Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

Got mine brewed up today. Recipe was only 1 oz of Roasted barley but we'll see if that's actually what the LHBS guy weighed out. It seemed darker than 11 SRM to me, but we won't know until it's in a glass

Got mine brewed up today. Recipe was only 1 oz of Roasted barley but we'll see if that's actually what the LHBS guy weighed out. It seemed darker than 11 SRM to me, but we won't know until it's in a glass
Mine was 15.4 SRM in the calculator just for a colour approx

English roasted barley is a lot darker. 520L vs 300L for Briess. So I’m off in color sometimes but I always use English roast

Last edited:

Well I'll be using 49g of Roasted Barley @488Lav for 5gal and that is only 1 3/4 oz.... so your 1oz sounds about right

@J A
Irish Red

I’m not an expert on Irish Reds as I usually find most commercial examples a bit too sweet, but this beer checks all the boxes for what I would want in the style.
Stick your nose in the glass and you’re transported to your favorite pub, Willamette coming across as very English/earthy/floral here.
Taste has a slight roastiness and an obvious candy sweetness that does not linger. There’s a malty presence for sure, but this finishes dry and invites another sip. Sessionable!
I used WY1450 and it cleared up nicely. Absolutely clean, no esters.

Very easy drinking. What more could you want. Thanks J A for an excellent beer that I never would have brewed otherwise. Now it will join regular rotation.

Cheers!

That looks absolutely lovely!! :) Good work.
I've been lagging behind for weeks as I slowly get my garage/brewing area re-organized and get the brewhouse back on line. It doesn't help that I use the same area for making sausage and a 25lb batch of venison summer sausage needed tending to in order to clear the freezer for this year's hunt.
I'm cued up to get things put back together today and brew over the next few days. I'll be quite happy if my batch turns out as good as yours obviously did. :D

Took a final gravity on the Irish Red 1.008 That Nottingham ripped through.
Smells good and i think looks red enough
View attachment 18172
Ben, in my opinion, that color is spot on! Any darker and you muddy things up a bit and any lighter would miss the copper/red and just an amber. No harm in that, of course, but this is a very enticing look! :) Nice work!

Didnt get around to posting this yesterday evening.
Heres my crack at JA's Irish ale.
Resized_20211117_173813.jpeg

I love that earth sorta woody hop nose mixed with the malty aroma. It had a great body but finishes clean and crisp . The head is tight and creamy.
I like it alot!:)
Cheers JA for a fine brew

I hope so.

Since no one was telling me I was just doubling down on stupid, I decided to add 12 g pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) and 6 g baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). Hopefully I wind up with a drinkable beer.

I transferred, what I'm calling "Not JA's Irish Red", to a secondary vessel today and gave it a taste. It's always hard to judge a beer prior to being carbonated, but it wasn't all that bad. In spite of my rescue attempts I still expected something awful. It is obviously a bit roasty, but no where near the roasted bomb I was expecting. It is a touch sour but, again, not near what I was expecting. There is a definite minerally quality to it as well, but that's to be expecting the additions I made. I would definitely not call this a good beer but, I think it will be quite drinkable....probably :rolleyes:. Thank you for all the advice I received! You all earned your "Saved A Beer" merit badges!

Edit: I only moved it to secondary because I'm brewing a New Glarus Spotted Cow-ish beer tomorrow and needed my Speidel fermenter for that.

Finally got mine brewed today, after a few false starts this week. I hadn't quite gotten around to completely re-organizing my brewing stuff after clearing, cleaning and painting the garage so there was plenty of rummaging and cursing. :D :D
I hit all the numbers and got 83% efficiency. I did my long mash but a shorter sparge than usual and it all worked out very well. I left out the acidulated malt because I've been noticing that my mash pH results have been lower than the prediction in the recipe calculator. I measured at several points during the mash, knowing that I could adjust with some lactic acid. I ended up with a slightly higher pH than I had been getting on previous brews. We'll see how that expresses in the finished beer. The color seems to be quite nice and we'll see if it gets to a nice brilliant reddish amber or goes a little brownish.
I've split the batch into two carboys and pitched one with Nottingham and one with WLP-004. Can't wait to try them in a side-by-side comparison in a couple of weeks! :D

I did a batch of your Irish Red a couple days ago. Ended up using Nottingham as I ordered the wrong 004. Bubbling along nicely now.

Reactions: J A
I love that earth sorta woody hop nose mixed with the malty aroma. It had a great body but finishes clean and crisp . The head is tight and creamy.
I like it alot!:)
Cheers JA for a fine brew
I spent a lot of the afternoon yesterday with a nose full of Willamette hop aroma. I really think it's my favorite all-around hop. It's got such a unique spicy-floral nose that's just super pleasant for me. I really am looking forward to this batch. I think my tweaks have given me the balance I've been looking for in this beer. :)

Just kegged the Notty batch...It's not clear or fully carbed but the flavor is great and I'm lovin' the color! :) The 004 batch didn't attenuate as well but samples are showing a lot of malt and a cleaner flavor profile. I'll be kegging that one tomorrow. :)

20211201_155846.jpg

Just kegged the Notty batch...It's not clear or fully carbed but the flavor is great and I'm lovin' the color! :) The 004 batch didn't attenuate as well but samples are showing a lot of malt and a cleaner flavor profile. I'll be kegging that one tomorrow. :)

View attachment 18431
Just curious what your FG was with Nottingham?
Mine chugged down to 1.008 which I was impressed with.

Just curious what your FG was with Nottingham?
Mine chugged down to 1.008 which I was impressed with.
Notty went from 1.053 to 1.010 for 81%. Another notch or two might have been fine but would have made for a stronger beer than might be peferred, given my high marks on the OG.
The WLP-004 just barely went 75% and finished about 1.013 which was a bit disappointing but I had a problem with low temps in the chamber and had a hard time getting up into a good range. Low pitch rate, low O2 saturation and low temps made for a stressed yeast and a bit of a stall. I decided I wouldn't cry over it as the flavor really is quite nice and I expect that it'll end up being the better version when I'm able to compare the two. :)

1.050 ---> 1.010 with WY1450 for (an easy to calculate) 80%.
That's 5.3% ABV and probably a bit too high. But thankfully 1450 did its thing and left that great malty mouthfeel so it didn't taste too thin.

Mine went to 1.005 (90% atten) with S04.
S-04 is a little unpredictable for me. I've had it attenuate anywhere from low 70percent to mid-high 80 percent. Seems like if it gets going too fast, it slumps under it's own weight and starts dropping out early and requires rousing multiple times. When I've started it nice and slow in the low 60s it seems to have a more even attenuation curve as I raise the temps up to high 60s over a couple of days. When I want a beer on tap the fastest possible, that's the one I use, though - very fast ferment and drops clear as a bell in no time.

1.050 ---> 1.010 with WY1450 for (an easy to calculate) 80%.
That's 5.3% ABV and probably a bit too high. But thankfully 1450 did its thing and left that great malty mouthfeel so it didn't taste too thin.
My Notty keg will be 5.6% ABV and that's definitely more than I wanted. The 004 keg will be just over 5% and so should be a little more malty and slightly sweeter. I may end up blending the two and I'd come out right where you are with both kegs. :)

Back