Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

134 is the diastaticus yeast. Finishes dry. Like below 1010.

Finalizing recipie wondering on using Special B as the Crystal malt addition.
I just wonder if that would add to much colour it's Dingermans so Belgium crystal malt.
Either this or it's Gladfields dark.crystal that comes in around 75lovibond 200ebc.
What think ye?

I have a wee bit of Special B on the shelf (140 grams) definitely throwing that in! Got me thinking about the yeast, I will have to do a bit more research before deciding on that.

Is this a beer that would age well? Several months?
A year?

I have a wee bit of Special B on the shelf (140 grams) definitely throwing that in! Got me thinking about the yeast, I will have to do a bit more research before deciding on that.
Yeah I think so as well. HB stocks Dingermans Special B and Biscuit I was hoping for pils malt from Dingermans as well but not to be I'm guessing imports and Covid might be to blame. Bloody Covid ...
I visited my local HB store for some Co2 and pulled the trigger on S-33 so it shall be:rolleyes:.
A starter I think is needed at this gravity

A starter I think is needed at this gravity
I didnt use a starter for S33 and, if I remember correctly, I didn't have a Ferm Fridge then either and it all went well. Mind I dont live in the wilds of Queensland so not subject to the searing heat of OZ. It wouldn't harm it though if you did a starter just not essential.

I didnt use a starter for S33 and, if I remember correctly, I didn't have a Ferm Fridge then either and it all went well. Mind I dont live in the wilds of Queensland so not subject to the searing heat of OZ. It wouldn't harm it though if you did a starter just not essential.
Cool I'll just pitch it in;).
Your right about the PH thing the water calc didn't want to calculate the acid addition section in water calc target 5.4 I use phosphoric acid 96%.
Anyhow this is what I'm looking at Allan what do you think.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1135634/aharper-s-q2bfc-recipie
Ah couldn't get special B and ended up grabbing a bag or golden promise.

Last edited:
Cool I'll just pitch it in;).
Your right about the PH thing the water calc didn't want to calculate the acid addition section in water calc target 5.4 I use phosphoric acid 96%.
Anyhow this is what I'm looking at Allan what do you think.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1135634/aharper-s-q2bfc-recipie

According to the MaltMiller - and other data I have - the max use of the Biscuit is only 10% (15% at a push) so 26% is probably too much. I was pushing it a bit with my Amber (reccommended max = 20%) and on second look I should have substituted something else for the extra 3%. At the time I didn't have anything else I could have used.

Looking at the charts and the MaltMiller data you could get away with 10 - 15% use of a Red X (if you can get it) it has the same, roughly, EBC or a Munich II, Both can be used up to 100% of the grain bill and produce a red/dark colour to the beer.

I'm no expert but I have been reading up about the Max usage of various grains and a lot of my recipes need tweaking as a result of going over the recommended limits of the various grains. I should have done it to this recipe (re the 23% above) but I was trying to stick to what my brew turned out to be.

Here is a grain bill for a known Leffe style Dupple. You can see the limitations of the various grains here.
upload_2021-3-30_11-59-44.png

As you can see the dark Munich used is max 21%.
I have no idea as to the nuances of all these different grains for the different styles but I guess a style is a style and the BJCP guides define the limitations. If I was doing the recipe again I would tweak my Amber (your Biscuit) to within the recommended range just to nearer follow what the experts say.
Brew it and see what happens. I may brew it again and adjust to what I now now. It won't taste bad regardless.

Has that helped?
Other than that it looks pretty similar to my recipe. I hope it works out OK.

According to the MaltMiller - and other data I have - the max use of the Biscuit is only 10% (15% at a push) so 26% is probably too much. I was pushing it a bit with my Amber (reccommended max = 20%) and on second look I should have substituted something else for the extra 3%. At the time I didn't have anything else I could have used.

Looking at the charts and the MaltMiller data you could get away with 10 - 15% use of a Red X (if you can get it) it has the same, roughly, EBC or a Munich II, Both can be used up to 100% of the grain bill and produce a red/dark colour to the beer.

I'm no expert but I have been reading up about the Max usage of various grains and a lot of my recipes need tweaking as a result of going over the recommended limits of the various grains. I should have done it to this recipe (re the 23% above) but I was trying to stick to what my brew turned out to be.

Here is a grain bill for a known Leffe style Dupple. You can see the limitations of the various grains here.
View attachment 14975
As you can see the dark Munich used is max 21%.
I have no idea as to the nuances of all these different grains for the different styles but I guess a style is a style and the BJCP guides define the limitations. If I was doing the recipe again I would tweak my Amber (your Biscuit) to within the recommended range just to nearer follow what the experts say.
Brew it and see what happens. I may brew it again and adjust to what I now now. It won't taste bad regardless.

Has that helped?
Other than that it looks pretty similar to my recipe. I hope it works out OK.
Ah thankyou Allan I was blindly just following your scaled weights. I'll dial it back to below 15% and replace difference with base malt.
I stuck to your hop choice too.

Ah thankyou Allan I was blindly just following your scaled weights. I'll dial it back to below 15% and replace difference with base malt.
I stuck to your hop choice too.
Yes I see that. Hey I hope it works.

Alice Alice who the **** is Alice :rolleyes:!

Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit
"Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head. Feed your head. Feed your head"

Thanks Grace Slick.

"Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
Have fallen sloppy dead,

Thanks Grace Slick.

The best version of White Rabbit is by Nancy Liker - look her up on Youtube.

"Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
Have fallen sloppy dead,

Thanks Grace Slick.

And we have a winner boys and girls!!!!

Amber Malt and a packet of BE-256 shipped out today, should have them by Friday. Maybe rock this bad boy out to some Ray Wylie Hubbard on Saturday morning...

Back