Q4 Brewersfriend Community Recipie 2021.

I am definitely interested, but I need to figure out either how to control fermentation temperature, or a Kveik alternative. My brew closet today was at ~74*F, about 10*F above recipe requirements.
In the same vein, I would like to take a shot at the Q3 Piwo, but temperature control.
Do you have a bucket or cooler that your fermenter fits in? And a bunch of ice packs/frozen water bottles. Swap them out morning and night as needed. That's how I fermented some lagers when living in CA

@J A
Question regarding your target SRM:
I’ve seen suggestions for the proper SRM color for an Irish Red anywhere from 9-18. That’s far too big of an error bar for me. The half ass in me says, 9+18=27…27/2=13.5. Boom, there’s my target. But your SRM is 10.3. And, I’m also guessing that all colors aren’t crated equal. Pale + a chunk of crystal might look different than Pale + a smidge of roast, regardless what the SRM calculator says.
So, I guess what I’m asking is, how did you settle on your color? Are there reddish/ruby highlights? I ask because I’m afraid I’m going to make a great tasting orange or brown looking beer. :p Absolutely nothing wrong with that of course. But my batch sizes are 3 gallons into the fermenter and my color might make or break on .5oz of Roasted Barley.

Thanks in advance!
Getting a pleasing color is tricky. The combination of Munich (10-15L) and Caramunich (~40L) along with just a little Roasted Barley will usually do the trick in my experience. I always shoot for a lower color in the BF calculator because I think it tends to go a little darker than predicted. I like lighter beers, too so a nice deep amber with some copper in it is a perfect "red" to me but it is nice to get that rich, deep copper, ruby highlight thing.
I say push the color a little deeper if you like but use more cara than roasted to do it. More than about 1 percent roast will start to muddy things up, I think. Red X is definitely red in the final beer and CaraRed is a nice addition as well, being a Munich-type with a lower Lovibond than CaraMunich I. As long as there's nothing darker than around 40L in your color malts, it should be nice and bright and tawny/copper/ruby rather than rusty-brown.

I am definitely interested, but I need to figure out either how to control fermentation temperature, or a Kveik alternative. My brew closet today was at ~74*F, about 10*F above recipe requirements.
In the same vein, I would like to take a shot at the Q3 Piwo, but temperature control.
Recipe should be a guideline in terms of fermentation temp. Your yeast choice will determine what you need for temp. Something as simple as a tub and tee-shirt swamp cooler may be all you need to keep things in a reasonable range. If you can pitch relatively low and use a that sort of set up, it may be all you need. S-04 can get very fruity in the low 70s but something like S-33 may work well if pitched low and allowed to free-rise slowly. This would be an absolutely perfect test recipe for the Kveik Lutra dry yeast!! I may think about a split to see how that stuff works. :)

Recipe should be a guideline in terms of fermentation temp. Your yeast choice will determine what you need for temp. Something as simple as a tub and tee-shirt swamp cooler may be all you need to keep things in a reasonable range. If you can pitch relatively low and use a that sort of set up, it may be all you need. S-04 can get very fruity in the low 70s but something like S-33 may work well if pitched low and allowed to free-rise slowly. This would be an absolutely perfect test recipe for the Kveik Lutra dry yeast!! I may think about a split to see how that stuff works. :)
I’ve also had great success with BRY-97 in the low 70’s. And the profile of that yeast might be a perfect match for an Irish Red…neutral, high-floc, good attenuation. I’m still kicking that part around as I’m rather on the fence with S-04.

My other Irish recipe uses Nottingham. But ideal temps would be pretty much the same as 04. One benefit with 04 is that once it starts it'll be done in 3 days. Cool it to 65 (F) and keep it there 4 days with a tub and t-shirt ... and Bob's your uncle.

Personally, I don't think any American West Coast strains have a place in traditional British, Irish, or Continental styles of any sort. Maybe, just maybe a San Fran Lager strain.
Regarding color, here's a beer that FB and my personal calculator predicts to be 6-point-something...I see it as darker than that by quite a bit- easily in the range of 8 or so. This beer utilized Munich, CaraMunich and Victory and got a nice coppery amber color. If I use similar color malts in higher percentages and throw in the Roasted, I expect that instead of my 10-ish SRM, I'll be seeing 12 or so which I personally think is a great range for a Red Ale, If you can push right up to that 18 and keep it claret-hued rather than muddy-brown, you definitely win beer color!!! :)

Attachments

• 20210927_190917 (1).jpg
    20210927_190917 (1).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I'm feeling its gonna be 34/70 @whatever temp my ambient can get it down to and ferment under pressure maybe 10-15psi range.
Gunna stick as close to JAs recipe honestly I've never brewed a red Anything:oops:lol!

When I saw Irish Red I thought you beauty finally get to have a crack at a red beer.
After all I am a Rangerr youd a thought i woulda brewed red beer by now...:)

I'm feeling its gonna be 34/70 @whatever temp my ambient can get it down to and ferment under pressure maybe 10-15psi range.
Gunna stick as close to JAs recipe honestly I've never brewed a red Anything:oops:lol!

When I saw Irish Red I thought you beauty finally get to have a crack at a red beer.
After all I am a Rangerr youd a thought i woulda brewed red beer by now...:)
If you want to push the red, I'd add 2-3% of CaraRed, Victory, Biscuit, Crystal 30 if you can find it. Or look for some Fawcett English Medium Crystal to add to and/or sub out the CaraMunich. Either strategy should up the red factor for you.
The 34/70 will give you some sulfur which you'll need to lager out but if you can get a good mash and good attenuation to dry out that extra crystal, you'll have a very fine beer on your hands!! :) It's making me want to dump some lager yeast in and let it rip. :)

and BTW...checking back on the slightly too dark variation of this recipe, it was predicted at a 13.21 and it definitely seemed sort of brownish copper. Very nice beer but just a pinch too much roast in the mix. The current version should give a really nice color but I'm a little tempted to tweak it for just a couple percent of something in the 30L range. May depend on what I've got on hand and what needs a trip to the LHBS. :D :D

and BTW...checking back on the slightly too dark variation of this recipe, it was predicted at a 13.21 and it definitely seemed sort of brownish copper. Very nice beer but just a pinch too much roast in the mix. The current version should give a really nice color but I'm a little tempted to tweak it for just a couple percent of something in the 30L range. May depend on what I've got on hand and what needs a trip to the LHBS. :D :D
Cheers so keep under 13 SRM I'll be putting in an order for some Caraminich 1. ive got Munich light on hand but might get some Munich 2 maybe I'll order some caraRed malt also I've been wondering since its UK origin style beer maybe some WLP 007 dry English ale?

Reactions: J A
Cheers so keep under 13 SRM I'll be putting in an order for some Caraminich 1. ive got Munich light on hand but might get some Munich 2 maybe I'll order some caraRed malt also I've been wondering since its UK origin style beer maybe some WLP 007 dry English ale?
If you've got a lighter Munich, I'd just use it and bump the C-malts to get to your color. In my experience, the advantage of CaraMunich over C-40 is that it doesn't impart the sort of candy sweetness and has a more malty-toasty flavor contribution. I think any English yeast would do. I actually haven't used the Irish Ale yeast and I reckon I'll split out 2 5-ers and use that and Nottingham or S-04 to compare.

Great JA. I have converted it for UK ingredients... I have 43 Hops here not one of them Willamette - so I used EKG instead.
Looking forward to it... Will make it after the Piwo Grod this week. I am going to be busy... Piwo, American PA, Wishbone Mash (the band are coming her in November and I owe them a brew!) and an Amber Ale in the queue.
Loving Irish Red.

I weighed out the grains for this today. Will grind and brew sometime after the 10th of Oct. Work gets in the way until then. Had everything in inventory !

Great JA. I have converted it for UK ingredients... I have 43 Hops here not one of them Willamette - so I used EKG instead.
Looking forward to it... Will make it after the Piwo Grod this week. I am going to be busy... Piwo, American PA, Wishbone Mash (the band are coming her in November and I owe them a brew!) and an Amber Ale in the queue.
Loving Irish Red.
EKG is perfect...I just keep Willamette around by the pound because I use it for all non-noble hopped malt-forward beers.

I weighed out the grains for this today. Will grind and brew sometime after the 10th of Oct. Work gets in the way until then. Had everything in inventory !
I'm trying to sneak in a brew this week but I may not make it before we have to leave for a few days in New York. It will probably be sometime next week before I can get this one in the fermenters.

I'm thinking of doing this with Irish stout malt (I have it on hand), Irish ale yeast and more traditional hops. I know JA makes a good drop so I'll go with his recipe for the rest.

I so much want to play as well!
I really like a red ale.
Instead, I'll keep playing with my cider ....
Oh dam covid still hasnt freed things up in SA Zambia man I hope you dont gotta wait too much longer for your brew gear!

Back