Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Pretty much the only hams I buy. The bone and skin goes real good in a pot of black-eyed peas. Next up is curing some buckboard bacon. Got a 10 lb. shoulder for that. Gotta be ready when the tomatoes start ripening.

Some chicken thighs and taters on the grill precious

15917414975472331871080864164578.jpg

Got this going on today. Copying a souis vide water bath then grill at the end first time so totally green.
20200620_103411.jpg

It's a half beef rib. Seasoning is salt pepper mixed smoked paprika garlic powder mustard powder chilly powder brown sugar and fresh rosemary.
20200620_103333.jpg
wrapped it in the alfoil I seasoned it with and also to keep it from getting spoiled by the ziplock bag.
I don't have cryovack stuff so squeezed air out of ziplock bag best I could.
20200620_103323.jpg
set the slow cooker up controlled via STC have temp set at 69c will leave this untill this evening then give it a grill in the oven.

Will report back.
Anyone else try this style cooking?
I'd love to know more cheers!

I totally butchered it!
20200620_182454.jpg

When I pulled the bag out of the slow cooker before grilling water had leaked into it.
I rekon this broiled it instead of doing whatever the souis vide was supposed to do.

Anyhow it was tough as all buggery I'll cook it low and slow in the oven next time or just ina thick sauce in its own juices next time.

Those zip locks don't do well with anything hot. Look on the bright side. Your jaws will get a workout while you're eating :)

Looks good anyway! Doesn't look like it could have been to terrible.
If the meat was tough, my guess is that it needed more time for all the collagen to break down. Dino bones aka beef ribs take a loooong time for break down.
If water entered the bag you'd technically be braising, which is still an excellent cooking method for tough cuts.

Broiling is a dry cooking method with the heat coming from above. Can't happen in a crock pot.

You need more time. Around 160-180f, is where the break down happens. This stall can last for hours on end. I've had the stall happen for 6 or more hours.

I don't really get water cooking so I'll stick with the smoker I picked up in April. It's something called Traeger Tailgater and while it was pricey I'm pretty chuffed with the outcome of it.

upload_2020-6-20_13-18-20.png

Looks good anyway! Doesn't look like it could have been to terrible.
If the meat was tough, my guess is that it needed more time for all the collagen to break down. Dino bones aka beef ribs take a loooong time for break down.
If water entered the bag you'd technically be braising, which is still an excellent cooking method for tough cuts.

Broiling is a dry cooking method with the heat coming from above. Can't happen in a crock pot.

You need more time. Around 160-180f, is where the break down happens. This stall can last for hours on end. I've had the stall happen for 6 or more hours.
Ah thankyou yeah the YouTube video I watched old mate dusted with spices put in cryo bag sucked all the air out then souis vide on 69c 24hours. I probably went 7-8.
Put it on in the morning then after brew day and not enough beer i grilled 200c prob half hour the tough jawed it dogs getting what i couldn't handle lol

I'm thinking next time I'll just make a thick sauce and put it in the slow cook crock pot and control the heat to 70ish but go longer.
I'll put alfoil under the lid to bind it up nice and tight.

Once it hit 69c every time i checked in on it it was off so tucked up inside the esky was.good.

I'm thinking next time I'll just make a thick sauce and put it in the slow cook crock pot and control the heat to 70ish but go longer.
I'll put alfoil under the lid to bind it up nice and tight.

Once it hit 69c every time i checked in on it it was off so tucked up inside the esky was.good.
I've given mine some smoke before for a few hours, and then put in the crock and cooked em up. They turn out great!

I've given mine some smoke before for a few hours, and then put in the crock and cooked em up. They turn out great!
The one I've got is a cheepy and just cooks the crap out of whatever I put in it so rekon that temp controller will keep things regulated next time will def give it another crack.

Got this going on today. Copying a souis vide water bath then grill at the end first time so totally green.
View attachment 10477
It's a half beef rib. Seasoning is salt pepper mixed smoked paprika garlic powder mustard powder chilly powder brown sugar and fresh rosemary.View attachment 10478wrapped it in the alfoil I seasoned it with and also to keep it from getting spoiled by the ziplock bag.
I don't have cryovack stuff so squeezed air out of ziplock bag best I could.
View attachment 10479 set the slow cooker up controlled via STC have temp set at 69c will leave this untill this evening then give it a grill in the oven.

Will report back.
Anyone else try this style cooking?
I'd love to know more cheers!
I like the idea of controlling the temperature, those crock pots usually just have HI or LO

Cut a couple of 2# chunks off of a pork shoulder and have them dry brining for buckboard bacon that I'll be smoking with hickory and apple next weekend. Will have some ripe tomatoes by then, so BLTs are on the upcoming menu. Will be sure to have a fresh baked loaf of sourdough, so everything but the lettuce and mayo will be home grown or home made.

Bacon.jpg

Back