2nd Batch Recipe Advice

LAWelsh

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi... looking for some advice on a 2nd batch extract recipe. Looking to do a citrus inspired wheat beer for a trip we are doing in a month or so, and came up with a bit of a mix of 2 recipes I've found out there. Wondering if the flavor profile of this is off (particularly whether the citrusy hops and zest are going to amplify and leave it too overwhelming) and also if this feels a bit too ambitious for a beginner whose first batch seems to be doing OK after a couple of weeks of primary but obviously is nowhere near the finished product yet.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Beer Stats:
Method: Extract
Style: American Wheat Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Pre Boil Size: 3 gallons
Post Boil Size: 1.5 gallons
Pre Boil Gravity: 1.075 (recipe based estimate)
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.77%
IBU (Tinseth): 23.1
SRM (Morey): 3.71

Fermentables:
6 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat 92.3%

Steeping Grains:
0.50 lb American - Wheat (flaked) 7.7%

Hops:
1 oz Motueka Pellet Boil 30 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace Pellet Boil 5 min

Additionals:
BSG - Coriander Seed Spice Boil 5 min.
4 tsp Orange Zest Flavor Boil 15 min.
2 tsp Lemon Zest Flavor Boil 15 min.

Yeast:
Fermentis - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Remember that flaked wheat is not a steeping grain, and shouldn’t be steeped. If you had .5 pound of base malt to it, and hold it at 150-155F for 45-60 minutes, it’s a mash though and it would convert.

I can’t comment on the coriander and zest, as I don’t care for those things but others will be able to help with that!

Would this be a rough attempt at a Blue Moon?

I wonder about changing the flaked wheat to wheat malt. I believe it would still need to be smashed as Yooper suggests above. Other than this I am not much help to you, I do like a blue moon on hot summer day occasionally, but I haven't attempted to brew it.

Would this be a rough attempt at a Blue Moon?

I wonder about changing the flaked wheat to wheat malt. I believe it would still need to be smashed as Yooper suggests above. Other than this I am not much help to you, I do like a blue moon on hot summer day occasionally, but I haven't attempted to brew it.
Yep, wheat malt needs to be mashed. Other side, you can get away with not mashing flaked wheat. You won't get much conversion but you should get some of the glucans out of it. But the mini-mash technique she described will work much better.

Seems like you have a lot of boil off to go from 3 gal to 1.5 and then top up to 5 gal with water. Your OG seems like it would be pretty low. Am I missing something?

Seems like you have a lot of boil off to go from 3 gal to 1.5 and then top up to 5 gal with water. Your OG seems like it would be pretty low. Am I missing something?
90 minute boil?

Thanks - I wish I'd remembered to come back here before brewing it... definitely wasn't that much boil off, ended up around 2.5 after boil but still missed my target OG pretty badly (1.042 aiming for 1.052). The flaked wheat definitely came from the recipe (25 min steep) from a clone recipe site I bought the ingredients from, so was that what I missed?

Also a LOT of orange bitter flavor in the wort, so I'm hoping some of that improves over time and post ferment.

Back