You know you did it wrong when...

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Let's see if we can get this thread going. I'll start.

When you hook up your CO2 line to your keg and you hear gurgling.

jeffpn said:
Let's see if we can get this thread going. I'll start.

When you hook up your CO2 line to your keg and you hear gurgling.

Great way to quick-carb a beer, though! :)

you didn't do anything wrong, its from the beer level being higher than the gas post and it creates bubbles, perfectly normal

you come home from work and it smells like someone's been farting in your house like a troupe of circus elephants!!

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
you didn't do anything wrong, its from the beer level being higher than the gas post and it creates bubbles, perfectly normal
I hooked up my gas line to the liquid side. That was my point. When I heard the gurgling, I instantly thought, "That ain't right!"

When you're using your counterflow chiller, and suddenly there's hot wort pouring over your hand.

Rodbrew70 said:
you come home from work and it smells like someone's been farting in your house like a troupe of circus elephants!!
This, also, could be a byproduct of normal fermentation. It could also be a byproduct of eating beans.

I have a Witbier that currently smells like the gates of hell. It should clean itself up. If not, it's drain cleaner.

Methinks the point of this thread was missed. I thought a thread where people post their silly little brewing mistakes might be fun.

Well technically my troupe of farting elephants was a mistake! I made the newbie error of brewing too warm and getting way to much Sulfur smell! Since I've ditched the heat belt the brews bubble along at a steady pace and the smell if any, is contained within the brewroom not seeping into all the corners of the house!! It was so bad it was beyond blaming the dog, and the missus!

...when you see the bathtub ring around the inside of the bottle and there's unanticipated funk coming from it.

When you notice your blow off tubes are full of water 1 day after cold crashing your fermentors....

Watered it down a bit but it still tastes ok... I'm going to keep going on this recipe and see what happens...

When the beers you make for your wife look better than the beers you make for yourself. She's a slow drinker, so her kegs last ages. Proof that time does make a better looking beer!

is it fair to say i know something went wrong when nothing went wrong?? 2 easy near perfect brew sessions in a row, what's the catch?

... that gurgling brook sound is an open spigot (and you brew inside).

That reminds me of one from about a year ago.

... you feel hot wort pouring over your hand as your hose slips off the counterflow chiller. (Also inside the house.)

... when you let your wife decide what will be on one of your 6 taps. Takes her forever to finish a keg. Sure makes for a bright beer though!

I pushed a beer on to my dad and said it was really good, he had it and said that was the best beer I've brewed then the tap poured all foam...oops You know you did it wrong when...you drank the hole keg in a week and didn't realize it :mrgreen:

...when you end up with nearly 1/2 gallon more in your fermenter than at end of boil. (Loose hose clamp on the imersion chiller. :oops: )

Back