Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

Oh dam covid still hasnt freed things up in SA Zambia man I hope you dont gotta wait too much longer for your brew gear!
My gear is in a container, not too far from here. Problem is all the other stuff in the container, like beds, tables, kitchen counters etc, meaning I need to hire a truck to move all of that shit to my new place.
I should really do it soon, as we are getting close to the rainy season, when my access road becomes a hassle
On the other hand: my house is not very waterproof (yet)....
Ah well, one day :rolleyes:

I tried t find the Sekado - Czech Munich for the 4th recipe and accidentally ordered Sekado - Czech Pilsner malt. Is this the same?

I tried t find the Sekado - Czech Munich for the 4th recipe and accidentally ordered Sekado - Czech Pilsner malt. Is this the same?
I approximated. I had Gambrinus Dark Munich (10L) so I went with that. When I get to beer heaven I will answer for it - as best I can - chances are, I'll be drunk.

Pilsner and munich generally aren't the same, but odds are you'll be fine if not exactly right.

I'm going to modify mine to match what I can get from local suppliers.

Yup kilning process is different for Munich malt and longer hotter is my understanding.

Ill have to see what I can get that is closer. Northern brewer is my local go to , i' ll have to stop by and see if they can come up with an idea of something similar.

Looking at NB s web site there are a lot of Munich varieties to pick from. One of them looks like it would be seriously red!

Not even close. Brand is not the determining factor. Get any Munich and adjust the Cara malts to attain the color you want.
Sekado just happens to be the brand I have but it's not critical to the recipe.

Here's what I've come up with for 2.5 gallons. I chose Nottingham yeast because I've never tried it and wanted to give it a shot. I've used S04 plenty of times before, so that'll be my backup choice. This will probably be my on deck-on deck beer; I've got a brown next and then a pale and then this one.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1199877/irish-fling-red-ale

The person after the on-deck hitter is technically known as "in the hole". I watch far too much baseball. :oops:
Please don't hate me. :D

This will be my next beer for sure, though I am probably two weeks from getting to it. Going with WY1450 since I've had great success with it in the past. It attenuates well for me and definitely leaves a smooth mouthfeel that I don't get from other yeasts. Clean, malt forward. My only concern is how clear it will get as I think clarity might be one key to the "redness".

JA's Irish Red Ale | Irish Red Ale BIAB Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)

All these versions look great. When I get a chance I'll double check my water profile compared to prior batches and see if any tweaks are needed in the chemistry additions. :)

34/70? You making a red lager Ben?
Pretty much :D
Now keep in mind my lagering ferm temps are at ale temps so bit of a mix.

I think of it like this a clean larger yeast able to ferment at ale yeast and produce a clean crisp beer that let's the malt shine sorta what I'm imagining JA invisioned the beer to be...

Please correct me if I'm wrong I'm always willing to learn

Pretty much :D
Now keep in mind my lagering ferm temps are at ale temps so bit of a mix.
Are you using pressure fermentation? Sounds delicious, I love an amber lager

I am definitely interested, but I need to figure out either how to control fermentation temperature, or a Kveik alternative. My brew closet today was at ~74*F, about 10*F above recipe requirements.
In the same vein, I would like to take a shot at the Q3 Piwo, but temperature control.
Don't forget that the recipe is only a guideline in terms of system, temperature, etc and therefore yeast choice is something that individual brewers can use to even out the variables.
If I had a 74 degree brewing environment, I'd be thrilled! :) Use a simple swamp-cooler set up to easily keep the wort within a 68 degree range for a great fermentation with Nottingham, for instance. :)

Back