Q3 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

I also have a couple of questions.
I can't do a stepped mash so I will do as you suggest and stick it at 65.5C for the hour.
1). As for the Hops section the recipe has a "boil" at 93C - is this intended and if so why? I boil at 100C but I can set the kettle to 98C ( yes I know it's an odd value but that is the variable controller max setting - I usually over ride it to get the full boil).

2). I have Oat husks. Will they do instead or is there a specific reason for the Rice hulls? - I can't imagine one other than a greater supply of rice hulls about.
upload_2021-6-27_16-21-2.png

Forgot to correct that, I live at 6,000 feet elevation so please ignore my boil temperature.

2). I have Oat husks. Will they do instead or is there a specific reason for the Rice hulls? - I can't imagine one other than a greater supply of rice hulls about.

The BYO article stated that the Polish brewers use oat hulls because they are what is readily available to them. They also said that the only advantage of rice hulls over oat hulls would be clarity.

Last edited:
Not sure when I will get to brewing this, I actually haven't brewed for about a month because of an issue with my back. My sacroiliac joint is making much of life miserable right now:(

It's supposed to hit nearly 40C here this week so I probably won't be brewing for a week or two at least.

Heal up Craig, that sounds like hell.

The BYO article stated that the Polish brewers use oat hulls because they are what is readily available to them. They also said that the only advantage of rice hulls would be clarity.

I just bought the Rice Hulls plus the rest of the ingredients so all set for a new brew.
upload_2021-6-28_19-37-18.png

Not sure when I will get to brewing this, I actually haven't brewed for about a month because of an issue with my back. My sacroiliac joint is making much of life miserable right now:(
That sux Craig at least it don't stop you enjoying a few.

The BYO article stated that the Polish brewers use oat hulls because they are what is readily available to them. They also said that the only advantage of rice hulls would be clarity.
Other advantage, avoiding a stuck mash. The wheat mash can set up like concrete without the julls to keep it loose. Don't see why oat hulls wouldn't work.

Sorry to hear about your back problems Craig. Is it related to helping your daughter move a couple weeks back or something chronic? Hopefully it doesn't keep you from enjoying your camping trip.

Any point in grain substitutions? A while ago I tried to do this with a lot of wheat and a bit of smoked barley as getting smoked wheat here in Melbourne is a challenge. It ended up a bit bland, probably due to not enough smoked barley.

The closest smoked wheat I can find is nearly half a continent away. Still it's already been shipped from Germany, what difference does another 1000km make?

PS, Ben if you're interested - https://lazydayzbrewingsupplies.com.au/product/oak-smoked-wheat-malt/

Sorry to hear about your back problems Craig. Is it related to helping your daughter move a couple weeks back or something chronic? Hopefully it doesn't keep you from enjoying your camping trip.
It has been a problem for about 6-8 weeks now, doing some physio

Any point in grain substitutions? A while ago I tried to do this with a lot of wheat and a bit of smoked barley as getting smoked wheat here in Melbourne is a challenge. It ended up a bit bland, probably due to not enough smoked barley.

The closest smoked wheat I can find is nearly half a continent away. Still it's already been shipped from Germany, what difference does another 1000km make?

PS, Ben if you're interested - https://lazydayzbrewingsupplies.com.au/product/oak-smoked-wheat-malt/
Yeah thats where I've found it available.
Either that or as in the byo article Barbarian brewer linked smoke your own wheat malt with some French oak chips...

What about Lubelski hops any hits on them.
I'm a big Fan of Sazz but.

What about Lubelski hops any hits on them.
I'm a big Fan of Sazz but.
Haven't even looked, I've always got a bunch of Saaz on hand, so was going to use that.

The smoker is sitting in a corner, very neglected. It doesn't go well in the inner city. Last time I got it going I had three neighbours worried that something was on fire. The neighbours at this place don't talk, so I'd be expecting the fire trucks to just roll up once the smoker got going.

Haven't even looked, I've always got a bunch of Saaz on hand, so was going to use that.

The smoker is sitting in a corner, very neglected. It doesn't go well in the inner city. Last time I got it going I had three neighbours worried that something was on fire. The neighbours at this place don't talk, so I'd be expecting the fire trucks to just roll up once the smoker got going.
:eek: let em know it's all in the name of Historical Beer! YOUR doing your part for history:cool:.

The more I think about this beer the more I start to think it as a quite delicate beer style no?
So light so low in ABV and packed full of wheat and smoked at that lady's and Gents I think @Nosybear has laid down quite a difficult beer for us to master:rolleyes:

Back