Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

Agreed. I keg almost everything but Belgian beers. They are best bottle conditioned. It allows you to carb to 3.5-4 volumes. They keep longer too and age well in bottles.

I looked at priming calculators after seeing this. Some calculators go as high as 3.0 for Belgian Double. Other Belgian ales are in a more typical 2.5 type range. Do folks really go this high when priming? I was thinking of bottling this one too. I guess plenty of time to read up and get good advice.

I looked at priming calculators after seeing this. Some calculators go as high as 3.0 for Belgian Double. Other Belgian ales are in a more typical 2.5 type range. Do folks really go this high when priming? I was thinking of bottling this one too. I guess plenty of time to read up and get good advice.
Same I'd make sure the bottles could take that kind of preassure like Grolsch bottles.
Ive not bottled in awhile:eek:.

I think I have some Amber on the shelf from when I bought one of each specialty malt starting out. Looks interesting Al, but what kind of mad man uses corn sugar!? I'm legit curious what it's for, just ABV?

I think I have some Amber on the shelf from when I bought one of each specialty malt starting out. Looks interesting Al, but what kind of mad man uses corn sugar!? I'm legit curious what it's for, just ABV?
Thin out the body making it lighter I've not brewed this style before but I hear these big Belgian beers when brewed right can be a bit diceving on the ABV their supposed to come across as quite lighter than they really are.

That makes sense.

Well I usually aim for about 2.5 volumes for my bottles - 500ml / 1 pint. For me I use the single packets of sugar you get at cafes. I am essentially lazy and one per bottle works for me. I have never had a bottle bomb and some brews may have been slightly undercarbed but I also no longer burp loudly in company lol. You could do 3 packs between 2 bottles if necessary. You may chose your own method but I find this way useful to track what bottles i have seeded when bottling.

Well I usually aim for about 2.5 volumes for my bottles - 500ml / 1 pint. For me I use the single packets of sugar you get at cafes. I am essentially lazy and one per bottle works for me. I have never had a bottle bomb and some brews may have been slightly undercarbed but I also no longer burp loudly in company lol. You could do 3 packs between 2 bottles if necessary. You may chose your own method but I find this way useful to track what bottles i have seeded when bottling.
I also dose each bottle.

So where is the best place to steal sugar packets? Maybe Pret A Manger in the UK?

So where is the best place to steal sugar packets? Maybe Pret A Manger in the UK?
lol

I got a friend with a Wholesale Card to get me a box of 1000 for about £8. Each stick is 2.5gm approx
iu

I have to say I'm excited to brew this and try a double that tastes like beer We have one really nice restaurant nearby where we go for anniversaries and celebrations and they offer ONE Belgian beer from a US trappist brewer called Ommegang. OMG - it's a spice bomb. I always order it and always wish I hadn't.

Last edited:
I have to say I'm excited to brew this and try a double that tastes like beer We have one really nice restaurant nearby where we go for anniversaries and celebrations and they offer ONE Belgian beer from a US trappings brewer called Ommegang. OMG - it's a spice bomb. I always order it and always wish I hadn't.

Well I hope you do like it but be prepared to not. I'm no great brewer - just an amateur - but my name came out of the hat and I chose this recipe from all the ones I have brewed (which is not many) that I and a few friends liked. You may not so be prepared. I may have to live this down - I hope not but time will tell. I may have to become a Trappist Monk after all!

What temperature do you ferment at Al?
Is there a banana/clove balance to achieve with fermentation temperature?
What about with this yeast?
upload_2021-3-29_13-54-44.png

I have been playing around with the recipe a bit, and I have everything in the green for the style.
This is with the M41 yeast. I really prefer to stick with dry yeast as I don't have a means of aerating wort, other than pumping to into the fermenter...

upload_2021-3-29_14-1-29.png

I have been playing around with the recipe a bit, and I have everything in the green for the style.
This is with the M41 yeast. I really prefer to stick with dry yeast as I don't have a means of aerating wort, other than pumping to into the fermenter...

View attachment 14965

Hi Craig,
Yes I see what you mean - the recipe (as copied from my original) has a weird value there for the Temperature.
I believe I used 20 C when I did it.
Here is the Data I used for Yeast temps and it includes the M41 that you want to use:
upload_2021-3-29_19-16-48.png

So you probably need between 68 - 71 F for the M41

I guess any Belgian style yeast would do e.g. Safale BE134 or S33 but M41 would be fine.

@AHarper

Just found a bug where the late addition type is lost when copying a recipe. When copying make sure the sugar addition is set to late: kettle.
@Pricelessbrewing
I also found that when transferring across from Metric to US the temperature settings in the Yeast section copied across the values from Metric but did not convert them to Fahrenheit. The labels were changed but not the values.
I have updated the recipe to reflect the correct values but this must be another thing to check in the transfer.

Hi Craig,
Yes I see what you mean - the recipe (as copied from my original) has a weird value there for the Temperature.
I believe I used 20 C when I did it.
Here is the Data I used for Yeast temps and it includes the M41 that you want to use:
View attachment 14966

So you probably need between 68 - 71 F for the M41

I guess any Belgian style yeast would do e.g. Safale BE134 or S33 but M41 would be fine.
I'll be using one of them Safale options. Any preference between BE134 and S33?

Back