You know you did it wrong when...

When you decide to cold crash in the fermenter the day before racking to the keg and you leave the blow off tube in the starsan solution and the next morning you got suck back into the fermenter.. DOH! fortunately it wasnt much starsan but damn i feel dumb! Should have just waited until I transferred into the keg and then cold crash.

Brings me to something I've been wondering about...
If you use a blow off tube, how long those the pipe need to be and how far below the fermenter to not get suck back.

More of an explanation:
You got a blow off pipe going into a starsan or vodka solution. The pipe fills with CO2 during fermentation.
You could even have a long pipe sitting way below your fermenter.
Now how long does this pipe neeb to be and/or how far below your fermenter not to get suck bac

If you use a blow off tube, how long those the pipe need to be and how far below the fermenter to not get suck back.

More of an explanation:
You got a blow off pipe going into a starsan or vodka solution. The pipe fills with CO2 during fermentation.
Now how long does this pipe neeb to be and/or how far below your fermenter not to get suck bac
That's a good question

More of an explanation:
Basically you want the tube to be long enough that it will suck up all the liquid in the jar and start sucking air, which will make the liquid fall back in before it gets in your fermentor

Basically you want the tube to be long enough that it will suck up all the liquid in the jar and start sucking air, which will make the liquid fall back in before it gets in your fermentor
Exactly.

My tube is about 40 cm, with a 12 mm inside diameter. It will hold about 45 ccs, about 1.5 ounces, so I leave the starsan level only 2-3 mm below the tip of the tube.

I take the tube out, bend it and crip, set my fermentor to 50ish, once reached I add back to star sans jar

Back