Q3 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

No matter how I work it, either my mash pH is too high, or the HCO3- is too low.
I'm defaulting to a decent calculated mash pH (5.5) and essentially ignoring the HCO3- level, which is down at 12 (target = 80).
@Nosybear Thoughts?

Also, does it matter whether I use acidulated malt or 88% lactic acid? I feel the end result is essentially the same.
HCO3 is never a target (at least for me). I would just make sure your mash pH is in line and let the Bicarbonate chips fall where they may.

No matter how I work it, either my mash pH is too high, or the HCO3- is too low.
I'm defaulting to a decent calculated mash pH (5.5) and essentially ignoring the HCO3- level, which is down at 12 (target = 80).
@Nosybear Thoughts?

Also, does it matter whether I use acidulated malt or 88% lactic acid? I feel the end result is essentially the same.
Don't worry about the HCO3. It doesn't matter to the beer's flavor. Whether you use lactic or acidulated malt, just concentrate on the mash pH.

Ok, got it. As I thought.

The planned brew session for tomorrow must be postponed, even though the LBHS said on the phone that they have smoked wheat malt, it turns out they don't. So an online order needs to arrive before I can proceed.

First world problems...

Grains are crushed (never used so little in a beer before!) and the Epsom salt was found. Had to make sure I didn’t grab the bag with the added lavender scent. :eek:

The grains smell great, like a campfire. And that just might be the best place to enjoy this beer when all is said and done.

Getting on it first thing tomorrow morning.

Grains are crushed (never used so little in a beer before!) and the Epsom salt was found. Had to make sure I didn’t grab the bag with the added lavender scent. :eek:

The grains smell great, like a campfire. And that just might be the best place to enjoy this beer when all is said and done.

I use the lavender Epsom salts to soak my back :D

Well brewing this tomorrow as well I think you'll beat me too it. I've never added Epsom salts to a brew before either should be an interesting brew session;)

Brewing mine tomorrow as well, a three gallon batch. The low rest is for glucans, if you don't mind haze it isn't necessary.

Now that the BrewZilla is all dialed in, step mashes are easy. Just program it and walk away for a few hours.
For anyone brewing in a cooler, decoctions sound real scary but are in fact very easy, once you have your utensils sorted out. Just pull some of the mash + liquid, boil it for a little while, then dump it back in, bringing you to the next temperature step.

MoreBeer! says the smoked wheat should be here on Thursday. LHBS said they could get it by Friday, but they admitted they need to order at least 10 lbs, and probably wouldn't sell the other ~5 pounds any time soon. I said that for $10, let's let someone else carry that inventory, I'll get it online. Bought everything else I needed from them regardless.

Brewing mine tomorrow as well, a three gallon batch. The low rest is for glucans, if you don't mind haze it isn't necessary.
Hmmm ok cheers I'll make the call tomorrow I've got the littlie so depends on whether she's on my heals or not.

Mash under way. Considering the small amount of grain, “mash-in” was a breeze, very easy to handle. Nice pale color. Smoky, but not intense. This is more of a campfire/woodsy/bacon on the grill kind of smoke. No resemblance to cigarettes or ash. My mind jumps to this being a beer for Autumn, crisp fall days, leaves changing colors. Tailgating. That kind of thing. My intention was to keg this, but since I’m 2-3 months away from good fall weather, I need to think on that for a bit.

Mash under way.

03C99959-3CE2-4A68-9676-7FDAB22883DE.jpeg

Nice and easy brew day. A sample after the boil gave me a nice and not overpowering smoky aroma and flavor (considering where it was during the mash), and a very clean finish. The unfermented sugars are getting in the way right now, but if the yeast and I are on the same page and this finishes up as it should, this is going to be excellent. Maybe this is a summer beer after all.

For reference, I went with 89% smoked wheat and 11% 10L wheat. Also used WLP029, as I have had disagreements with K97 in the past. 150F for 60 minutes.

62606DA3-DD5C-461E-B9A2-34631A490D43.jpeg

Nice and easy brew day. A sample after the boil gave me a nice and not overpowering smoky aroma and flavor (considering where it was during the mash), and a very clean finish. The unfermented sugars are getting in the way right now, but if the yeast and I are on the same page and this finishes up as it should, this is going to be excellent. Maybe this is a summer beer after all.

For reference, I went with 89% smoked wheat and 11% 10L wheat. Also used WLP029, as I have had disagreements with K97 in the past. 150F for 60 minutes.

View attachment 16781
Something to look forward to.
How'd you go on water treatment does it up on Epsom salts?

Something to look forward to.
How'd you go on water treatment does it up on Epsom salts?
I followed @Nosybear as best as I could.
Ca - 89
Mg - 24
Na - 36
Cl - 74
SO4 - 164
pH - 5.49

To get there I needed some Gypsum, Epsom Salt, NaCl and Lactic.

Care to elaborate? I bought K97 but can easily afford to get something else.
I got hit hard with Sulfur in an American Wheat one time. Took forever to drop to an acceptable level. I wouldn’t worry about it though. By most brewers, K97 is a great yeast, though it may be a while before I run with it again.

Back