Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

Unless you want burnt flavor in the beer, make a second batch and feed that first one to the ants.
Thanks but I think it'll be fine I'm gunna roll with it. Put it this way when I bite into some dark crystal malt I'm getting similar flavours (in my mind anyhow). I'm imagining this won't be detrimental to the beer. I guess we will find out:rolleyes:.

Let’s talk dry yeast. S-33 and Lallamand Abbaye, I assumed I spelled Abbey Correctly:)
Can anyone tel me how these 2 compare? Also throw T-58 in the mix.

I am leaning towards BE-256. Was doing a bit of research earlier in the week, but to be honest I forget what made me lean this way:rolleyes:

Going to have to wait a week. Rather than drive 20 minutes into Madison after work and fight traffic to get back out of town, I decided just to have the ingredients I need shipped. Well the post office has had the package for 5 days now(usually NEXT DAY, going from Madison to my house), could be worse, I have another package(ordered 2 days earlier) that still hasn't arrived because it was sent to the wrong Post Office...TWICE.

Guv'mint efficiency for ya. :rolleyes:

I'm also in a yeast quandary. I have a pack of BE 134 but that is a diastaticus yeast and I think it is best saved for a saison (although it would work). I have some S 33 on the way and it is at least hinted that it is better for higher ABV like a dubbel. Then I have a pack of T 58 which must be similar to BE 256 as it is good for a range of Belgian beers. I guess maybe T is for Trappist. I would toss a coin, but I need a 3 sided coin.

Last edited:
Mash is on mash out here nice copper/Amber wort chewy biscuity aroma had a little taste of the wort so far I'm liking it.
Resized_20210405_142607.jpeg

16.3 SRM this puts it I havnt added the sugar.
Resized_20210405_170618.jpeg

OG came in at 1.067 a point off my expected 1.068 wort is tasty rich and malty 21.5lt into the fermentor.
Did some bottle cleaning and a count I've just got enough to bottle this batch.

I really enjoyed brewing this beer today.
It's been raining cats and dogs all Easter long weekend nothing better to do I rekon on a rainy day!

Used the pool water for the recirc I started the timer when I hit the pump on 35mins it took to get to 26c not a drop of ground water used to get it down it would of been a waste to add more water to an already drenched yard!

Looking forward to everyone else's brew days

Last edited:
Mash is on mash out here nice copper/Amber wort chewy biscuity aroma had a little taste of the wort so far I'm liking it.
View attachment 15082
16.3 SRM this puts it I havnt added the sugar.
View attachment 15083
OG came in at 1.067 a point off my expected 1.068 wort is tasty rich and malty 21.5lt into the fermentor.
Did some bottle cleaning and a count I've just got enough to bottle this batch.

I really enjoyed brewing this beer today.
It's been raining cats and dogs all Easter long weekend nothing better to do I rekon on a rainy day!

Used the pool water for the recirc I started the timer when I hit the pump on 35mins it took to get to 26c not a drop of ground water used to get it down it would of been a waste to add more water to an already drenched yard!

Looking forward to everyone else's brew days
A friend's kids went up your way for the weekend. I think they've spent most of the weekend in the hotel room eating take away.

A friend's kids went up your way for the weekend. I think they've spent most of the weekend in the hotel room eating take away.
Ah man it's still raining:eek::oops:. Im growing gills and webbed feet! It'll probably sweep South NSW turn next let's hope not!

Hi there, I have never brewed small amounts or used Victory Malt either but I can't see anything wrong with what you have done. I have never used Sterling hops either but Saaz is supposed to be a substitute and that gets used in the original Leffe Dupple (well at least the recipe Ive seen) so go with it. I'm sure it will be fine but if it isn't then let us all know and we will know not to use it in a Dupple hehe ;-)
Go with it - it will be a beer.
Thanks for the feedback, I will be brewing this week :)

I assume since some of you keggers have mentioned bottling, that some of you plan on aging this one? I might try to keep mine cellaring until the end of the quarter, and save it for the June zoom meeting :)

Bought a proper packet of Belgian BE-124 yesterday and some Amber malt to make sure I Was prepped for this.

I can see I am going to have to brew this again this week - just to keep up with you all. I just bottled 35 pints of a Scottish 80/- so I do need another brew on the go. Mannequin Pees plus a Californian Common (Tiggy's Tipple) this week then..
I'm going to be busy.

The main reason I am bottling it is that it is bit heavy ABV wise to have 5 gallons on tap. The other reason is to save a dozen or more bottles to add to the variety that I will have available come December, when, hopefully we can have a big croud over to celebrate the season!

Back