Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

I'm looking at June once my current schedule of brews is done but I'm actually looking forward to trying this. The one ingredient I can't really find on MoreBeer is the amber malt. Is victory malt an adequate substitute? Something else? Or do I need to look elsewhere for the malt?

Yes I think Victory would do - it is about the same PPG and Lovibond values. I have never used it so I don't know for certain but seems OK to me. Let us know how you get on.

You could probably reduce the % of the bill to nearer 20% anyway - my original version was probably too high for the recommended % but I was just learning (still am!) but it tasted OK to me. I may have shot tastebuds anyway. lol

@AHarper I was going to include a link to the label image with your recipe in the master list, but now I don't see it?

@AHarper I was going to include a link to the label image with your recipe in the master list, but now I don't see it?

Ah yes.. well because the values were wrong on it I had Priceless delete it. If you really want to use it then here it is - the updated version.

upload_2021-3-28_15-4-55.png

I didn't want to deny my guests the chance to see one of your fantastic labels, Alan :)

Alan, I didn't know you liked the EU so much that you'd include a copy of their flag on your label!

My goodness, I can't fit 16+ pounds of grain in my system! Even 14 is a stretch.

I've been wanting to try a double mash method, where you mash twice, each with half the grain. Maybe add 5% to the bill to compensate for reduced efficiency mashing with wort. So that's what I think I'll be doing here. My goal is to come as close to the recipe as possible, and not necessarily aim for the style.

I'll definitely have this ready for the June zoom call! :D
You could just brew a slightly smaller batch size, I may do that myself...

I got it scaled and added from my inventory. I’m excited to brew this. Is this a better brew to bottle as opposed to keg?
For me the high ABV makes this one to bottle, so I can share it...

I will probably also use Biscuit for Amber. What I read says that A, B, Cookie, and Victory are all "biscuit type" malts - add almost a toast like flavor. I'll shop a little for this, but I wanted some challenger anyway.

Alan I checked the hop substitute chart and my inventory of grain came up with a combination using mostly stuff I have on hand. This is where I'm at so far, any suggestions?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1134925/alan-s-mann-pee

Looks ok to me - figures are very similar so should be good. I know the Belgians use Pilsner malt too so yours may well have a more authentic taste. It will be drinkable that's for sure - and 6 gallons of it too!

So is there any backstory to the name? I find it a bit interesting...
Yes Steve,
Back in 2018 I was looking for a name to call a beer and I came across a small brass figure I got when I was on a trip to Brussels a long time ago and I thought it would be fun to make a beer that may turn out to taste like pee (not intentionally you understand!) - it was one of my earliest brews so you can tell I wasn't very confident of the outcome. So having got the name I searched for an obvious Belgian style and, since I wanted to make a strong beer, I opted for a Dupple.
Using the recipe builder I plugged in what ingredients I had to hand and came up with something very similar to the above.

If you want to read further about the statue I saw in Brussels and hence the name, see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis
I just changed the spelling a bit.

I'm looking at June once my current schedule of brews is done but I'm actually looking forward to trying this. The one ingredient I can't really find on MoreBeer is the amber malt. Is victory malt an adequate substitute? Something else? Or do I need to look elsewhere for the malt?
Victory is on lists as a sub. I’m doing that. I have victory for my bitters anyway

Good luck Josh. Did you scale the latest version - see above posts - and watch the Efficiency % - it caught me out this morning (as did all the beers I had!).
Yep I redid it. Thanks

@Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Pease be aware the volumes have been updated since last night. If you are using a printout from earlier then please revisit the link - they are corrected now but I had posted the recipes with a bad efficiency value which made for a huge grain bill!!!
I noticed this Allan but scaled it to my efficiency. Will go have another look at your recipie.
Hey what are your hop substitutes again Goldings- Cascade ?

I noticed this Allan but scaled it to my efficiency. Will go have another look at your recipie.
Hey what are your hop substitutes again Goldings- Cascade ?

In the US you could substitute Fuggles for the Goldings, Centennial or Amarillo for the Cascade and Perle for the Challenger. That's based on flavour and AA values.

Back