Q3 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

FYI, when Napoleon invaded Poland, his men called Grodziskie the Champagne of the North.
I've heard that Napoleon gave Berliner Weisse that name. So Grodziskie is the people's beer of the era and Berliner Weisse the ruler's beer?

I've heard that Napoleon gave Berliner Weisse that name. So Grodziskie is the people's beer of the era and Berliner Weisse the ruler's beer?
I've also heard Berliner Weisse is the "champagne of the north"

Just like Miller is the champagne of bottled beer...

Kegged the Piwo Grodziskie today, FG was 1.002 from an OG of 1.033. The gravity sample had some banana esters and not a lot of smoke. It'll be carbed tomorrow.

Good thing I routinely use a blowoff tube and not an airlock: Even with just 4 gallons in my 7-gallon fermenter, the high krausen blew way out and left a decent amount of yeast in the sanitizer flask. Indeed, the cold crash seems to have drawn about 200 ml of starsan back into the fermenter. The flask pictured had about 350 ml starsan in it, covering about 1/4" of the blowoff tube end.

36EC2BBA-1ACB-46B4-A8E4-97F7A879A1F7.jpeg

Just like Miller is the champagne of bottled beer...

Kegged the Piwo Grodziskie today, FG was 1.002 from an OG of 1.033. The gravity sample had some banana esters and not a lot of smoke. It'll be carbed tomorrow.

Good thing I routinely use a blowoff tube and not an airlock: Even with just 4 gallons in my 7-gallon fermenter, the high krausen blew way out and left a decent amount of yeast in the sanitizer flask. Indeed, the cold crash seems to have drawn about 200 ml of starsan back into the fermenter. The flask pictured had about 350 ml starsan in it, covering about 1/4" of the blowoff tube end.

View attachment 17124
1.002 by golly that sure fermented out mind stopped at 1.010 starting gravity was 1.036.

The tilt said it went to 0.995 and I feared an infection. But my hydrometer got it right and the sample tasted ok.

I plan on brewing the Piwo Grodziskie on Friday. However, heat + humidity + chance of thunderstorms may change my mind for me.
My plan is to do the step mash using infusions. (I mash in a picnic cooler/esky). But I'll combine the first two steps with a target temp of 113° F (45° C) which is on the line between the Beta Glucanase/Debranching phase and the Proteolytic phase.
upload_2021-8-25_12-35-19.png

@BarbarianBrewer I wonder if you can go a little warmer (say 115) and let it cool down into the B-Glucanase region. Not sure if the order can be switched without sacrificing performance.

I mean, in any case it will come out fine, even a single-step mash is 90% there, but maybe 2 birds/1 stone by letting it cool a bit? 20-30 minutes each.

My FG came out as 1.003 with the hydrometer from 1.033, so about 4% ABV. The K97 was a beast, albeit slow, overflowing the blowoff tube at the top of a 7-gallon fermenter, with only 4 gallons in it. The beer, now carbonated and on tap, has some bready/yeasty notes with some banana, a lot like a hefeweitzen, but with a slight smoky character and a resultant dryness, almost a tartness but not very prominent, quite well balanced. Can't wait to share a pint or three this coming Saturday at 4 pm NY Time.

Just started the boil and tossed in the 60 minute hops.....then remembered it is supposed to be a 90 minute boil! So, do I cut the boil at 60 minutes or let the hops ride for the full 90 minutes? Or split the difference and boil for 75 minutes?

If I brew this one again I think I'll add 0.0 grams of hops at 90 minutes just to remind myself there are no 90 minute hops.

I wound up doing the 90 minute boil and pretty much hit all my numbers. Day started out with a challange. After I added the strike water, I noticed a leak from the ball lock valve on my cooler mash tun. So, emptied the cooler and took everything apart. Then had to remember the order of the washers and gaskets o_O. Made for a long brew day but I made it! Looking forward to drinking this one. Smoky (bacony) smell was weirdly awesome!

I wound up doing the 90 minute boil and pretty much hit all my numbers. Day started out with a challange. After I added the strike water, I noticed a leak from the ball lock valve on my cooler mash tun. So, emptied the cooler and took everything apart. Then had to remember the order of the washers and gaskets o_O. Made for a long brew day but I made it! Looking forward to drinking this one. Smoky (bacony) smell was weirdly awesome!
I got the same thing as well as when drinking really had my mind going hey am I drinking or eating bacon or BOTH:D.

That has mellowed or faded a bit more now and combined to make a pleasurable session beer.

Next weekend I’m brewing it. Sooner if we go virtual next week due to absences and im home

Missed the gravity, efficiency must be off with the low mash volume. Extending the boil to 120 to compensate.
Sounds like a good plan.

I have found that less grain in the mash leads to higher efficiency, slightly.

In my session, I ended up with noticeably less wort for the fermenter, and was 4 points low in gravity. Finished up fine though, if a bit low at 1.002...

Back