Go Big or Go Home

Hawkeye Brewing

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I have been brewing extracts and kits for awhile and its boring to me. I have done a lot of research online and I am going to start brewing from raw materials. Living in North Carolina I am a avid craft brew drinker and I fell in love with Catawba Brewery's Peanut Butter and Jelly Time Brown Ale.

I came across the following recipe for PB&J and would like to try it but it does not have any instructions with it. I need some paper guidance until I start feeling comfortable with brewing raw materials. Can anyone give me some idea's on how to brew this.

appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
7 lb
United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale7 lb Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 58.3%
2 lb
American - Wheat2 lb Wheat 38 1.8 16.7%
2 lb
American - Caramel / Crystal 60L2 lb Caramel / Crystal 60L 34 60 16.7%
0.5 lb
Flaked Oats0.5 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 4.2%
0.5 lb
Lactose (Milk Sugar)0.5 lb Lactose (Milk Sugar) 41 1 4.2%
12 lb Total

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz
Ahtanum0.5 oz Ahtanum Hops Pellet 6 Boil 60 min 11.08
1 oz belma1 oz belma Hops Pellet 10.4 Boil 5 min 7.66
1 oz belma1 oz belma Hops Pellet 10.4 Dry Hop 5 days

Show Summary View

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
0.5 oz Ahtanum Pellet 6
2 oz belma Pellet 10.4

2.5 oz Total

Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
8 oz peanut butter powder8 oz peanut butter powder Flavor Boil 1 hr.
4 oz
raspberry extract4 oz raspberry extract Flavor Secondary 5 days

Yeast

Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968
Amount:
Attenuation (avg):
69%
Flocculation:
Very High
Optimum Temp:
64 - 72 °F
Starter:
No

It looks like a pretty solid recipe although if you're just starting to go all grain you might consider doing a simpler batch to get your process and knowing your system (efficiency, water needed, etc...) Before jumping into crazy flavors. Just my $0.02. But good for you for making the jump I to grain and do what you want :p

In terms of how to brew any AG recipe that depends on the system you are planning to use. I use BIAB and highly recommend it as it makes it really easy since the only new thing you'll need is a bag that fits in your kettle. Basic instructions would look something like:
1) Use the brewers friend quick water calculator to calculate needed water and temperature to heat your strike water to and make sure you know the water you brew with to get a pH of around d 5.2-5.4.
2) heat full volume of water (somewhere around 7.5g for a 5g batch) to strike temp.
3) add grains, stir, and let mash for 60 min
4) pull out bag with grains, let drip,.and squeeze bag until you have your pre boil volume in the kettle (likely a little over 6g).
5) proceed to boil, add hops, continue as you would for extract.

Other thing I notice from your recipe is they say add fruit flavoring in secondary. I would just add it when you go to bottle/keg your brew and skip the secondary all together

The 1st thing I'd say in heading towards success would be to go to your local Home Brew shop, ask for some advice, and make sure you buy "How to Brew" from them.
Then read it!
Oh, and we'll help you from there!
Cheers,
Brian

It looks like a pretty solid recipe although if you're just starting to go all grain you might consider doing a simpler batch to get your process and knowing your system (efficiency, water needed, etc...) Before jumping into crazy flavors. Just my $0.02. But good for you for making the jump I to grain and do what you want :p

Agree with you 100%. Do you have any recommendations on what a good starter would be? I am not too picky when it comes to craft beer and the styles I like.

The 1st thing I'd say in heading towards success would be to go to your local Home Brew shop, ask for some advice, and make sure you buy "How to Brew" from them.
Then read it!
Oh, and we'll help you from there!
Cheers,
Brian

On it Brian Thanks. Actually going to a Brew Supply store today and sitting in on a grains class.

Agree with you 100%. Do you have any recommendations on what a good starter would be? I am not too picky when it comes to craft beer and the styles I like.

Since you've been brewing with extract for awhile it could be fun to pick one of your favorite extract recipes and try to repeat is with grain. That way you also have a little bit of a basic for how it should taste. Otherwise the first thing one of my be buddies wanted to brew AG was a cream ale or something equally as light because he felt he could never make a truly light beer with extract.

Sounds like you'll be getting a lot of great info before starting so you should be good. Your LHBS may try to sway you to a 3 tiered brewing setup but if you already have a big enough kettle (8+gal) the only thing you'll need to get started is a muslin bag for $10. Have fun and good luck with your first AG batch! When are you brewing?

Since you've been brewing with extract for awhile it could be fun to pick one of your favorite extract recipes and try to repeat is with grain. That way you also have a little bit of a basic for how it should taste. Otherwise the first thing one of my be buddies wanted to brew AG was a cream ale or something equally as light because he felt he could never make a truly light beer with extract.

Sounds like you'll be getting a lot of great info before starting so you should be good. Your LHBS may try to sway you to a 3 tiered brewing setup but if you already have a big enough kettle (8+gal) the only thing you'll need to get started is a muslin bag for $10. Have fun and good luck with your first AG batch! When are you brewing?

Thinking about doing it next weekend. The week after I will be on the west coast for a business trip so I thought that would be a perfect time for the fermenting to take place. Keeps my eyes and mind off it while I wait for the magic to happen.

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure to use a blow off tube if you're not positive you'll have enough head space. You may find you get a more vigorous fermentation when you use grain (especially at lower mash temps) and that would be a mess to come home to :p

Good luck!

Back