Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday fellow brewers can you believe it's already the last quarter of the 2021 year WTF:eek: sign of getting old eh or already there:D.

To round out the year I decided to draw the last brewer of the quarter Live on the monthly Zoom meeting.
Sorry to those who didnt make it there was a bit if an IT Fart in the system sorta like a brain fart but a digital one...

Well you Wouldnt believe it JA's name got drawn First!
CONGRATULATIONS JA I look forward to whatever beer you put forward. I'm sure itll be a ripper.

@BarbarianBrewer I'm sure has some photographic evidence to show of the ceremonious formular tin name draw:)
If you kindly link it in the thread please.

We also drew a runner up just in case JA dont want in .

Runner up by default is the motorbike loving man of Maple Leaf Land @Hawkbox dude if JA dont come to the party your it! (Keep the horses in the stables for now)...

Beauty thankyou everyone for participating in this BFC community brew and getting behind it and trying all the great beer recipies that have been put forward.
My aim was to brew different styles of beer that I probably would never brew and also to aim the spotlight at a fellow brewersfriend forum member for the quarter.

Cheers Bring on the Last quarter I'm sure it'll be a Doosey.

This whole “community recipe” project has been so much fun and thanks to @Trialben and all those that make it happen and keep it running. Whoever came up with this brilliant idea deserves a complimentary Brewer’s Friend T- shirt, or some other swag. Powers that be, make it happen.

This whole “community recipe” project has been so much fun and thanks to @Trialben and all those that make it happen and keep it running. Whoever came up with this brilliant idea deserves a complimentary Brewer’s Friend T- shirt, or some other swag. Powers that be, make it happen.
Free Tshirts for all! lol

Greetings Community Brewers!

I'm happy to submit a recipe for your consideration. I'm choosing a style that I'm overdue for brewing and one that should give plenty to compare and discuss when batches are done. It's one that's perfectly suited to the equinoctial seasons for us northern hemisphere brewers as well as our antipodean allies. A fine easy-drinking ale with with a little extra malty tooth to it, as well as a satisfying deep amber color, is a great fall beer as the temps in Texas range "It's damn well still summer" to "I really need my camo hoodie but I left it at the deer lease". For our Aussie and Kiwi friends, It's starting to look like spring and they can think about weening themselves off their winter stouts and slip into something a little lighter and more refreshing without having to crash directly into lawnmower territory.

And so I give you what should be a lovely Irish Red to play around with: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1199563/irish-fling-red-ale

This is about the 3rd iteration of a recipe that I've been coaxing along and this is probably the most simple version. The first was pretty delicious but a little light and probably just slightly too toffee/buttery. The second was darker and skewing a little too close to an ESB. This should be in the Goldilocks zone with some toffee/caramel in the flavor and plenty of color to call it red if you'd like (I prefer ambers on the light side and don't much like the idea of brewing to a specific color profile, anyway). It'll be very interesting to see some differences and because we can compare visually, we'll be able to get some ideas about how specific variables impact color.

I'll make some slight alterations after I run it through my personal recipe calculator to double check things and then run a water chemistry calculator to dial in those additions a little closer.

Let me know what you think! :)

Last edited:
Wont load my end.
Screenshot_20210927-083331_Samsung Internet.jpg

Anyone else having trouble.
Sounds Tasty JA

It'll work now...bad cut and paste when adding link. :)

Y
It'll work now...bad cut and paste when adding link. :)
Yup that's working had a quick look nice combination of malts pretty straightforward that Munich looks like a Munich 2 @ 15 lovibond and carra 1 I thought I might run it with 34/70 what say ye JA?

Oh and roast malt for a touch of roast too I've got some midnight wheat maybe use that?

Reactions: J A
Y

Yup that's working had a quick look nice combination of malts pretty straightforward that Munich looks like a Munich 2 @ 15 lovibond and carra 1 I thought I might run it with 34/70 what say ye JA?
Depending on choices of malts and maltsters, it's pretty straight-up Oktoberfest if you use a lager yeast and noble hops. And that's as it should be. The 2 styles have everything in common. Another one that's another pea in that pod is Belgian Pale, again depending on a few malt choices and yeast variation. :)
I do have a Munich that's on the dark side. Most run in the 10 L range, I think. One could tweak the character malts to make up for lack of color from a lighter Munich, if desired. I wouldn't go darker than 40L on the Cara/Crystal but adding some Victory or Biscuit to the tune of a few percentage points could make up the color difference and add some nice toasty notes that would be very much at home. :)

I’m actually not a fan of most commercial Irish Reds as I usually lump them in with American Oktoberfests and other too-sweet-for-me styles. But this recipe looks awesome and the community hasn’t let me down! I can imagine blowing the foam off a few pints of this for sure. I’m in.

I’m actually not a fan of most commercial Irish Reds as I usually lump them in with American Oktoberfests and other too-sweet-for-me styles. But this recipe looks awesome and the community hasn’t let me down! I can imagine blowing the foam off a few pints of this for sure. I’m in.
Exactly!! I'm having a Leinenkugels Octoberfest right now and it's just plain too sweet. A good Red Ale (or any proper pint IMO) should finish dry and crisp for the most part. The versions of this beer that I've made so far have been with S-04 and it tends to attenuate pretty well and drop very clear. That makes a big difference. I've used a couple of different 2-row malts as well as MO and a local malt for beers like this and there always tends to be plenty of residual malty sweetness from the base so that a large amount of C-malts just isn't necessary.
I'll be interested to see the variations. :)

Oh yeah.

I couldn't have said it better myself: There us no question of IF I'll brew this, just when.
I have about 2 gallons left of an Irish Red I just broke into yesterday for the meeting so it will be later for me because of that

@J A
Question regarding your target SRM:
I’ve seen suggestions for the proper SRM color for an Irish Red anywhere from 9-18. That’s far too big of an error bar for me. The half ass in me says, 9+18=27…27/2=13.5. Boom, there’s my target. But your SRM is 10.3. And, I’m also guessing that all colors aren’t crated equal. Pale + a chunk of crystal might look different than Pale + a smidge of roast, regardless what the SRM calculator says.
So, I guess what I’m asking is, how did you settle on your color? Are there reddish/ruby highlights? I ask because I’m afraid I’m going to make a great tasting orange or brown looking beer. :p Absolutely nothing wrong with that of course. But my batch sizes are 3 gallons into the fermenter and my color might make or break on .5oz of Roasted Barley.

Thanks in advance!

I am definitely interested, but I need to figure out either how to control fermentation temperature, or a Kveik alternative. My brew closet today was at ~74*F, about 10*F above recipe requirements.
In the same vein, I would like to take a shot at the Q3 Piwo, but temperature control.

Back