Tangerine Wheat?

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have been tossing around a recipe for a wheat beer that doesn't need a slice of orange. I found these experimental hops at Yakima Valley Hops(experimental Tangerine) and have done several different recipes with them. I have found they get more "tart" I guess if to much are used. If only aroma is desired at small amounts they hint a taste just as if a slice of fruit is on the glass. But kind of like Lemon Drop, to much is to much. How can I bring out the citrus without them overpowering and getting tart or bitter? The best flavor so far was with 180f degree whirlpool for 10min(10 gal. batch 2oz.) But if I add just a little more (.5oz.) they get too sharp. How do I get more aroma without more tart?

Have you tried dry hopping yet?

I'd say lower attenuating yeast or something less modified in the grains but I love the wheats either really dry or in the sweet range. I'd compromise on the tart side personally, but can you tolerate any sweetness?

I have been tossing around a recipe for a wheat beer that doesn't need a slice of orange. I found these experimental hops at Yakima Valley Hops(experimental Tangerine) and have done several different recipes with them. I have found they get more "tart" I guess if to much are used. If only aroma is desired at small amounts they hint a taste just as if a slice of fruit is on the glass. But kind of like Lemon Drop, to much is to much. How can I bring out the citrus without them overpowering and getting tart or bitter? The best flavor so far was with 180f degree whirlpool for 10min(10 gal. batch 2oz.) But if I add just a little more (.5oz.) they get too sharp. How do I get more aroma without more tart?
I've found Lemon Drop to be quite harsh.... Mandarina Bavaria is quite nice for a tangerine-like flavor - use at whirlpool.

"Tart" is a descriptor I often hear used for wheat beers in general - that may be your issue. If you're talking "sour" as in harsh, that could be the hops.

I've only used Lemon Drop as a 5-minute, flameout or dryhop addition. In those uses, I find the flavor plenty smooth. I get a lot of grassiness with Mandarina in heavily dry-hopped beer and it interferes with the more subtle citrus notes. I think it's my particular palate.
I've been eyeing the Exp-Tangerine hops. I'd be tempted to add some tangerine puree/frozen juice at the end of boil to pick up the flavor. I did a Blood Orange/Citra IPA that was fantastic...not so much juice that it took over the flavor but it really, really reinforced the earthy juiciness of the Citra hops.

I would use Mandarina and also throw in some orange zest to complement the hops. Works great and you can get a good citrus character without it being too "hoppy" for wheat.

I've only used Lemon Drop as a 5-minute, flameout or dryhop addition. In those uses, I find the flavor plenty smooth. I get a lot of grassiness with Mandarina in heavily dry-hopped beer and it interferes with the more subtle citrus notes. I think it's my particular palate.
I've been eyeing the Exp-Tangerine hops. I'd be tempted to add some tangerine puree/frozen juice at the end of boil to pick up the flavor. I did a Blood Orange/Citra IPA that was fantastic...not so much juice that it took over the flavor but it really, really reinforced the earthy juiciness of the Citra hops.
For tangerine flavor, use tangerine zest at flameout. Seriously, the flavor is in the zest, not so much in the juice or pulp.

Reactions: J A
For tangerine flavor, use tangerine zest at flameout. Seriously, the flavor is in the zest, not so much in the juice or pulp.
It also won't add a bunch of fermentable sugar like juice will.

Have you tried dry hopping yet?

I'd say lower attenuating yeast or something less modified in the grains but I love the wheats either really dry or in the sweet range. I'd compromise on the tart side personally, but can you tolerate any sweetness?
A half a # of honey malt will add quite a bit of sweet.. I'm adding that to bring out the citrus and try not to be to harsh. I did a light pale ale this spring with this amount of exp tangerine and it was tasty but I was looking for more tangerine. Dry hopping has not been tried. Would be concerned about losing the tangerine flavor to just a citrusy tang.

Last edited:
I've found Lemon Drop to be quite harsh.... Mandarina Bavaria is quite nice for a tangerine-like flavor - use at whirlpool.

"Tart" is a descriptor I often hear used for wheat beers in general - that may be your issue. If you're talking "sour" as in harsh, that could be the hops.
Maybe another hop along with will add more flavor without getting harsh? Would have to order those hops. Don't think LHBS would have them.

The tangerine hops are very nice at a low aroma addition so was just wondering about more flavor with then without the slight harsh or tarty stepping in. Maybe some zest would help.

Reactions: J A
I would use Mandarina and also throw in some orange zest to complement the hops. Works great and you can get a good citrus character without it being too "hoppy" for wheat.
The tangerine hops don't get very bitter just tart or as above harsh.

• Tangerine Wheat

Head First
Method: All Grain
Style: American Wheat Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 10 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 13 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)
Source: HEAD FIRST BREWING
Share: <EMBED>

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
5.47%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Mash pH

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
8 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 43.2%
10 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 54.1%
0.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt 37 25 2.7%
18.5 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Cluster Pellet 7.7 Boil 60 min 16.23
2 oz Exp Tangerine Pellet 6.5 Aroma 10 min 9.94
Show Summary View

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
8.5 gal Infusion 148 F 60 min
6 gal BATCH Sparge 168 F 10 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
2 tsp Calcium Chloride Water Agt Mash 1 hr.
1.5 tsp Gypsum Water Agt Mash 1 hr.
7 ml Phosphoric acid Water Agt Mash 1 hr.
1 ml Phosphoric acid Water Agt Sparge 1 hr.
Yeast
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Amount:
Attenuation (avg):
81%
Flocculation:
Medium
Optimum Temp:
54 - 77 °F
Starter:
No
Fermentation Temp:
65 °F
Pitch Rate:
-
Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator
Target Water Profile: Tangerine Wheat
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO3-
80 5 25 75 80 100
Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator
This recipe is shared.

View Count: 1
Brew Count: 0
Last Updated: 2018-11-20 18:17 MST

Here is the recipe I think

Nothing glaring wrong with it. Give it a go and tell us how it comes out.

Nothing glaring wrong with it. Give it a go and tell us how it comes out.

I think I will try as is. Pryor use of these hops was whirlpool and was good but weak. Like this at 10min should get just a little more out of them. If not enough yet I guess hang a slice of tangerine on the glass!

So brewed this beer 12/9.
Just racked into kegs today.
Usually cold crash but just did it without chilling.
The hop flavor is very good.
Will let carb for a bit but samples were very tasty.
Slightly dry yet not tart, with a complex tangerine, blood orange,orange, pear, fruity flavor without the citrus tang.
Just enough sweetness to bring out the flavors we were looking for.
So far I will call this brew an overwhelming success.
Thanks for the help.

This sounds great!
Would you mind if I poach your recipe?
I would like to make a beer like this in the spring.
Craigerrr

This sounds great!
Craigerrr
Please feel free. If it's made public it's public. I might consider adding some mandarina barvaria hops too. Maybe a flame out addition? The fruityness as is though is tasty. Those experimental tangering may come hard to get. They show only a 2017 release and they are out of stock at YVHops.

Last edited:
This sounds great!
Craigerrr
Just wanted to add a note to this, I tried an oz. Of dry hop in 1 keg and it made a very good tangerine flavor along with the prior recipe additions. No dank or tartness, just tangerine. Yup, lawnmower beer especial'.

Back