Q2 2021 Brewersfriend Community Recipie.

I ended up with about 3 extra liters and a gravity of 1.058 at the end, pitched Be-134 cause it's what the shop had in stock. I let the wort get down to around 7C before bringing it inside to pitch by accident so it hasn't taken off yet but it smells quite nice.

@Trialben FYI.
I left mine for 9 days (we went on holiday and left it) and it dropped down to 1.002.
I did not have a Tilt then to produce a regular graph so my readings were manual, infrequent and probably inaccurate (though not by much).
In addition my original recipe was a bit over weight - so I curbed it a bit for the Q2 - experience gains something I suppose. My system calculated attenuation was, therefore, a bit suspect at 97%! Even so the S33 gave me a high result. This WAS my original remember.
View attachment 15181
Bloody Nora!:eek: yeah I don't think I'll get under 1.014 that's my expectations maybe if I used dextrose as you recommended...
Cheers

I am not inclined to try and make the dark candi sugar, but I have these on hand, any reason I can't use these?
Needing 700 grams, each of these is 454 grams, I could just grab a second pouch of the 180, and save the 45 for something else.

upload_2021-4-12_17-15-38.png

upload_2021-4-12_17-15-15.png

Sorry, another question should I target a higher pH, say 5.4, or 5.5.
I currently have mine at 5.31

Sorry, another question should I target a higher pH, say 5.4, or 5.5.
I currently have mine at 5.31
Yeah I would 5.4. I'd use the candi syrup for sure
That's more than I used only 150g as per Al's recipie unless I got that wrong?

I am not inclined to try and make the dark candi sugar, but I have these on hand, any reason I can't use these?
Needing 700 grams, each of these is 454 grams, I could just grab a second pouch of the 180, and save the 45 for something else.

View attachment 15202

View attachment 15201

Hi @Craigerrr I have now knowledge of these items. Are they a syrup rather than crystals? If so then I guess the darker one would do.

Don't use 700gm! the recipe calls for 170gm (6 oz).

Yeah I would 5.4. I'd use the candi syrup for sure
That's more than I used only 150g as per Al's recipie unless I got that wrong?

Yeas I agree @Trialben
==============================
I have just brewed Mannequin Pees and, using the Metric recipe, I thought you might like some results that may help others.
I used 28 lt of water altogether.
Mash maintained at 65C over the hour. pH 5.53 (not the calculated 5.4 - no idea why).
First runnings: SG = 1.068
Second runnings: SG = 1.049
Into Kettle: 20lt @ SG = 1.052.
Post Boil: SG = 1.064

Altogether 16lt into FV. After 12 hours SG = 1.062 (3% Atten)

I hope this helps.

Checked the gravity of my Q2 brew this morning; after 5 days it's attenuated 64%. I used S33, so I think after another week or so it'll be ready for bottling. I really enjoyed the sample, well done Alan! Looking forward to the finished product

Checked the gravity of my Q2 brew this morning; after 5 days it's attenuated 64%. I used S33, so I think after another week or so it'll be ready for bottling. I really enjoyed the sample, well done Alan! Looking forward to the finished product
Mines finished around 1.019 ish expected 1.015 attenuation is 73% here I think this yeast doesn't have a high attenuation.
I've got some force carbing in some pet bottles for a little tasty tasty hoping to bottle this weekend

A burst carbed pour.
20210416_165921.jpg

I'm not gunna offer any opinion just yet it needs some time I think. There's some good malt flavour and some esters which I can a put a finger on nothing bannana pretty clean really I'm not good on the clove snifta but tastes nice and smooth.
Anyhow a first glimpse I'll get some in bottles and pour a glass with you all on zoom next time round:).

I had set up my machine to do a 45 minute alpha rest at 62C, then a beta rest at 68C, and just set that to 3 hours so I didn't have to keep a close eye on it. After slightly less than 3 hours I have just set it to mash out temp 75C. Having some lunch then will sparge and start heating to boil. Wort is crystal clear :D

Bottled my batch of Mannequin Pees this morning. OG was 1.072 and FG is 1.023, so about 68% attenuation in the end. The avg atten. for the yeast that I used (Safale S33) is about 70%, so I'm pretty pleased with that. I think this will end up being more like an Old Ale or Strong Ale than a Belgian Dubbel (known for low FG and dryness), but I think it will still be delicious :) My folks are visiting in mid-May and I'm hoping to take this beer for them to try.

Last edited:
Bottled my batch of Mannequin Pees this morning. OG was 1.072 and FG is 1.023, so about 68% attenuation in the end. The avg atten. for the yeast that I used (Safale S33) is about 70%, so I'm pretty pleased with that. I think this will end up being more like an Old Ale or Strong Ale than a Belgian Dubbel (known for low FG and dryness), but I think it will still be delicious :) My folks are visiting in mid-May and I'm hoping to take this beer for them to try.
Cool makes my 73% more normal not used to this low attenuation.
Makes me think this yeast might be a good choice for lighter ABV beer styles with its low attenuation.

BE-256 has been chugging since late Friday, starting to slow down now. Will keep it at 18C (plus or minus as my cheap electronic device is capable of) until Friday. Brewing again Friday, and will need the fermenting fridge then. Will set my garage heater (if needed) to keep it at 18 after that for another week.

Well mine was O.G. 1.064 Current S.G. 1.007 and won't get much lower so bottling Wednesday. Attenuation = 88;5%. ABV = 7.5%
Pitched at 22C and put into Fridge set at 16C. Two days later turned temp up to 21C and yeast took off with wort peaking at 23 C - the heat from the fermentation producing the extra then dying down over 4 days. I have anther beer in the fridge which is also finishing off. I'll be busy bottling on Thursday too.

Back