Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

Good grief!.. Well I can't live up to the last one. That's for sure. What an honour - or is it a poison chalice?
I'll do my best but you may all live to regret it - if you live at all that is..
upload_2021-3-26_14-2-2.png

Doomed I say, we are all doomed...

Yes well as you have put me on the spot I have chosen a brew I have brewed before and it worked out well - someone other than me actually liked it. As it was ever so slightly out of style I have tweaked it a bit - only to drop the ABV within range - so I hope you like it.
It is a Belgian Dupple or Dubble depending how you want to pronounce it.

I have adjusted the recipe for Metric and Imperial (US) quantities for a 5 Gallon batch. If you want to scale it down then use the Scale calculator on here but be aware that pH values don't seem to translate across as they should (@Pricelessbrewing expect a report soon).
I have used Phosphoric Acid in the mash equation to get the pH to 5.4 but I guess you could use an acid malt to get the same result.

This was my first attempt at a Belgian brew and it turned out a bit like a Leffe Brune an Abbey Dubble type.
I tried to pitch it mid style - but got it wrong to start with and made it a bit too strong - so I have tweaked it to bring it back a bit.
It uses a Late Addition of Corn Sugar (Dextrose) to increase the strength - added off the boil and stirred in to dissolve it without burning. The Belgians use dark candy sugar to increase the strength and get some rum-raisin type flavours here but the Dextrose works so I used that.
There is nothing difficult about this - hell, it was one of my first beers that was drinkable so it shouldn't be a problem.
I used what hops I had available at the time so they are not the traditional Trappist types of Styrian Goldings and Saaz I used Goldings, Cascade and Challenger.
In the US you could substitute Fuggles for the Goldings, Centennial or Amarillo for the Cascade and Perle for the Challenger.

The water profile I used was a Balanced Profile II as it is a fairly malty dark beer so the salts etc that I show in the recipe were specific for the water I used. You will have to work out your own salts to suit the water you use.

The yeast I used was a Bulldog Belgian Saison B16 yeast but if you cant get that then a Safeale General/Belgian S33 or Abbaye Yeast BE-256 would do.

The grains I used were not the traditional "European" styles and mix to get the malty/biscuity flavours of the original style - which can be as many as 7 types including Pilsner - so I bunged in what I had to hand that I thought would work - given the guidance of the recipe builder (and we all know how accurate that is!).

Anyway I have chosen my Mannequin Pees recipe for you to try and I hope you like it. On the Zoom meeting tonight quite a few said they hadn't tried the style before so good luck. There are two versions of a 5 Gallon / 20 Litres brew

For the US/Imperial version:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1134070/mannequin-pees-us

For the Metric versions:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1133975/mannequin-pees

I hope these links work. If they don't then message me and I will send it to you direct.

Have fun.

If you want to use the label then feel free:

Last edited:
Ah, manneke pis ;)
Dubbel is not my favourite.
I'm hoping for the Blondes and Tripels to come when I got my ingredients and equipment out of jail :D:D:D
Good luck all.
I'll be following what is happening

My goodness, I can't fit 16+ pounds of grain in my system! Even 14 is a stretch.

I've been wanting to try a double mash method, where you mash twice, each with half the grain. Maybe add 5% to the bill to compensate for reduced efficiency mashing with wort. So that's what I think I'll be doing here. My goal is to come as close to the recipe as possible, and not necessarily aim for the style.

I'll definitely have this ready for the June zoom call! :D

Urgent Update to values in Recipe...

================================================================
NOTE: Update to the Volumes in both versions!!!!
The wrong Brewhouse Efficiency % was in the recipe and conversions of grain amounts was way out!!
My Fault entirely. A good pointer though to look at that value before posting,,,,

================================================================

Thank you @Donoroto for pointing me in that direction. I hadn't noticed the error before posting it.
upload_2021-3-28_13-11-52.png

Never done a Belgian...I'll look it over see what I have that will work and get anything I need tomorrow. Get this rolling next weekend...

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Pease be aware the volumes have been updated since last night. If you are using a printout from earlier then please revisit the link - they are corrected now but I had posted the recipes with a bad efficiency value which made for a huge grain bill!!!

@AHarper

Just found a bug where the late addition type is lost when copying a recipe. When copying make sure the sugar addition is set to late: kettle.

I got it scaled and added from my inventory. I’m excited to brew this. Is this a better brew to bottle as opposed to keg?

I'm looking at June once my current schedule of brews is done but I'm actually looking forward to trying this. The one ingredient I can't really find on MoreBeer is the amber malt. Is victory malt an adequate substitute? Something else? Or do I need to look elsewhere for the malt?

I got it scaled and added from my inventory. I’m excited to brew this. Is this a better brew to bottle as opposed to keg?
Good luck Josh. Did you scale the latest version - see above posts - and watch the Efficiency % - it caught me out this morning (as did all the beers I had!).

Back