Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Looks great. After sealing I usually toss it in the bottom drawer of the fridge and forget about it for a month or more. Morton's says 7 days per inch thickness IIRC, so mine is overkill. Let me know how it turns out.
Really? So I can leave it longer then? My brisket isn't thick at all. Inch probably at it's thickest.

Sealed with Tender quick and refrigerated, it'll last a loooooong time. Just give it a good rinse and soak before you smoke it or it may taste like a salt lick.

Really? So I can leave it longer then? My brisket isn't thick at all. Inch probably at it's thickest.
The elk i did with this recipe was 2 inches thick and if i remember correctly at 2wks it was cured evenly clear through. I couldn't leave it alone had to turn it every day. Not as patient as bob!

Was going to go out and clean my pellet grill today, but woke up to something a little colder than I feel like braving today.
Brrrrr.jpg

Ahhh, Saskatchewan, flatter than piss on a plate! It is good to have cruise control if you are driving through Saskatchewan! You never pass anything that gives you any sense of how fast you are going...

Ahhh, Saskatchewan, flatter than piss on a plate! It is good to have cruise control if you are driving through Saskatchewan! You never pass anything that gives you any sense of how fast you are going...

Canada's version of Kansas, only bigger :)

@BOB357 getting ready to fire up the barrel and put my 1st ever pastrami on. I don't keep ground coriander around so I'm thinking about toasting up a bit in a pan and just grinding it with a rolling pin. Do you apply a pretty heavy coat of seasoning before smoking?
I've been soaking and rinsing the meat for a couple hours now. Any last minute suggestions before I dive in?

@BOB357 getting ready to fire up the barrel and put my 1st ever pastrami on. I don't keep ground coriander around so I'm thinking about toasting up a bit in a pan and just grinding it with a rolling pin. Do you apply a pretty heavy coat of seasoning before smoking?
I've been soaking and rinsing the meat for a couple hours now. Any last minute suggestions before I dive in?

In the absence of a mortar & pestle, the rolling pin should be fine. For the first few years, I only used coarse ground black pepper.
IIRC, you said it was only ~ 1" thick. For that thin I'd apply a moderate amount on one side only. Sounds like you're good to go.

This recipe produces a lunch meat type pastrami. For deli sandwiches, I steam a few slices, but it's good either way.

In the absence of a mortar & pestle, the rolling pin should be fine. For the first few years, I only used coarse ground black pepper.
IIRC, you said it was only ~ 1" thick. For that thin I'd apply a moderate amount on one side only. Sounds like you're good to go.

This recipe produces a lunch meat type pastrami. For deli sandwiches, I steam a few slices, but it's good either way.

I knew there had to be a reason we are so warm here today... wind...

Currently waiting for venison to thaw out so we can finish grinding and sausage making. 45#s of venison, 15#s of pork and 9#s of bacon ends and pieces. Will grind 30#s of meat with 3#s of bacon for burger then the rest will be german weiners and kielbasa using High Country seasonings and the treager.

My 1st pastrami is done. I steamed and cooled this morning and just got done cutting it up. Not bad for my 1st go at it. In the next round I think I'll need to pay a bit more attention to the amount of brine per pound. It's a tad salty and I think I would like to bump the spice up some. Turned out great though!
PXL_20210131_194436195.jpg
PXL_20210131_194431749.jpg

Looks good!

You need to use the prescribed amount of Tender Quick to be safe. Just soak longer and drain the water periodically to tone down the saltiness. Outside of that, there's no problem with adjusting the spices to taste. As a side note, if you tasted an end piece, it will always be saltier.

Looks good!

You need to use the prescribed amount of Tender Quick to be safe. Just soak longer and drain the water periodically to tone down the saltiness. Outside of that, there's no problem with adjusting the spices to taste. As a side note, if you tasted an end piece, it will always be saltier.
It seems a bit less salty today. I typically eat pretty clean during the week with very minimal salt in my diet at most times so I notice it more now. Everyone loves it though and it is really good. I have an English cut roast I may do with it next. Probably not "pastrami" but not my favorite cut and worth a shot I guess.

It seems a bit less salty today. I typically eat pretty clean during the week with very minimal salt in my diet at most times so I notice it more now. Everyone loves it though and it is really good. I have an English cut roast I may do with it next. Probably not "pastrami" but not my favorite cut and worth a shot I guess.

I've used eye of round, top and bottom round and tri-tips, all with good results. Just about any fairly lean roast will work. Thicker just means longer curing time.

Back