Have a ESB recipe ... ok to modify like this?

okoncentrerad

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I found a recipe for a ESB I like to brew next, but I also have a couple of malts at home I need to use before it gets old...I guess.

The recipe says

1.6 kg American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 63.7%
0.6 kg American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted 33 30 23.9%
0.2 kg American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 8%
0.15 kg American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 5.9%

If I use some of the things I have at home, I was thinking of something like this

1.6 kg Finland - Pale Ale Malt 36 2 62.7%
0.4 kg Finland - Pale Ale Malt 36 2 15.7%
0.2 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 7.8%
0.2 kg American - Munich - 60L 33 60 7.8%
0.15 kg United Kingdom - Dextrine Malt 33 1.8 5.9%

The original recipe 0.6kg toasted malt, I was wondering if toasting some of "my" pale ale malt and some of my maris otter would be something similar? Or if not similar, would it be way off? Or does it not work at all?

The original recipe caramel/crystal 60L....I have something called Caramel Munich 60L, is that useful in this one?

The original recipe caramel/crystal 60L....I have something called Caramel Munich 60L, is that useful in this one?

its a different flavor but it will still work, the difference is 2 row crystallized vs Munich crystallized but still the same color

your recipe would be fine but if you toast some do it without turning the grain too much darker, it will start to taste burned if it gets too dark

its a different flavor but it will still work, the difference is 2 row crystallized vs Munich crystallized but still the same color

your recipe would be fine but if you toast some do it without turning the grain too much darker, it will start to taste burned if it gets too dark
Thank you! Go easy on the toasting... check. The original recipe said "Toast 2# base malt at 350 for 12-15 mins", sounds okay? Does toasting mean oven or frying pan?? o_O excuse my ignorance o_O

I did some Pilsner at 225 for 20 minutes and then 300 for another 20 and it was a really nice flavor and color. I have to remember to do that again. ;)

Go for it i say every time ive toasted/roasted my own malt it has been a delisious experience. More you in your brew;).

Back