What's your next brew

I just brewed a Dark ale using some leftovers ( OG 1.096 ) and I will be brewing 3 more starting Friday and ending on Sunday:

Friday--- A Saison with a mix of 2 yeasts / Hops: Styrian Dragon and Amarillo
Saturday--- A Belgian Pale with a mix of 2 yeasts / Hops: Mosaic
Sunday--- A DIPA with a mix of 3 yeasts / Hops: Columbus, Galaxy and Citra

I just brewed a Dark ale using some leftovers ( OG 1.096 ) and I will be brewing 3 more starting Friday and ending on Sunday:

Friday--- A Saison with a mix of 2 yeasts / Hops: Styrian Dragon and Amarillo
Saturday--- A Belgian Pale with a mix of 2 yeasts / Hops: Mosaic
Sunday--- A DIPA with a mix of 3 yeasts / Hops: Columbus, Galaxy and Citra
Whats the go with tge yeast mixes Haze? Are you introducing them to the wort at different stages or just letting them compete together in tge brew feom start to finnish.

German Pils. Thinking about adding just a touch of melanoid malt and I'm still toying around with the mash temp. 150 or 154. And wondering if I'd even notice... 154 matches the style according to the numbers a bit better.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/556388
If by a touch of melanoidin you mean an ounce or less, probably good. When I do German light lagers, I step mash: 144/156/170. If you're mashing in a cooler, I'd go with 152, knowing it will cool off through the course of the mash. Just a suggestion, lose the melanoidin and use about 10% Vienna - works well for me!

My next beer is Altbier using the grist I found in Kunze's book. Currently fermenting a Saison, packaging a Patersbier and a 1.5 year soured Wit.

Brewing an English Brown Ale. Haven't tried the Wyeast 1098 yet as my first beer using a 1098 didn't go so well. The yeast went bad during shipping so I resorted to Wyeast 1056.

Whats the go with tge yeast mixes Haze? Are you introducing them to the wort at different stages or just letting them compete together in tge brew feom start to finnish.

The DIPA is actually inspired from this particular thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=623221 - apparently TreeHouse uses a blend of S-04, T-58 and WB-06 with possibly some bottle conditioning yeast for carbonation and oxygen scavenging. ( WB-06 is highly attenuative, leaves no residual sugars, but has a lot of esters in the finished product - check Fermentis product sheets )

I will however skip the bottling strain and carb. with refined cane sugar.

I will add the WB-06 ( 3% ) and half of the S-04 on the brew day ( pich and hold at a higher temp--- 74F ), then the next day I will add the rest of the S-04 and the T-58 (10% ) and reduce the temp. a bit.

For the saison ( which actually will turn into a Belgian DIPA at around 8-8.5% ), I will pitch both yeasts ( SafAle BE-134---80% and Brewferm Blanche---20% ) at the same time and raise temp. every day from 62F on brew day coming up to 75F.

The Belgian Pale will get the Brewferm Blanche yeast first and then the T-58 ( works very fast at high temps. ).

All beers will be underpitched on purpose, to get more esters from the yeasts or at least this is what I expect to achieve.

I will mash high at 154.4F/68C, use simple grainbills ( Pilsner, Wheat, Flaked wheat and oats --- no crystal or " darker " ale malts ), balance the water profile towards higher levels of CaCl2 and a mash ph between 5.3-5.35. I will not dry hop during fermentation as this leads to a quicker oxidation. This means I will not benefit from the " biotransformation ", but the beers will be (heavily) dry hopped.

All in all, I want to brew some refreshing beers, with a good hop presence, low bitterness and soft mouthfeel, to enjoy for Xmas along with friends and family, that requested such beers, as opossed to the usual bitter (IPAs?) beers I normally brew. ( dry and high-ish on sulphate )

If by a touch of melanoidin you mean an ounce or less, probably good. When I do German light lagers, I step mash: 144/156/170. If you're mashing in a cooler, I'd go with 152, knowing it will cool off through the course of the mash. Just a suggestion, lose the melanoidin and use about 10% Vienna - works well for me!
Thanks for the advice! I haven't done such a light style lager before so I'm going in rookie style.

one of the hardest beers to make for a home brewer, defiantly work on the water first

Favour sulphate for that crisp bitterness. My go to is straight bo floor malted pils malt step mashed low and sazz hops let the clean lager yeast do its job carbonate well and youve got a winner.

An Altbier based on Kunze's grist. First brew will be three gallons, then tweak....

I'm Leaning toward My Bunyip Beer again but as am still undecided...

I have a friend who says she has a friend coming in to visit from South Africa. And I asked if she could bring me about 8oz of hops, so I found a list here: https://www.zahops.com/hop-varieties. So, small chance I could be brewing a South African hopped IPA.

Smoky Blonde is just about done - dang that S-04 eats up maltose quickly, especially when you pitch two rehydrated packs of yeast....Not yet sure what's next, may be a Marzen, test for next year's batch.

SMaSH beer with Maris Otter and Citra. Adding some lactose and flaked oats for some added character. No longer a SMaSH technically, but it was the first time we brewed it ;)

Back