Q3 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

I followed @Nosybear as best as I could.
Ca - 89
Mg - 24
Na - 36
Cl - 74
SO4 - 164
pH - 5.49

To get there I needed some Gypsum, Epsom Salt, NaCl and Lactic.
8g of Epsom I poked in it took a bit of dissolving I usually pop it in a jar and shake crap out of the salts to desolve.
Temps are tight with new PID so happy with how it's performing !
20210726_102414.jpg

Smaked it out hot into kegmentor onto 78g of Sazz to No chill overnight.
Of = 1.036 up a bit got some great efficiency musta been all them mash steps lol
View attachment 16795
Sooo light in colour it's a strange flavour too me has me intreeged.
So with no chill it obviously affects hop rates. So you just put them in at flameout since they’d basically “whirlpool” overnight? Sounds very neat.

Smaked it out hot into kegmentor onto 78g of Sazz to No chill overnight.
Of = 1.036 up a bit got some great efficiency musta been all them mash steps lol
View attachment 16795
Sooo light in colour it's a strange flavour too me has me intreeged.
Ben how do you transfer to the kegmenter? Do you avoid splashing to avoid hot-side aeration or has that not been an issue?

Transfer hose to the bottom. @Josh Hughes I've been adding 20mins No chill into the calculator it's in the More section below the BU GU ratio area in the tick box for style type drop down .

Honesty there isn't a whole lot of IBU pickup from the WP or HOP stand additions so far I've found I could actually pile on a few more IBUs which has me scratching my head.
I still use a good bittering addition.

I got hit hard with Sulfur in an American Wheat one time. Took forever to drop to an acceptable level. I wouldn’t worry about it though. By most brewers, K97 is a great yeast, though it may be a while before I run with it again.
I rather like it. Brewed mine this weekend, everything went great until whirlpool. I used whole hops and they clogged up everything. I ended up dumping the whole mess into the fermentor hot and letting it cool overnight.

I rather like it. Brewed mine this weekend, everything went great until whirlpool. I used whole hops and they clogged up everything. I ended up dumping the whole mess into the fermentor hot and letting it cool overnight.
Was wondering how you got on. Yup I made that same mistake myself with homegrown hops. My trick now is blitz them in a blender and add then they flow through the pump

Oh man just glorious mate bloody glorious best time of year for sure! Knowing you Canadians you'd probably be swimming in the pool too:eek::D!
Of course!!! Now if only I had a poolo_O

Grodziskie is nearly ready to package. Just took a sample, 1.011 on its way to 1.007. It tastes like a smoky Kölsch. K-97 performed well, none of the problems others have reported. I'm on vacation for two weeks, packaging when I get back.

@Nosybear Do you think 2 weeks in the fermenter will be a problem? I too have to travel, so as soon as I raise the temperature for the diacetyl rest (5 days) it'll have to sit for a while.

I'm thinking it won't be a problem, but I've never brought this before, and you have.

@Nosybear Do you think 2 weeks in the fermenter will be a problem? I too have to travel, so as soon as I raise the temperature for the diacetyl rest (5 days) it'll have to sit for a while.

I'm thinking it won't be a problem, but I've never brought this before, and you have.
I don’t have to travel and I still plan on leaving this beer in primary for 2 weeks. Obvious fermentation is over, the cake is starting to pile up on the bottom, but I like to give the yeast plenty of time.

Grodziskie is nearly ready to package. Just took a sample, 1.011 on its way to 1.007. It tastes like a smoky Kölsch. K-97 performed well, none of the problems others have reported. I'm on vacation for two weeks, packaging when I get back.
Doing the same thing today I'm at 1.010
It's under a bit of pressure maybe I'll back some off and let it finish it is at 23c though.
Nice and clean and err Smokey
20210731_121538.jpg

The sample jar is holding a nice fluffy head too it's partly carbonated at this stage

Shouldn't be. I'll lower the temperature a bit before we leave. It'll be ready to package when we're back.

I brewed the Grodski on Tuesday. Another list of new things on this brew. 1st with Smoked Grain, 1st Wheat beer, 2nd time with dry yeast, 1st with 5 Steps in the Mash.
  • Oak Smoked Wheat was mixed with 1 lb Rice Hulls for flow & to prevent a stuck Mash. It is really hard to clean it out of the Mash Tun.
  • I have only used liquid Yeast & a 2 liter Starter. I added the yeast @ 55 F with no action for 36 hrs. Raised temp to 62 F & boom we Rollin now.
  • I have been circulating when doing 2 & 3 step infusions. Flow, Stop, Hold. Often over shooting. The Grodski could be made with only 1 step but I wanted to try to make all 5 steps. With the lb of Rice Hulls in the Tun it seemed like flow would not be a problem.
  • The trick is to be patient when raising the temp. Before, I had turned gas up to high & momentum would send me flying off the mark. Starting at 100 F, burner at 1 click above lighting level, while circulating from bottom to top of the Mash Tun. Hulls also helped keep the fluid moving smoothly.
  • Once the step temp was reached, stop the pump. It takes about 15 min to raise between steps & then hold it for 20 to 45 min. I noticed the Grain temp will serge about 10 deg F & then settle when the pump stops.
  • That & a 90 min Boil makes for a long day.
I was able to balance the temp & flow, much to my own surprise, to complete the 5 step Mash without resorting to Decoction. Another observation, this does seem to use more gas than I have before, but it was a long Boil & there were a lot of steps. I will also increase my normal 1/2 lb of Rice Hulls in EVERY recipe to a lb.
So, about this time the Electric Brewers are noding their heads & saying "just switch to an electric system with a sophisticated control system?"
Probably good advice. I think if I expect to make brews with 3+ infusion steps regularly, I would have to.
@Nosybear thanks for the new experiences & hopefully knowledge gained.

So, after I filled the Fermenter, I had 1-1/2 gallons left over. It's in a clean carboy with an aircheck, no yeast, no activity. I figure to drop a different yeast & see how it rolls. Any suggestions? Took off when I warmed the K97 to 62 F.
Open to Dry Yeast, just no experience. Thoughts?

Keeping with the German wheat theme you could try Fermentis WB06. I've just used it the once but it's enjoyable so far.

Back