First stout ever

Matpaq

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, so i’m brewing with friends with a robot rew for a year now and we only did neipa since that what we lime the most. We’re in a brewclub and have somekind of a competition and tought according to the ingredient we are allow to use that we should give the stout a try. What would you think of that?

500 g German - Carafa II
3 kg Crisp - Finest Maris Otter (max we can use)
1.3 kg Rahr - Standard 6-Row
500 g Simpsons - Crystal Medium
350 g German - Melanoidin
100 g Bestmalz - BEST Acidulated
5.75 kg Total

Mash at 66, sparge at 77

50g Chinook Boil 18 min out of 90

Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
77%

Thanks for your help!

To be honest I have never used Carafa so I can't comment too much on the grain bill, my only comment would be that Chinook wouldn't be my first choice for a stout. Is using Chinook required by the rules of the competition? If so, I might be inclined to use a bit less of it earlier in the boil to keep your IBUs about the same, but give it enough time to boil off some of the more distinctive Chinook flavour.

I'd drop the melanoidin and replace it with flaked barley or oats.

The carafa II is going to add a little bit of roast flavour but not much. Personally I'd add in some roast barley, but you may not want that.

And completely agree with philjohnwilliams hopping comment. Add less at 60 or 90 would be my preference. The hops will really struggle to be found with all those malts, so I just focus on balancing the sweetness.

Hi, so i’m brewing with friends with a robot rew for a year now and we only did neipa since that what we lime the most. We’re in a brewclub and have somekind of a competition and tought according to the ingredient we are allow to use that we should give the stout a try. What would you think of that?

500 g German - Carafa II
3 kg Crisp - Finest Maris Otter (max we can use)
1.3 kg Rahr - Standard 6-Row
500 g Simpsons - Crystal Medium
350 g German - Melanoidin
100 g Bestmalz - BEST Acidulated
5.75 kg Total

Mash at 66, sparge at 77

50g Chinook Boil 18 min out of 90

Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation (avg):
77%

Thanks for your help!
Agree with above just use clean bittering hop addition after mash as sparging since I'm guessing your on a Robo Brew all in one unit.
I liked that roast barley caraffa 2 combo.in that brewfriend community stout even though I forgot to add chocolate malt. I'd add all three. Id drop the 6row and bulk it with Marris Otter unless 3kg is all you got? Some flaked barley or rolled oats for that more slick creamy mouthfeel heck I'm drooling good luck with it.

Oh you mightnt need the acid.malt if using more roasted malts eventually too btw just double check with the calculator.

Back