Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

Kegged today. Finished at 5.25% ABV, so a little on the high side but within my personal margin of error. :p Sample taste had a bit of a floral aroma, some malty, caramel sweetness, and a dry finish. Very tasty. Color looks pretty good but not as clear as I was hoping. Still early though, and I will likely condition this for 2 weeks with the hopes of dropping it clear in the keg before I tap it.

3D77513D-C675-45D9-8478-D9F30DE6D4F0.jpeg

Put a grain order in today should have supply ready to brew this weekend.
Musta opened the recipie and put my phone in my pocket because when I went to edit it today half the grist was missing so this is where I'm at
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1201943/ja-s-q4-recipe
Was some extra dark UK crystal malt so I've added a smidge of that in hope it don't throw it out of wack...:rolleyes:

Oh no it's done it again :oops:. Will have to edit it again tomorrow BF musta reverted back to previous saved copy or something...

Put a grain order in today should have supply ready to brew this weekend.
Musta opened the recipie and put my phone in my pocket because when I went to edit it today half the grist was missing so this is where I'm at
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1201943/ja-s-q4-recipe
Was some extra dark UK crystal malt so I've added a smidge of that in hope it don't throw it out of wack...:rolleyes:
You old geezers should not be trusted with technology. Get a pencil with a good eraser. And a sharpener.

I'll be brewing this next weekend! My future brother in law used to brew once upon a time and I convinced him to join me on a brewday. Asked him what style he wanted to do and gave him a short list of styles I have recipes lined up for and he picked Irish Red! :D says it was the first brew he ever attempted and wants to try it again. We'll be doing 2.5 gal. I need to figure out where the fermenter is going to go...I think I need to kill my current kegs before next weekend to open up the Snail-erator for temp control fermentation. Oh shucks :rolleyes:

I think I need to kill my current kegs before next weekend to open up the Snail-erator for temp control fermentation. Oh shucks :rolleyes:
It is possible to remove the kegs and devote the coldbox to fermentation. The downside is that keg beer is either warm, undrinkable, or both, albeit temporarily.

In this situation I will often bottle in screwtop growlers a few liters of beer to tide me over. Or subsist on commercial beer.

It is possible to remove the kegs and devote the coldbox to fermentation. The downside is that keg beer is either warm, undrinkable, or both, albeit temporarily.

In this situation I will often bottle in screwtop growlers a few liters of beer to tide me over. Or subsist on commercial beer.
I'm quite confident the kegs will be empty by then. If not, I've got bottles on standby

Transfered into fermentor this morning no chill hit 27c overnight not bad.
20211106_105809.jpg

Came in a point under my expected @1.047 I'm hoping this goes red and not brown lol
20211106_114553.jpg

Crap photo but it does have a coppery colour to it fingers crossed running the Nottingham at 19c first crack with this yeast.

I tried brewing the JA's Q4 brew yesterday. And I did brew...something...it just wasn't an Irish Red. I took JA's recipe as-is and did not notice that Acidulated Malt and Roasted Malt were in ounces not pounds! :eek: Yes, I really did add about 10 times the amount I should have!
20_f.png
Since I have never used Acidulated Malt before, I can let myself off the hook for that one. But, I use Roasted Barley all the time so I cannot explain why the alarm bells did not go off there. Maybe I created a new style: Irish Extreme Stout? It's the Acidulated Malt that is concerning me. After updating my recipe to match what I really added, the calculated pH is only 4.4. What effect will this have on fermentation and the final beer?

Brewing the Irish on Monday - tomorrow's brew is a rehash of my very first all grain brew - just to see if it will be better this time round... Firstbashmash....
Looking forward to the Irish.
The Great Lubelski turned out fab even though I don't normally drink wheat beer I really like this beer - not too smoky.
I've just noticed... The character in my label looks somewhat like Stephen Stanley too. This is spooky and totally unintentional.
upload_2021-11-7_20-7-52.png
upload_2021-11-7_20-8-9.png

Brewing the Irish on Monday - tomorrow's brew is a rehash of my very first all grain brew - just to see if it will be better this time round... Firstbashmash....
Looking forward to the Irish.
The Great Lubelski turned out fab even though I don't normally drink wheat beer I really like this beer - not too smoky.
I've just noticed... The character in my label looks somewhat like Stephen Stanley too. This is spooky and totally unintentional.
View attachment 18112View attachment 18113
Hahahahaha

Back