what yeast

jimmyz

Trial Member
Reaction score
It'll work just fine. I use S-23 a lot and that will tolerate surprisingly warm temps.
Your 2-row and Pilsner malts are redundant here. Unless you're just using up the tail end of a bag, I'd just use one or the other, preferably the Pilsner, depending on what it is.
Seems like your IBUs are pretty low, too. Most German style lagers are going to want over 10 at least and even a light American beer should have at least 8. You have basically a Marzen style malt bill so I'd push closer to 20. Since you're not posting the batch size, I have to assume that it's a 5-gallon or so based on the malt bill.

It'll work just fine. I use S-23 a lot and that will tolerate surprisingly warm temps.
Your 2-row and Pilsner malts are redundant here. Unless you're just using up the tail end of a bag, I'd just use one or the other, preferably the Pilsner, depending on what it is.
Seems like your IBUs are pretty low, too. Most German style lagers are going to want over 10 at least and even a light American beer should have at least 8. You have basically a Marzen style malt bill so I'd push closer to 20. Since you're not posting the batch size, I have to assume that it's a 5-gallon or so based on the malt bill.

Correct 5 gal batch. I will up the 2nd hop addition to two ozs. I also have some uk golden promiise around 40oz left- or is that just getting the water muddy?

Your flameout addition won't add any IBUs to speak of unless you no-chill. However you do it, get to over 10 IBUs at least or you'll have a balance that's just too malty and sweet.
Malt won't matter a lot if you're just using up leftovers of 2-row and pale malts. I wouldn't go out of my way to add anything other than Pilsner, Vienna and Munich, but if you have it to throw in, it's not going to ruin anything.

Back