Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

We did buy the wings, but we do a half of beef every year so the freezer is always stocked.
My wife's parents are still cattle ranchers so we split one every year with another sibling and pay for the processing.
I've got plenty of room for a hog or two, but haven't taken that on just because of all the other animals we have and haven't felt like taking on more.

Same, family has done cattle most of my life.

Those look great there TW! How did you season them? When I do wings on the Q, I just cook them plain, then toss them in my home made buffalo sauce.
On these wings I seasoned them with Lawry's Garlic Salt, black pepper, and the bestest part:
IMG_20200630_110231.jpg

Sometimes I use lemon and pepper, and sometimes I marinate them in wing sauce or teriyaki. Just depends on the mood!

@BOB357 that looks excellent!

On these wings I seasoned them with Lawry's Garlic Salt, black pepper, and the bestest part:
View attachment 10635

Sometimes I use lemon and pepper, and sometimes I marinate them in wing sauce or teriyaki. Just depends on the mood!

@BOB357 that looks excellent!

I make my own Creole seasoning. (recipe below) Used Chakere's for years. It's the best you can buy. I over seasoned the leg quarters with my Cajun rub (recipe below), so they were like hot Cajun wings. I often do that with chicken parts. All ya gotta do is peel off the skin and you got some perfectly seasoned yard bird. Wife put a bunch in Mac n cheese and it was outstanding.

Attachments

• Cajun Rub.pdf
    295.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Creole Seasoning.pdf
    298.9 KB · Views: 55
I make my own Creole seasoning. (recipe below) Used Chakere's for years. It's the best you can buy. I over seasoned the leg quarters with my Cajun rub (recipe below), so they were like hot Cajun wings. I often do that with chicken parts. All ya gotta do is peel off the skin and you got some perfectly seasoned yard bird. Wife put a bunch in Mac n cheese and it was outstanding.

I'm for sure gonna whip up some of that creole seasoning.

Got a couple chucks on the que. There were some beef short ribs on but I pulled them to wrap em up.
IMG_20200630_115358.jpg

Now you made me hungry for beef.

Looking at the Smith's/Kroeger ad. They've got Choice whole brisket for $2.99/lb. I see some corned beef, pastrami and great burger meat in the near future.

Went out earlier and picked a few tomatoes. Sliced, salt & peppered and got them in the fridge. Wife baked a couple loaves of bread and picked some lettuce. First BLTs of the year for supper.

Just pulled a couple slabs out of the freezer. Will be cooking them up on the 4th. One of my favorite rib recipes below. I've also attached the rub and sauce recipes I use for these ribs. The Jalapeño pepper imparts a nice bit of flavor and no heat. Replace with any other pepper or omit it. These ribs are a real crowd pleaser. As a bonus, if you start out with full cut spare ribs, you end up with a bunch of trimmings to make Carnitas (one of my favorite uses), or add to a pot of beans. No pork goes to waste here!

Attachments

• 2.5 hour ribs.pdf
    176.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Memphis Dust.pdf
    365.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce.pdf
    239.8 KB · Views: 67
Now you made me hungry for beef.

Looking at the Smith's/Kroeger ad. They've got Choice whole brisket for $2.99/lb. I see some corned beef, pastrami and great burger meat in the near future.

Went out earlier and picked a few tomatoes. Sliced, salt & peppered and got them in the fridge. Wife baked a couple loaves of bread and picked some lettuce. First BLTs of the year for supper.

Got a 13.5 lb. brisket. The butcher (breaker in wholesale jargon) must have been drunk when he did the primal cut. A couple of deep cuts through the point and well into the flat. Other than that, it was a nice piece of bull. Managed to get a 4+ lb. slab of flat for pastrami and about 5.5 lbs. of 80/20 burger meat. I see some smash/pastrami burgers in the future.

Thanks for sharing the rub and bbq recipes Bob! The ingredients are very familiar, but the combinations and amounts are very helpful. I usually wing it and include brown sugar with pork and more chili powder and other spices with beef. How do you stay so slim...? :rolleyes:

Before noticing the "roll eyes emoji", I was about to call Lisa and tell her you needed some serious help. OTOH, I have lost a few pounds, but not nearly enough to be considered slim by any stretch of even the most demented imagination :)

Sorry no pic... Spatchocked a chicken last night and brined it overnight. Gave it a Creole rub (absent the salt) thanks to Bob’s recipe! Corn OTC and Caesar salads. Nice!

Don't ask me why I included salt in that recipe. I always pre salt or dry brine, so don't include salt in any of my rubs or seasoning mixes. Hope you enjoy the chicken.

Wife did spaghetti and home made meat balls for supper tonight, I had her make up an extra dozen meat balls and grilled up some moinks for tomorrow. Doing a couple slabs of ribs, potato salad (my favorite recipe below), moinks, ABTs and sweet corn. We're social distancing, so there goes the 8 lbs. I lost :)
Discovered we're out of BBQ sauce, so will be doing up a gallon while the ribs cook.

Attachments

• Potato Salad.pdf
    306.4 KB · Views: 62
Wife did spaghetti and home made meat balls for supper tonight, I had her make up an extra dozen meat balls and grilled up some moinks for tomorrow. Doing a couple slabs of ribs, potato salad (my favorite recipe below), moinks, ABTs and sweet corn. We're social distancing, so there goes the 8 lbs. I lost :)
Discovered we're out of BBQ sauce, so will be doing up a gallon while the ribs cook.
Sounds like a great feast!
I made up a mean batch of chicken noodle soup today and will be doing spare ribs and bean tomorrow. Wish I'd thought of moinks. They're always a hit. I made up a half gallon of bbq sauce a few days ago, and some Carolina mustard sauce also.

My wife loves Carolina Mustard sauce. I make a quart every couple of years for her, but usually go through a gallon or more a year of my sweet & spicy sauce. Hope you & your family have a great Independence Day in remembering what it's all about as the idiots among us display their ignorance.

BTW, opened the Single Barrel Evan Williams today. Absolutely great whiskey.

Back