First Time Making Recipes

The Beer Snob

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am pretty new to brewing and have so far only done a couple small all grain kits, I am hoping to do my first recipe in a couple weeks and would like your opinion on my recipe, specifically the grain bill and the hop times. I am going for a nice silky porter with a nice chocolate and caramel taste. I want to eventually make this into a chili porter by adding in habinaro peppers in secondary, but one step at a time. Any thoughts on if I should change anything?

Also I dont have a ton of equipment yet and was wondering if you had any recommendations, specifically for the kettle and the fermentor.

Here is the recipe:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV: 5.11%
IBU: 32.95
SRM: 34.49
Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
1.25 lb Flaked Oats 33 2.2 11.4%
7.25 lb United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row 38 2.5 65.9%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Chocolate 34 425 6.8%
0.25 lb United Kingdom - Black Patent 27 525 2.3%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 6.8%
0.75 lb United Kingdom - Cara Malt 35 17.5 6.8%
11 lb Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Willamette Pellet 4.5 Boil 30 min 14.33
0.75 oz East Kent Goldings Pellet 5 Boil 60 min 15.54
0.5 oz Willamette Leaf/Whole 4.5 Boil 10 min 3.07

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
-- Infusion 156 F 60 min
Yeast Wyeast - Scottish Ale 1728
Attenuation (avg):71%
Flocculation:High
Optimum Temp: 55 - 75 °F
Starter: Yes
Fermentation Temp: 68 °F
Pitch Rate:0.5 (M cells / ml / ° P)

I agree with the poster from the other thread: This will be very dark. That much black patent might start to produce "burnt" flavors in the beer! BU:GU ratio is about 1:1.7, fairly balanced. I don't understand the function of that small amount of Maris Otter in the grist. Looks like it will make a pretty good beer if you reduce the amount of Black Patent.

I agree with the poster from the other thread: This will be very dark. That much black patent might start to produce "burnt" flavors in the beer! BU:GU ratio is about 1:1.7, fairly balanced. I don't understand the function of that small amount of Maris Otter in the grist. Looks like it will make a pretty good beer if you reduce the amount of Black Patent.
Okay thanks I will try to reduce the black patent by about half. Do you think I should add more Maris Otter or completely remove it? I thought it would add some biscuitness to the beer.

In that recipe I'd use it as all of my base malt. Either that or eliminate it all together. Your choice but given your statement, I'd replace all the two-row with Maris Otter.

In that recipe I'd use it as all of my base malt. Either that or eliminate it all together. Your choice but given your statement, I'd replace all the two-row with Maris Otter.
Thanks for the help. I will probably do that and replace the 2 row completely.

You could also just steep the black patent in water strain and add this to the boil to reduce that acrid ash tray flavour. Ive not done it myself though.

I like the flavor of black patent. A quarter pound in a 5 gallon batch (2.2% or so) definitely lets you know it’s in there!

Or, all-grain, you can mash cap with it: Add it to the top of your grist after you've drained the first runnings, sparge as usual. It'll color your beer without an hour of contact time to extract the harshness.

Thats interesting never thought about adding it just for the sparge, Will have to remember that for sure.

I've never thought of that either. That's an interesting idea.

Back