What's your next brew

I plan to rebrew a Smithwick's clone (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/726827/irish-red-smithwicks-) that turned out really good when I brewed it a couple months back. I will probably tweak one or two things, because I can't just leave well enough alone.:)

Love Smithwick's. When we were in Ireland last year, my wife and all of her relatives were Guinness drinkers, but I stuck with Smithwick's unless there was a good craft brew to be had.

Love Smithwick's. When we were in Ireland last year, my wife and all of her relatives were Guinness drinkers, but I stuck with Smithwick's unless there was a good craft brew to be had.
I also like the occasional Smithwicks, can't always get it when I want it though

About a week from now will be brewing my C&C (crisp & clean) IPA. A light colored West Coaster with Briess Brewers malt, C-15, Red Wheat and some Sucrose, bittered with Bravo, Simcoe and Liberty for late kettle additions, and dry hopped with all 3. Fermenting with BRY-97 slurry. Expected OG=1.069, FG=1.012 so it should weigh in at ~7.5% ABV. Half of the 67 IBUs will be coming from Bravo at 60, hence the crispness.

I am doing my pilsner today with 34/70 that I built a starter off of 100ml I remembered to keep off the starter I did for a Doppelbock earlier this week. It was from April and took right off.

So just to check back in on this, the Cali Dry yeast did a fantastic job with the Nautical Star. Not sure what the deal was with my other brew... Anyway, turned out great and I'll probably order more in the future.

Thanks for the update. Now I'm more comfortable trying it out. Glad your NS turned out good.

Not sure what to brew next, I have a Cranberry Chocolate Stout, and a Christmas Ale ready to bottle. Also have a West Coast IPA, and a Hazy to keg next weekend. Maybe it is time to tackle that ESB, thinking that I will go with David Heath's recipe.

Not sure what to brew next, I have a Cranberry Chocolate Stout, and a Christmas Ale ready to bottle. Also have a West Coast IPA, and a Hazy to keg next weekend. Maybe it is time to tackle that ESB, thinking that I will go with David Heath's recipe.
Having brewed his Vienna Lager I wouldnt hesitate to brew another of his recipes.

Hunter's Pale Ale (5.25 gal.) scheduled for Saturday. 86% Briess Pale Ale Malt, 9.5% C-15, 4.5% Red Wheat, An ounce each Cascade, Liberty & Simcoe @ 5, and Warrior @ 60 to hit a total of 40 IBUs. Mashing at 152 and fermenting with Cali Ale slurry @ 66. OG 10.53, FG 1.012 for ~5.5%ABV

Taking a shot at a Hefewiezen. 10 lbs white Wheat, 1 lb Munich, 1 lb Rice Hulls. Using for the first time Lallemand Munich Classic yeast. Will ferment at 66 - 68F

Taking a shot at a Hefewiezen. 10 lbs white Wheat, 1 lb Munich, 1 lb Rice Hulls. Using for the first time Lallemand Munich Classic yeast. Will ferment at 66 - 68F
Good luck, keep us posted. I would love to hear your take on Munich Classic. My one effort with it (in a Dunkelweizen) was rather uninspiring. Fermented well, and the taste was fine with slight banana, but I was left with a peculiar aroma in the finished beer. That could have been attributed to A LOT of factors, but it was an aroma I hadn't ever had prior, or since. I fermented at 68-72° (krausen at 72°) liquid temp.

Good luck, keep us posted. I would love to hear your take on Munich Classic. My one effort with it (in a Dunkelweizen) was rather uninspiring. Fermented well, and the taste was fine with slight banana, but I was left with a peculiar aroma in the finished beer. That could have been attributed to A LOT of factors, but it was an aroma I hadn't ever had prior, or since. I fermented at 68-72° (krausen at 72°) liquid temp.
Oh no! You just put a ding in my confidence armor!:eek: I'll keep you posted.

Back