Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit
"Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head. Feed your head. Feed your head"

Thanks Grace Slick.
The "Who the f**k is Alice" seems to be a European thing.... I prefer "White Rabbit."

Back to brewing: Proudly presenting Nosy's mods to the Recipe of the Quarter:

(drum roll.....)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1136028/mannequin-pees-us-nosy-s-mods

What I did: less crystal, higher Lovibond, replaced dextrose with D-45 Candi syrup, reworked the water, changed the mash volumes somewhat. Why I did it: I love the caramel flavor of Candi syrup and the raisin/burnt-sugar flavor of the higher Lovibond crystal. By the time I brew it, I may add in some C-150 just to pump up those higher L crystal flavors. I also rounded the amounts of the other ingredients to the half-pound. In the water profile I saw both acid and base so for the RO water, the acid was unnecessary - I still had to adjust the pH up to get to 5.4. Should make a good beer and gets me out of my wheelhouse.

Here's my one gallon attempt:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1134858/mannequin-pees

I'm getting low on Victory and I'm completely out of Cascade. @AHarper I'm worried I strayed a little too far, what do you think?

Hi there, I have never brewed small amounts or used Victory Malt either but I can't see anything wrong with what you have done. I have never used Sterling hops either but Saaz is supposed to be a substitute and that gets used in the original Leffe Dupple (well at least the recipe Ive seen) so go with it. I'm sure it will be fine but if it isn't then let us all know and we will know not to use it in a Dupple hehe ;-)
Go with it - it will be a beer.

I knocked the victory down to 10% myself because it seems to fit the usage recommendation of more of an amber beer so that it doesn't have as much of the toasted biscuit character you may want in a darker beer but I've only used it in a porter so I'm kinda guessing here too

Back to brewing: Proudly presenting Nosy's mods to the Recipe of the Quarter:

(drum roll.....)

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1136028/mannequin-pees-us-nosy-s-mods

What I did: less crystal, higher Lovibond, replaced dextrose with D-45 Candi syrup, reworked the water, changed the mash volumes somewhat. Why I did it: I love the caramel flavor of Candi syrup and the raisin/burnt-sugar flavor of the higher Lovibond crystal. By the time I brew it, I may add in some C-150 just to pump up those higher L crystal flavors. I also rounded the amounts of the other ingredients to the half-pound. In the water profile I saw both acid and base so for the RO water, the acid was unnecessary - I still had to adjust the pH up to get to 5.4. Should make a good beer and gets me out of my wheelhouse.
Hey noseybear or anyone else for that matter.
Any tips tricks links for one that wants to make their own Belgium candy sugar.
It's my first crack at the style so want to get my hands dirty doing some DIY style Candy sugar.
I know @Herm_brews you've done some?

It's my first crack at the style so want to get my hands dirty doing some DIY style Candy sugar.
Give me tomorrow, I Know there are links out there.

Sorry Ben, I can’t offer any help.
I have brewed a couple Belgian style witbiers, but have no experience with Belgian candy sugar.

SEE THIS HERE: THE FULL LINK IS (https://youtu.be/##xk7vU1sZ7J0) REMOVE THE ## HERE

Last edited:
@AHarper For me, this will be an exploration of a new continent named Belgian Beers. Like Lewis & Clark out into the unknown. As a result I was unquestioningly following Alans recipe until I noticed the 3 Qt/LB Mash Thickness. As I worked through my recipe Spread Sheet & input the Mash Thickness my sheet came up with 21 Gallons of water needed. I figured that was way outside my equipment. I looked at Nosy's modifications & saw he had used 1.5 Qt/Lb. That is more familiar to my experience. I copied his change & my sheet was happy at 12 Gallons including Sparge.
I'm stoked to break trail in this unexplored continent. I haven't botted in 4 years but I still have boxes of Fischer swing tops with silicon washers. Restaurant Sugar packets? Cool we'll have to sneak into some restaurant supply places.

Thanks Alan. I'm on it, soon as the Cream Ale is out of the Fermenter

20mins in looks redish In the pot but golden on some grease proof paper woo hooo it's working

Resized_20210402_081422.jpeg

Gunna do 20more.
Smells like toffee apples in here man I havnt had one of them since a kid.

Ok it got darker quick
Resized_20210402_083157.jpeg

I might a pushed it a tad too faro_O it tastes like brunt caramel type thing :eek:.
Well it's dark which is what we were going for.
Cool

Here's my notes I wrote down I got this from HBT forum.

500g cane sugar (raw I used )
Add enough water to make syrup.
Added acid Tartic I used 96% phosphoric acid 1ml.
Boil between 127-135c.
Keep water handy to cool mix down .
15-20 Golden
I went 20 more and that's what I got.

Here the link don't do what I did lol my first time.
How to Make Candi Sugar | HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-to-make-candi-sugar.42786/

Oh this is the end result I'm storing it In the freezer It's still sticky to touch.
IMG_5715.jpg

Last edited:
Most of the Belgian breweries (including the trappists) changed to using table sugar when the price of candy sugars got too high. I think that started in the 90s and they've only just started going back to them.

I've still got too many memories of the blisters I'd get when I played around with toffee and the like when I was young. So I'm probably just looking for justifications to skip this step.

@AHarper For me, this will be an exploration of a new continent named Belgian Beers. Like Lewis & Clark out into the unknown. As a result I was unquestioningly following Alans recipe until I noticed the 3 Qt/LB Mash Thickness. As I worked through my recipe Spread Sheet & input the Mash Thickness my sheet came up with 21 Gallons of water needed. I figured that was way outside my equipment. I looked at Nosy's modifications & saw he had used 1.5 Qt/Lb. That is more familiar to my experience. I copied his change & my sheet was happy at 12 Gallons including Sparge.
I'm stoked to break trail in this unexplored continent. I haven't botted in 4 years but I still have boxes of Fischer swing tops with silicon washers. Restaurant Sugar packets? Cool we'll have to sneak into some restaurant supply places.

Thanks Alan. I'm on it, soon as the Cream Ale is out of the Fermenter

Yes a few people from the Colonies ( :) ) have found some of the values "odd" and the one you mentioned above (3 Qt/LB Mash Thickness) is twice what it should be. This is ENTIRELY down to the Recipe Builder NOT converting all values correctly.
From 3 Lt /kg it should translate (roughly) to 1.5 Qt/Lb since 1 Lb = 1/2 kg the converter should have HALVED the water volume. Tut Tut.
There are a few issues with the conversion and I think @Pricelessbrewing has a ticket (probably several) relating to the errors.
I am pleased that you are breaking new ground - I only hope it works out. My recipe was an early attempt at a Dupple and only an approximation using what I had to hand. It had a nice, slightly raisin fruitiness to it and had a kick (my original recipe was out of style over-strong but I like them like that) it meant that I only need two pints for an evening - weight watching has it's downfall.

My defence in trying to match the style was trying to get green ticks against the selected Style Name. This does NOT work accurately enough to be reliable. To that end I am working to determine where the faults are and I think I know what the problem is but whether or not Mark or Yooper will agree is another matter. I have just been mapping all my recipes against the BJCP Style limits and every single one has one or more discrepancies. I have a lot of work to do.

Most of the Belgian breweries (including the trappists) changed to using table sugar when the price of candy sugars got too high. I think that started in the 90s and they've only just started going back to them.

I've still got too many memories of the blisters I'd get when I played around with toffee and the like when I was young. So I'm probably just looking for justifications to skip this step.
Yeah now it's cooled it tastes like burnt toffee:rolleyes:

Hey I see your using Verdant yeast in thiso_O?
Likely not. I'll look for a Belgian dry yeast. I'll also scale down to 3 gal as well. I'll find the caramel, not exactly Candi syrup, recipe for you tomorrow.

Back