Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Cut a couple of 2# chunks off of a pork shoulder and have them dry brining for buckboard bacon that I'll be smoking with hickory and apple next weekend. Will have some ripe tomatoes by then, so BLTs are on the upcoming menu. Will be sure to have a fresh baked loaf of sourdough, so everything but the lettuce and mayo will be home grown or home made.

View attachment 10508

Been curing for 11 days. Rinsed, soaked, patted dry and ready to get some love from Hickory and Apple.
Ready.jpg

Got the Big Chief heating up fight now.
Smoker.jpg

OK that looks amazing.

Been curing for 11 days. Rinsed, soaked, patted dry and ready to get some love from Hickory and Apple.
View attachment 10605

Got the Big Chief heating up fight now.
View attachment 10606

Smoked for 2 hours at 170 F and then transferred to the Traeger and finished to at 225 to internal temperature of 155 F.
Bacon.jpg

Sitting in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. Will post a pic after slicing in the morning. This should make some great BLTs. Have some ripe tomatoes to pick and the wife has some homegrown lettuce too.

Looks good. Nice to keep the heat out of the house on hot days too.

Our heat wave is over. Only got into the mid 70s today. Back to normal temperatures for the foreseeable future.
Are you high desert there Bob?

Are you high desert there Bob?

Not as high as you are. We're just under 4,000 ft. Definitely desert, but a heavily irrigated ag area. Lots of dairies and feed crops. Fallon is called the Oasis of Nevada.

Hope you gents got that meat from the freezer. The prices we are seeing in the store recently would scare a buzzard off a shit wagon. Going to Costco soon and not feeling the meat price love. Nice eats btw!

Hope you gents got that meat from the freezer. The prices we are seeing in the store recently would scare a buzzard off a shit wagon. Going to Costco soon and not feeling the meat price love. Nice eats btw!
We did buy the wings, but we do a half of beef every year so the freezer is always stocked.
My wife's parents are still cattle ranchers so we split one every year with another sibling and pay for the processing.
I've got plenty of room for a hog or two, but haven't taken that on just because of all the other animals we have and haven't felt like taking on more.

Really. We've been getting some great deals on pork and chicken around here. Just stocked up on spare ribs at $ .99/lb. and chicken leg quarters at $ .49/lb. Prices on beef are up a bit, but nothing outrageous. We'll leave the light on for ya :)

At this point I think Bob is just bucking for new house mates.

We did buy the wings, but we do a half of beef every year so the freezer is always stocked.
My wife's parents are still cattle ranchers so we split one every year with another sibling and pay for the processing.
I've got plenty of room for a hog or two, but haven't taken that on just because of all the other animals we have and haven't felt like taking on more.
We had cattle for years and switched to hay about 10 years ago. I could put a couple steers in a small pasture but would have to get the fences cleaned up. IDK...

Really. We've been getting some great deals on pork and chicken around here. Just stocked up on spare ribs at $ .99/lb. and chicken leg quarters at $ .49/lb. Prices on beef are up a bit, but nothing outrageous. We'll leave the light on for ya :)
I don’t think I could shoot sage rats at that price.

Smoked for 2 hours at 170 F and then transferred to the Traeger and finished to at 225 to internal temperature of 155 F.
View attachment 10612
Sitting in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. Will post a pic after slicing in the morning. This should make some great BLTs. Have some ripe tomatoes to pick and the wife has some homegrown lettuce too.

Got the buckboard bacon sliced this morning. Here's a shot of the leaner part:
Buckboard Bacon.jpg

Fried up a couple slices. Just slightly on the hammy side, but a nice smoke flavor. Thinking it'll be great in BLTs later.

Frying.jpg

Back