Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

Tweaked the recipe for what I have on hand, here's where I'm at.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1200124
I predict that's going to be a very fine beer. :) I'm tempted to try the Mauribrew 497 on this style, as well and I'll probably do so on the next batch. For this one, I'm going to split and use Nottingham for half and White Labs 004 for the other. I've been wanting to use that Irish Ale yeast for a Guinness style beer and the slurry from 5 gallons of this red should be a great pitch for 10-15 gallons of the Guinness.

So I've made a couple of tweaks to finalize the recipe. Nothing that will change the character. I've increased the Munich just a little to use up the last of my supply and upped the roasted barley just enough to keep it eaxactly at the 1 percent mark. I also tweaked the water additions to reflect a couple of changes I wanted to make in the PH and sulfite balance.
I'm in the middle of a garage repainting/deep clean/reorganizing that has my brew system completely disassembled but should be able to finish up and get brewing by middle of this coming week. ;)

I predict that's going to be a very fine beer. :) I'm tempted to try the Mauribrew 497 on this style, as well and I'll probably do so on the next batch. For this one, I'm going to split and use Nottingham for half and White Labs 004 for the other. I've been wanting to use that Irish Ale yeast for a Guinness style beer and the slurry from 5 gallons of this red should be a great pitch for 10-15 gallons of the Guinness.
I’ve had some nice results with 497, seems pretty versatile. Really at its best with 4+ weeks lagering, extremely clean with a little time. Never been able to quite put my finger on it, but it has a bit of an “off” flavor for the first 2-3 weeks.

I did the opposite. Used Irish ale yeast for an Irish red and the slurry in an Irish Stout.

I’ve had some nice results with 497, seems pretty versatile. Really at its best with 4+ weeks lagering, extremely clean with a little time. Never been able to quite put my finger on it, but it has a bit of an “off” flavor for the first 2-3 weeks.
That off flavor is what I experienced, as well...just not a particularly good beer at first. With some time in the keg, it definitely improves. I want to use it for something more big and bitter next time I use it.

That off flavor is what I experienced, as well...just not a particularly good beer at first. With some time in the keg, it definitely improves. I want to use it for something more big and bitter next time I use it.
I was doing some reading about pitch rates this morning, thinking maybe the off flavors have been coming from a massive overpitch. According to Brouland's yeast list 497 has a pitch rate of 2g to 10l. Mangrove Jack's lists 10g to 23l for M54(same yeast). That works out to 5-10g for my batch size(5.5 Gallon). I've been pitching 25. Going to try 10g in the next batch and see how it goes.

Gonna get my Irish on first thing tomorrow morning.

2DB2DD0E-2378-4DA4-A182-83C4D95A6029.jpeg

All done but the fermenting and drinking. I was certain I had a sachet of 04 yeast, but the best laid plans - 'gang aft a-gley' as Bobby Burns once said. I had a packet of Cellar Science English for just such an occasion. My guess is that they repackage yeast so I'm assuming it's either 04 or Notty.
39527.png

All done but the fermenting and drinking. I was certain I had a sachet of 04 yeast, but the best laid plans - 'gang aft a-gley' as Bobby Burns once said. I had a packet of Cellar Science English for just such an occasion. My guess is that they repackage yeast so I'm assuming it's either 04 or Notty.
View attachment 17839
Thatll do the trick I'm sure:)!

I got some sweet sweet craft malt from the local guy I know so I will need to do this as soon as the pale ale I did on the weekend is finished. Sadly one of my fermonsters got a massive crack in the bottom of it from somewhere so I tossed it. I could probably have JB welded it but I don't want to risk another crack forming with 6 gallons of wort in it.

I got some sweet sweet craft malt from the local guy I know so I will need to do this as soon as the pale ale I did on the weekend is finished. Sadly one of my fermonsters got a massive crack in the bottom of it from somewhere so I tossed it. I could probably have JB welded it but I don't want to risk another crack forming with 6 gallons of wort in it.
Or exposing your wort to JB Weld, which can leach unhappy chemicals in.

I "packaged" the beer today. That's a misnomer. I had fermented in the keg, but I drew off a pint or so to get trub out and added some gas. The FG reading was right at recommended 1009. The test jar tasted fookin bril. Now I want space in the keezer

Or exposing your wort to JB Weld, which can leach unhappy chemicals in.
It probably wouldn't be to big a deal on the outside, but I was annoyed so I just tossed it.

Been taking a bit longer to get organized for the brew day but the garage "makeover" is about done and I can re-organize and setup the system for a brew. Besides today is the first day that the temp has been cooperative. It's been muggy and in the high 80s most days this month. o_O

Back