Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Yogurt mint chutney on lamb curry:

2021-02-14 18.31.02.jpg

Looks great, and a good warmer for a cold evening.

Just finished trimming up a brisket and getting it in brine, Lopped about 2 lbs. of the thin flat off and will grind it for burgers. The rest (~7 lbs.) will be corned beef for St. Pat's Day. I'll be smoking it for about 3 hours and then braising for a couple more before adding the veggies to cook in the liquid. No spuds, because the wife does an Irish dish called Colcannon. It's mashed spuds mixed with cabbage that's been sautéed with bacon and onions.
Start.jpg

Done.jpg

Not your average Irish blend comfort food. This in goooooooooooooood !

I'm ready for the end result.

I did my 1st corned beef a couple weeks back. I didn't smoke as the weather was not cooperating. I pressure cooked it in the instant pot with a couple cups of beer and some bay, pepper, mustard, and coriander thrown in. It turned out great!

I'm ready for the end result.

I did my 1st corned beef a couple weeks back. I didn't smoke as the weather was not cooperating. I pressure cooked it in the instant pot with a couple cups of beer and some bay, pepper, mustard, and coriander thrown in. It turned out great!

Did you dry brine, or wet?

I've pretty much adapted my recipes to wet brining, since buying a pound of Prague Powder #1, and cut down on the salt too. Saves a lot of rinsing & soaking time.

Beef ribs ;)

Marinated in a homemade chili sauce. With later on some soy spritzed on them.

On the wsm
IMG_20210319_161813.jpg

Almost done
IMG_20210319_190929.jpg

Left some on low heat going throughout the night. And no, they didn't burn!
They are very dry, but I actually really like them like that.
IMG_20210320_065304.jpg

Back