You know you did it wrong when...

Just think how fun it will be to remove to clean after each brew...

I can't see your picture @WesBrew ....did you use the string method? Drop the nut down a string run between the top hole and the faucet hole? I used that for my rain barrels...works great!

I can't see your picture @WesBrew ....did you use the string method? Drop the nut down a string run between the top hole and the faucet hole? I used that for my rain barrels...works great!
that is a good idea but no. i threw the nut in there and flipped the bottom of the bottle until i got a leaner. It only took 2 minutes. I nestled the bottle in some junk on the table saw and used that big nail puller to nudge the nut on top of the threads. Used the weight of the pry bar to hold the nut still while i turned the spigot from the outside.

You know you did it wrong when you keep wondering why the beer seems reasonably carbonated but the pressure in your keg stays low...

Yes, indeed.
I changed accidently to bar
Just figured it out this morning when I heard a little hiss from the prv

You know you did it wrong when you keep wondering why the beer seems reasonably carbonated but the pressure in your keg stays low...

Yes, indeed.
I changed accidently to bar
Just figured it out this morning when I heard a little hiss from the prv
As in, like, 10 Bar? :eek:
Yeah, no es bueno.

I was thinking that my counterflow chiller wasn't doing the job very well, I was having to re circulate back to the kettle to bring the temperature down quite a bit before I could cool to desired temperature in one pass. I realized yesterday that I had been connecting the in and out to the wrong ends, running cooling water and wort in the same direction.
This is better...
Cooling water wide open, wort pump throttled down slightly
20240302_114746.jpg

20240302_114739.jpg

You have to wonder how many hints you have to receive before you realize your being a dumb a$$. I made a batch of Wayer's Pale Ale straight from the recipe found here. Yesterday I mentioned " that's a lot of grain, doesn't fit in my 5 gallon bucket". I knew that so I added a bit more water to the strike.
look at the recipe .... Hmmm says 1.057 pre boil, seems low for that much grain, Geee I an hardly stir this stuff. Ohh... 1.057 is Post boil 1.046 is pre boil...
Well how in the heck can that be? OH! THIS IS AN 8 GALLON BATCH!. Who woudda thunk!
had to add a lot more water and a second fermenter and the second fermenter got some tasty back of the refrigerator yeast.

Last edited:
Thats not too bad...
I almost forgot the yeast after no chill.
Nicely transferred all to fermenter, tugged the fermenter in its cosy duvet box but with this faint niggle that something was wrong....
Little while later I went to get something from the fridge and saw the yeast sitting there...
Some proper swear words later, the yeast was pitched.

That last minute Hmmm. Let's throw that caramunich that's been sitting around into the bock and make it even better. Wrong, It Sucks! 5 gallons of suckage bound for the drain.
Can you age it with maybe some oak chips? Is there anything you can do before you dump it?

You have to wonder how many hints you have to receive before you realize your being a dumb a$$
More hints that I got when I added 2 pounds (0.9kg) of roasted barley instead of 2 ounces! It was one of the quarterly brews (don't remember which one) so I was taking the recipe as it was written. And since all my recipes were measured in pounds only (scale at my LHBS was digital) I never looked at the unit-of-measure. While scooping it out of the grain bin, I thought: Gee, that's a lot of roasted barley...but, the author knows what he is doing. When I was draining the mash tun I thought: Gee that wort is darker than it should be...but, the author knows what he's doing. And finally when transferring the wort to the fermenter again I thought: Gee that wort really is super dark...but, the author knows what he is doing....but let me check the recipe.....Oh
Swearing
...ounces not pounds! Well the author knew what he was doing....but I did not! :rolleyes:

Can you age it with maybe some oak chips? Is there anything you can do before you dump it?
Any kind of brew n blend is going to take a lot of work and likely to still suck. Pretty sure no oakchips . Maybe i could get some light pils locally and blend a beer already made. Or play taps and dump it

Back