What's your next brew

My next will be an Irish Red as well. Very similar to yours, except I use Wyeast 1084 and Fuggles and EKG. I've seen Fuggles get a bad rap so have always avoided them but, I saw an old You Tube video on Smithwicks and in it they panned past a sack of Fuggles. So I gave it a go and liked the herbal aroma and flavor. In the last recipe I used Golden Promise and this time I will use Maris Otter. I was a touch too dark and sweet last time so I also want to change from crystal 40L to crystal 30L. Maybe mash a couple degrees lower to get a more fermentable wort.

My next will be an Irish Red as well. Very similar to yours, except I use Wyeast 1084 and Fuggles and EKG. I've seen Fuggles get a bad rap so have always avoided them but, I saw an old You Tube video on Smithwicks and in it they panned past a sack of Fuggles. So I gave it a go and liked the herbal aroma and flavor. In the last recipe I used Golden Promise and this time I will use Maris Otter. I was a touch too dark and sweet last time so I also want to change from crystal 40L to crystal 30L. Maybe mash a couple degrees lower to get a more fermentable wort.
I have a decent amount of ekg and no fuggles unfortunately. I used progress before and it’s supposed to be similar fuggles and it made 2-3 good beers for me. The medium British crystal is my only crystal malt. I need to diversify but with small batches it’s hard to store it all. Will using the one crystal malt be ok for me?

I have a decent amount of ekg and no fuggles unfortunately. I used progress before and it’s supposed to be similar fuggles and it made 2-3 good beers for me. The medium British crystal is my only crystal malt. I need to diversify but with small batches it’s hard to store it all. Will using the one crystal malt be ok for me?
Irish ale is not supposed to be complicated. Looks to me you are both headed in the right direction.

Sounds good. I like Notty. Pretty solid fermenter for any dryish style.

Bit late on reporting it, but I have finally decided to brew something different!
My last "big change" was switching from an ale to lager yeast about year ago, but most of my hop / malt bill remained the same and I have been brewing Czech Amber Lager since...but this time I have decided to go for a Maibock. :)
Can't say the hops will be true to style, as I had some Comet I really needed to use up, but I ordered some Pilsener and Munich malts for the first time again in years!!
Proud to say, having gotten familiar with my particular set up over years of brewing 25 - 28 Litres of ~ 5.5%ABV with the occassional stronger brew thrown in for a bit of a change, I hit all of my numbers absolutely spot on for 21 Litres of a 17.2° OG wort.
Will see how attenuation does, but a 2 Litre starter of W 34/70 at 9°C should turn out alright. :D

Next up here is a new IPA recipe I call 4 Cs Using up some left over grain and some of my favorite C hops.
78% Briess Brewers Malt, 14% Briess Pale Ale Malt & 8% Briess Rye Malt, mashed@153. Doing a 90 minute boil with 28g Centennial@30, 42g Cascade@10, 42g CTZ@1, and Chinook@60 to make 65 total IBUs. Fermenting with Cali Dry Ale slurry@66 and dry hopping with 21g each, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook & CTZ. Looking for OG=66, FG~10, ABV ~6.5%. My normal 5.25 gal, batch size at ~74% efficiency. Should have already been brewed, but too much food & drink left me with a bad case of apathy. New plan is New Years day.

Have to check my firing order - doing Mikey's threw things out of whack. Looks like next up is a Biere de Garde.

I am a bit spoiled in that I really don't need to decide what grain I want until I walk into my LHBS store.

Black IPA - Carbonating
Shady Bohemian - Cold Crashing
Wayner's Pale Ale - Fermenting
Next up
David Heath's ESB

Come February 1st I will be a kid in a candy store!

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-19_16-44-40.png
    upload_2021-1-19_16-44-40.png
    752.7 KB · Views: 62
I’m gong to brew a 1 gallon batch of a pale lager this weekend. Really for sharing. Got a friend or two who are in the bud light camp who want to try something homemade. Also to round out a few 6 pack samplers. Since I bought a keg I have been bottling so I’m behind on my sharing.

Next “real” brew will be a dunkel or Vienna lager next week to keep in schedule to fill the keg. I did get a few bottles off the Irish red ale to share but tons of trub came with it.

Black IPA - Carbonating
Shady Bohemian - Cold Crashing
Wayner's Pale Ale - Fermenting
Next up
David Heath's ESB

Come February 1st I will be a kid in a candy store!

Ooooh, do you have a recipe page built for that ESB?

I know that I don't need to use the Lyles syrup, but I ordered some anyways.
David swears by it!

upload_2021-1-20_13-3-7.png

Recipe scaled to my system, and ingredients changed to suit what was available.

Extra Special Bitter

5.5% / 13.3 °P
Recipe by
David Heath
All Grain
BrewZilla / RoboBrew 35L
78% efficiency
Batch Volume: 21 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 19.43 L
Sparge Water: 9.44 L
Total Water: 28.87 L
Boil Volume: 25.44 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047
Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU (Tinseth): 36
Color: 13.5 SRM
Mash
Temperature — 65 °C — 60 min
Mash Out — 75 °C — 10 min
Malts (4.45 kg)
3.99 kg (85.1%) — Briess Brewers Malt 2-Row — Grain — 1.9 °L
140 g (3%) — BestMalz Wheat Malt — Grain — 2.3 °L
130 g (2.8%) — Simpsons Crystal Medium — Grain — 67.5 °L
100 g (2.1%) — Weyermann Carafa Special III — Grain — 347.2 °L
90 g (1.9%) — Weyermann Acidulated — Grain — 2 °L
Other (240 g)
240 g (5.1%) — Lyle's Golden Syrup — Liquid Extract — 0 °L — Boil — 10 min
Hops (76.8 g)
20 g (28 IBU) — Magnum 12% — Boil — 60 min
28.4 g (7 IBU) — Fuggle 5.2% — Boil — 10 min
28.4 g (1 IBU) — Fuggle 5.2% — Aroma — 10 min hopstand
Hopstand at 80C
Miscs
4.2 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
0.9 g — Canning Salt (NaCl) — Mash
3.0 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
4.2 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
Yeast
1 pkg — Fermentis S-04 SafAle English Ale 75%
Fermentation
Primary — 20 °C — 14 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol
Water Profile
Ca2+79 Mg2+11 Na+21 Cl-98 SO42-130 HCO3-16

This is the recipe from the "ESB Beer Brewing Recipe Writing & Style Guide" found on the Youtube Channel David Heath Homebrew. Edited for available ingredients.

Back