Q3 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

Any point in grain substitutions? A while ago I tried to do this with a lot of wheat and a bit of smoked barley as getting smoked wheat here in Melbourne is a challenge. It ended up a bit bland, probably due to not enough smoked barley.

The closest smoked wheat I can find is nearly half a continent away. Still it's already been shipped from Germany, what difference does another 1000km make?

PS, Ben if you're interested - https://lazydayzbrewingsupplies.com.au/product/oak-smoked-wheat-malt/
You'd best hurry, they say there's only 12.9 kg left. You and Ben need about half of that, so one or two other brewers can stock them out! Maybe not so many Polish brewers down under though...

Try to get the right malt if you can.

:eek: let em know it's all in the name of Historical Beer! YOUR doing your part for history:cool:.

The more I think about this beer the more I start to think it as a quite delicate beer style no?
So light so low in ABV and packed full of wheat and smoked at that lady's and Gents I think @Nosybear has laid down quite a difficult beer for us to master:rolleyes:
Done right it's quite flavorful.

It feels wrong to use that much epsom salt but I'm trusting in Nosy. I've never used rice hulls as I mash in a bag but it's a good opportunity to try it out. Will figure out what my smoked wheat options are before I change anything to much.

You'd best hurry, they say there's only 12.9 kg left. You and Ben need about half of that, so one or two other brewers can stock them out! Maybe not so many Polish brewers down under though...

Try to get the right malt if you can.
Well I didn't see that yup I'll order mine today then !

@Nosybear My in stock base malt is very similar to Maris Otter, can I just use that in place of the German Pale malt?
My LHBS has the smoked wheat in stock so I am good there.

@Nosybear My in stock base malt is very similar to Maris Otter, can I just use that in place of the German Pale malt?
My LHBS has the smoked wheat in stock so I am good there.
I added the pale ale to increase malt flavor just a bit. Maris Otter should work fine or you could leave the pale ale malt out.

And just run it with straight smoked wheat?
I see part smoked and part malted wheat too.
It can be 100% smoked wheat malt. There's no raw wheat in this. No malted barley is necessary.

Oaked smoked malt and a big bag of husks rocked up today.
I've never smelt malt like this before smells like something you add to your BBQ.
20210705_145220.jpg

Last edited:
Hoping to acquire the necessary ingredients and brew this sometime next week.

One question @Nosybear :
Keg or bottle?

My concern with kegging is smoke fatigue. I'm only kegging 2.5gal, but I'll likely be the only one drinking this. From what I gather, this seems like a nice summer beer, so I'm not too concerned. But I would like your take on whether or not this style lends itself to repeated pints or does the smokiness make it just a "now and then" type beer?

My concern with bottling is that I can't get to 3.5 vols. My bottles are nothing special and I don't want to tempt fate, not to mention how imprecise that method of priming is to begin with. So if I do bottle, I'll probably have to shoot for a more generic 2-2.5 vol....just to be safe.

Thanks.

@Megary I'm interested in @Nosybear 's response, but you can keg, carbonate and then bottle off the tap. Or do you think the bottles can't withstand 20 psi?

@Megary I'm interested in @Nosybear 's response, but you can keg, carbonate and then bottle off the tap. Or do you think the bottles can't withstand 20 psi?
Not sure what they can handle, but they are plain ol' LHBS beer bottles, so I would imagine they are on the lower end for bottle strength. Regardless, I won't be bottling from the keg because while that may be second nature for some, I can see it being a nightmare for me. If I do bottle, it will be at packaging time. Maybe I will bottle some and keg the rest. Not sure though. Thankfully I have a few weeks before I have to make that call.

Hoping to acquire the necessary ingredients and brew this sometime next week.

One question @Nosybear :
Keg or bottle?

My concern with kegging is smoke fatigue. I'm only kegging 2.5gal, but I'll likely be the only one drinking this. From what I gather, this seems like a nice summer beer, so I'm not too concerned. But I would like your take on whether or not this style lends itself to repeated pints or does the smokiness make it just a "now and then" type beer?

My concern with bottling is that I can't get to 3.5 vols. My bottles are nothing special and I don't want to tempt fate, not to mention how imprecise that method of priming is to begin with. So if I do bottle, I'll probably have to shoot for a more generic 2-2.5 vol....just to be safe.

Thanks.
Bottle. You want higher carbonation, around 3.5 vols, and I don't want to keep my gas set that high.

Bottle. You want higher carbonation, around 3.5 vols, and I don't want to keep my gas set that high.
Well, ok. Unfortunately I’m not sitting on a case of empty Belgian beer bottles so if 3.5 vols is a must, then I’ll have to keg. My bottles may very well hold 3.5, but not on my watch. :)

How about PET homebrew bottles? I've got one batch at about that pressure at the moment, but it's only two weeks in. I think the pressure it needs to support for the soda/soft drinks is 40 or so PSI, so I'm pretty sure it's well within it's capabilities.

Or maybe that's why it's conditioning on top of the speakers in the home office at the moment? If it fails I get to replace those rubbish speakers with some good ones. Though I don't think my subconscious is that clever.

No matter how I work it, either my mash pH is too high, or the HCO3- is too low.
I'm defaulting to a decent calculated mash pH (5.5) and essentially ignoring the HCO3- level, which is down at 12 (target = 80).
@Nosybear Thoughts?

Also, does it matter whether I use acidulated malt or 88% lactic acid? I feel the end result is essentially the same.

Back