lot of sweet malt and no dry/toasty/nutty/crackery notes. I'd find a place for some Victory or similar to give a little more dimension to the malt backbone.
And I'd probably push the 30 min Amarillo to 20 minutes to preserve more of it's flavor/aroma component.
If you brew as is and do a good job of getting it attenuate and clean up, it'll be a big, nice beer.

Guys thanks for all the input. My original intent was for opinions on what the ingredients would produce flavor wise. Based on those responses I would modify things a wee bit like I did by subtracting the Hallertau. I'm still repetitively new to the brewing game (2-1/2 years) and this is the first recipe I have ever put together and im looking forward to see how it turns out. The intent was to use up a bunch of stuff I have on hand. I dont consider my self an advanced brewer and will never see myself getting all technical about it as my time is limited. I have learned to adjust ph and the impact that has along with salt additions and their impact. But right now I get a brew in via BIAB in about 3.5 hours start to finish and I like the beer I make so to me that's a win. I really enjoy the process and someday when I get more time I might go to a 3 vessel system.

Last edited:

Back