What's your next brew

Oh no! You just put a ding in my confidence armor!:eek: I'll keep you posted.
My guess is that it was something I did on my end (though I have no idea what) and not the yeast. By most accounts, its a great yeast and one I will definitely use again, though I would try to ferment much cooler the next time around. Maybe in the low 60's.

I'm doing 3 gallons of English IPA with, as best as I can do, Burtonized water (the decarbonated profile). Problem is getting enough sodium and sulfate in without resorting to food-grade sodium sulfate. I can order some, it's pricey and won't get here by the time I brew.

I'm doing 3 gallons of English IPA with, as best as I can do, Burtonized water (the decarbonated profile). Problem is getting enough sodium and sulfate in without resorting to food-grade sodium sulfate. I can order some, it's pricey and won't get here by the time I brew.
I’ve wanted to brew one. Loved the few English ones I have drank. I found one for Samual Smith India Ale (really like it). What I read seems to be simple ingredient wise. Care to share some recipe thoughts?

Last edited:
Maris Otter. East Kent Goldings. Dry English yeast. What I can tell is that the water is the dominant factor - decarbonated Burton water has over 700 ppm sulfate.

Maris Otter. East Kent Goldings. Dry English yeast. What I can tell is that the water is the dominant factor - decarbonated Burton water has over 700 ppm sulfate.
That’s kind of what I thought. I’ve never messed with water....

Brewing my Hunter's Pale Ale right now. Pulled the lid off of my Digiboil to stir the mash and forgot to put the pump outlet hose back through the lid before turning the pump back on. Luckily not running a high flow, so only lost about 1 qt. Guess who's going to be deep cleaning the kitchen later today?

English IPA, 3 gallons, complete with "Burtonized" water - I've found it to be impossible without food-grade sodium sulfate so I got as close as I could.

Edit: I found and ordered food grade sodium sulfate but the water chemistry calculator doesn't support it. Looks like I'll be doing some Excel work....

After I eat breakfast and get some water from the local RO dispenser, I’ll be brewing Herm’s Amber Ale using 64 oz Pale Ale Malt 3.5L, 10 oz caramel/crystal 60L, 3.55 oz Munich-Light 10L, 3.55 oz Carapils 1.8L and 3.55 oz German Acidulated 3.4L. Simcoe for bittering, Centennial at 20 minutes and Cascade at flame out. Safale US-05 will be my yeast. The brew will be made using my new 5.5 gallon kettle and my new 3 gallon ported FerMonster.

Brewing my Hunter's Pale Ale right now. Pulled the lid off of my Digiboil to stir the mash and forgot to put the pump outlet hose back through the lid before turning the pump back on. Luckily not running a high flow, so only lost about 1 qt. Guess who's going to be deep cleaning the kitchen later today?

Update: Outside of the mess, it didn't hurt a bit. Ended up hitting volume and gravity spot on. I usually pull the malt pipe when I hit vioume and sit it in a bucket that gets dumped when I clean the malt pipe. Let it sit until almost at a boil and dumped the wort into the kettle instead. Voila? It's all good.

image.jpg
New brew kettle in action, heating strike/mash water. Obviously, this barely fits on my stove, and it barely does not fit in my oven. So now with grains doughed in, I have the kettle wrapped in a towel on the countertop.

View attachment 13242 New brew kettle in action, heating strike/mash water. Obviously, this barely fits on my stove, and it barely does not fit in my oven. So now with grains doughed in, I have the kettle wrapped in a towel on the countertop.
Time to remodel the kitchen to fit your brew kettle! Priorities.

Looks good!

For Herm Brews ...

From your friendly neighborhood cheapskate. If you know anyone who gets Blue Apron meals, they sometimes ship in large thermal bags that look like a lesser version of reflectix. I grabbed one from my son and used it on my last BIAB mash. Fit right over my kettle with a few snips for the ball valve and thermometer. Held temp within 2 degrees for 60+ minutes.
BTW - that kettle is a beauty!

For Herm Brews ...

From your friendly neighborhood cheapskate. If you know anyone who gets Blue Apron meals, they sometimes ship in large thermal bags that look like a lesser version of reflectix. I grabbed one from my son and used it on my last BIAB mash. Fit right over my kettle with a few snips for the ball valve and thermometer. Held temp within 2 degrees for 60+ minutes.
BTW - that kettle is a beauty!
Good tip, thanks.

Back