I brewed today!

Brewing crunks helles recipe again but no chill this time going to try Mark d pirates starter technique.

Havnt done a morning brew in some time but im smoking out the patio area lol:p.
Dont know if you can see in photo...
20180728_083359.jpg

I got started at 9AM this morning trying to beat the heat. Only about 90F when I got it in the carboy and inside. Up to about 100 by the time I got done cleaning up. Only good thing is I was in the shade after about 11:00AM.
0727181754a_Film3_resized (1).jpg

I've never really been able to figure out video. For as technical as i am I'm garbage at that stuff.

English Brown. Numbers matched up perfectly to the BF recipe. It was oppressively hot with the burner going. Summer is almost over, enjoy it while it's still here, right?

Brewed 20gal split to 2 10gal IPA's. Gave the old swamp cooler a workout. It took 9 hours and still some clean up for morning. Triple digit temps today outside not in brewery though. Even had one of those Missouri sky's this morning, with yellowish purplish cloud cover. Not as thick and heavy but the colors were there.

CE4576F6-3620-4B4B-A6A3-CFA4972EA846.jpeg

Nice little 5 point (still in velvet) enjoying the some warm spent grains of the Nut Brown Ale we brewed today. Within 10 minutes of dumping the grains, he and a few others showed up. I guess they enjoy brewday as much as we do.

Piwo Grodziskie sure smells good boiling.... And it's done, in the fridge, final ramp down to fermentation temperature. The wort really smelled good! I used a 3-step mash to get the gum, the protein out and finally to saccarify warm (158 degrees).

Last edited:
I don't change my hop timings between chill and no chill.
Not saying there's no difference but without listing entire process I just do what works on my little system
True what about extended boil time? Ive got 30 min extended boil i dont no chill much but last two brews i have ive got 23lt cube so i use 2 lt to make starter its been effective so far.

Particularly this time of year ( still bloody cold outside) my wort will drop past 70 degrees very quickly whether I actively chill or not.
Your mileage will vary depending on temp , humidity and equipment

Did my first lager (Pacifico Clone)attempt on Friday, pretty basic lager. Tasted pretty good and sitting at 1.046. Not sure if I want to dry hop it yet or not, feel like it might need a little extra. Only been in the fridge for 2 days so I have some time.

Attachments

• 20180817_171746-2268x3024.jpg
    20180817_171746-2268x3024.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 89
I dont usually dry hop my lager s but depends on what you going for i suppose. Remember dry hop my introduce haze

Added 1.2KG of raspberries to my raspberry blonde today, we'll see how it goes.

Back