You know you did it wrong when...

Had a couple of other instances of "you know you did it wrong" recently but with happier results.
A while back when shopping at the LHBS I bought a pound of Chinook, came home to realize that I had already bought a pound...
Guess what I did this week! I bought a pound of Citra only to come and realize that I had already bought a pound!
Two happy accidents!
Time to make lots of IPA loaded with Chinook and Citra.

Have hardly brewed at all in the last year, so it's all feeling a bit new today. Measure the pre-boil gravity and volume and I'm miles away from where I should be. Turns out the water volume lines in the kettle are in 1 litre increments. Not 2 litre increments as I stupidly guessed when I was filling up the kettle. So the boil is going a bit longer than the planned 30 minutes now. At least I picked it up before any hops went in the kettle.

Last edited:
Have hardly brewed at all in the last year, so it's all feeling a bit new today. Measure the pre-boil gravity and I'm miles away from where I should be. Turns out the water volume lines in the kettle are in 1 litre increments starting at 15 litres. Not 2 litre increments starting at 10 litre as I stupidly guessed when I was filling up the kettle. So the boil is going a bit longer than the planned 30 minutes now. At least I picked it up before any hops went in the kettle.
Good catch, good luck.

Have hardly brewed at all in the last year, so it's all feeling a bit new today. Measure the pre-boil gravity and volume and I'm miles away from where I should be. Turns out the water volume lines in the kettle are in 1 litre increments. Not 2 litre increments as I stupidly guessed when I was filling up the kettle. So the boil is going a bit longer than the planned 30 minutes now. At least I picked it up before any hops went in the kettle.
Hey atleast your back at it hope the brewday went OK.
Bit rusty aye :D

Yesterday while transferring from kettle to fermenter, I made a newbie error. I didn't check to see if the valve was closed. I caught it after losing about 12 oz on the floor. Yeesh!
I've done something likewise attaching the picnic tap to the keg with the picnic tap in the open position

You know you did something wrong when you want to try your brew and nothing comes out of the tap.
So you change to another picnic tap that you know works well.
No, still nothing.
Scratch head
Think again.
I had this before. Gotta be the beer dip line. Think proper.
Can't think of anything else it could be.
Change tapping head on the oxebar keg and indeed beer line is not connected.
OK, sorted. Purge jeg a couple of times. Should be good to go.
But now there's a hiss...
OK, I don't like this.
Try tightening, but metal and plastics are not a good match.
Clean old tapping head. Attach beer line with cable tie and change the whole lot around again.
Silence...
Silence is good.
Purge keg again. Have a taste. Beer is nice. Needs a bit more carbonation, but nice
Still silence while putting 30 psi in the jeg at my room temperature.
All good, but may have to drink the beer reasonably fast.

I can't undo the connectors at the tapping head that hisses. And I am not sure which connecter is the culprit.
Anyone got any good ideas? They are tight and my tools are steel. They fit, but will tear into the plastic when I put too much power.
Maybe a monkey wrench and cloth?

Brewing a light Ale this morning. My Anvil seemed to take longer than usual to heat up. Thinking bad, expensive thoughts here... when sparging it didnt take much water, hmmmm. Oh I see ,I started with about six and a half gallons of water

When you open the lid of the fermenting keg to add yeast starter and the bloody lids O ring drops in :oops: !

Lucky I had another keg that kicked so fermentations happening with the O ring in situation lol.
You'll have to put an "O" somewhere in the name of that beer to remind you of the special ingredient! ;)

When you've ripped apart your whole system, bought new equiptment modified the new equiptment, only to realize the whole problem was a bad cord running 240 to the brew kettle...broken wire in the outlet that I plug it into...

In my defense, there had been a water leak into the base of the kettle and figured that it must have gotten the wiring wet and shorted it out. Never even occured to me to check the outlet, breaker never tripped(of corse with a broken contact, there was never a short.)

When you've ripped apart your whole system, bought new equiptment modified the new equiptment, only to realize the whole problem was a bad cord running 240 to the brew kettle...broken wire in the outlet that I plug it into...

In my defense, there had been a water leak into the base of the kettle and figured that it must have gotten the wiring wet and shorted it out. Never even occured to me to check the outlet, breaker never tripped(of corse with a broken contact, there was never a short.)
So did you plug the new unit in and no Show OMG Wow lol!

So did you plug the new unit in and no Show OMG Wow lol!
Pretty much, think I'm going to donate a DigiBoil to the local HS Ag program(they do maple syrup, daughter is an FFA officer). Pretty sure that a 65l will be a big inprovement over the stock pot they've been using last couple years.

In hindsight, probably should have plugged it in before I installed the whirlpool fitting...

That sucks! Or does it? You and the high school both get upgrades; you can claim the donation on your taxes; and you keep the economy growing! Sounds like a win all around.

On occasion DIY’ers come up with a brilliant idea like i did for this old better bottle. Add a spigot and use it for drinking water! Why didnt i think of that before? Hmm i probably did and realized it was a bad idea. The nut!
IMG_3967.jpeg

Last edited:

Back