Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

So if my mash pH was 4.4, I wonder what my post-boil pH was? I'm not a fan of sour beers, so hopefully not too much. On top of that there will be the strong roastiness to contend with as well. It'll be a bottling day decision whether to bottle or dump. Either way this will be a strong reminder to check unit-of-measure before I brew a new recipe:oops:.

Thanks for that article @Sunfire96. It let me know that, while I may not like the beer, it will still be beer.

So if my mash pH was 4.4, I wonder what my post-boil pH was? I'm not a fan of sour beers, so hopefully not too much. On top of that there will be the strong roastiness to contend with as well. It'll be a bottling day decision whether to bottle or dump. Either way this will be a strong reminder to check unit-of-measure before I brew a new recipe:oops:.

Thanks for that article @Sunfire96. It let me know that, while I may not like the beer, it will still be beer.
I wonder if you could raise the PH with some bicarb? In dark beers I find bicarbonate soda can bring a nice roundness to my beers may be worth a try if you can't stand it.

My batch size is 5.5 Gal while JAs recipe is for 15 gal. I knew there was a Scale feature in Recipe Builder but no idea how to use it. BRILLIANT! Way easier than I expected.
While I was reviewing JA's Irish Red recipe I noticed the Sparge Time was 60 Min?? I've gone as long 30 min hold time on a Sparge, derailed by a small fire, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Just wondering if that was a typo. I was planning on holding 15/20 min before draining in to Kettle anyway.
I'll be rounding up supplies at LHBS tomorrow & try to brew on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

ph lowers a lot after the boil, people get stuck on mash ph too much, ending boil ph is completely deferent
I've started measuring and adjusting post-boil pH. Affects beer positively - a bit more tartness, more apparent attenuation.

What about adding baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) and/or pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) now, during active fermentation. I figure 5-10 grams each would raise the pH a bit. Not to where it should be but, out of the very low category. I figure by adding it now any O2 introduced would be consumed by the yeast.

What about adding baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) and/or pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) now, during active fermentation. I figure 5-10 grams each would raise the pH a bit. Not to where it should be but, out of the very low category. I figure by adding it now any O2 introduced would be consumed by the yeast.
Pretty Much what I was thinking. Might work.

.ca
I hope so.

Since no one was telling me I was just doubling down on stupid, I decided to add 12 g pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) and 6 g baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). Hopefully I wind up with a drinkable beer.
I can't wait to see if this worked :D!

I would have just let it buck and seen what turned out personally. But I understand panic. :)

It was more like I know there is a lower limit to pH and I'm pretty sure I crossed that line. Sunfire's post made be understand that I didn't cross the line but, I was darn close to it. Then it just came down to the fact that I really don't like sour beers. Something like a Flemish Sour is ok once in a while but, I definitely dislike anything as sour as a Gose.

It was more like I know there is a lower limit to pH and I'm pretty sure I crossed that line. Sunfire's post made be understand that I didn't cross the line but, I was darn close to it. Then it just came down to the fact that I really don't like sour beers. Something like a Flemish Sour is ok once in a while but, I definitely dislike anything as sour as a Gose.
I've definitely heard of Flemish Browns, but never heard of a Flemish Black :) you could've created a new style!

Gose should not be very sour, noticeably tart but not puckery.

Gose should not be very sour, noticeably tart but not puckery.
While there was definitely a sour component to the Gose I had, I think a better descriptor for the dominant flavor would be tarty. Thanks for that Steven.

Took a final gravity on the Irish Red 1.008 That Nottingham ripped through.
Smells good and i think looks red enough
20211112_200450.jpg

@J A
Irish Red

I’m not an expert on Irish Reds as I usually find most commercial examples a bit too sweet, but this beer checks all the boxes for what I would want in the style.
Stick your nose in the glass and you’re transported to your favorite pub, Willamette coming across as very English/earthy/floral here.
Taste has a slight roastiness and an obvious candy sweetness that does not linger. There’s a malty presence for sure, but this finishes dry and invites another sip. Sessionable!
I used WY1450 and it cleared up nicely. Absolutely clean, no esters.

Very easy drinking. What more could you want. Thanks J A for an excellent beer that I never would have brewed otherwise. Now it will join regular rotation.

Cheers!

1EE0763D-97D6-43FB-956A-E757F47FC73A.jpeg

96BD761B-1EDD-455D-96F9-F895EB4FF628.jpeg

Back