Home brew re supply

Oki doki then Too all that may be interested in how me home brew resupply whent here is a quick list run down of what I ended up getting after all.

25kg Dingermans Pilsner Malt
3kg Vienna Joe White
2kg Munich 1 (light) wayermann
1.5 kg Carapils Dextrine Briess
1kg Accidulated Malt Weyermann
1kg Carahell Malt Weyermann
500g Belgian Special B
All the ingredients for Stikks Vienna cream ale

For Hops I got
200g magnum
100g Hellertau Mf
100g CZ Sazz
100 Cascade American.

And yep I'm already busy this arvo mashing in me first steam lager thanks Ja putting it to the test this brew.
4 kg Belgian - Pilsner 37 1.6 77.4%
0.07 kg Belgian - Special B 34 115 1.4%
0.25 kg American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 4.8%
0.3 kg German - Munich Light 37 6 5.8%
0.35 kg German - CaraHell 34 11 6.8%
0.2 kg German - Acidulated Malt 27 3.4 3.9%
5.17 kg Total
Hopped with magnum and Hellertau Mf to 20ibu
Just made this one up on the spot. Probably shoddy.

Oki doki then Too all that may be interested in how me home brew resupply whent here is a quick list run down of what I ended up getting after all.

25kg Dingermans Pilsner Malt
3kg Vienna Joe White
2kg Munich 1 (light) wayermann
1.5 kg Carapils Dextrine Briess
1kg Accidulated Malt Weyermann
1kg Carahell Malt Weyermann
500g Belgian Special B
All the ingredients for Stikks Vienna cream ale

For Hops I got
200g magnum
100g Hellertau Mf
100g CZ Sazz
100 Cascade American.

And yep I'm already busy this arvo mashing in me first steam lager thanks Ja putting it to the test this brew.
5.17 kg Total
Just made this one up on the spot. Probably shoddy.
Seeing as few different potential brews there , should make some pretty tasty summer brews mate , how you going for yeast ?
worth the trip up to Hervey bay ? I dealt with them years ago when living in Bundaberg , was kit and extract only then but they knew their stuff

Martin Potter is the brew Guru there unfortunately he was away on a home brew competition in Brissy when I went up there this weekend spewing. So I got his missus I think she still held her own in the malt dipartment but a few conflicting views upon which malt in which brew and how much hey who am I to argue. The beer is the beautiful truth. Yep I'm fully stoked brewing atom just about at 60 min mark on my first of many batches with this pills malt. I don't know how to load the recipes but it's names Steam L 1 in recipe section under fest beer it think. Anyhow yep they are top notch up in Harvey bay these days I herd a bloke even came all the way from Darwin to grab some of their malt. great prices and over A hundred different malts to choose from I really was a kid in a candy shop well worth the trip.

Yeasts in reserve
Fermentis 34/70
Us05
K97 German ale
Wlp090

All top cropped or saved from starter as per brulosopher.

Last edited:
mind if i come over ? ;) better set than i am champ !
just starting boil on a Rye golden ale / XPA i call Crye baby but got carried away on sparge so now have a full kettle so too chicken to add hops just yet .... 90 min boil now i guess

That's my sparge set up. Raise bag above brew kettle then just dip measuring cup into pre heated 76c sparse water whilst kettle is ramping to boil. Chilling now my water temp is 22 so I'll probably get 25 is then set temp to17 for my 34/70 steam lager mash temp crossing fingers I process :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    744 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Moctoberfest photo brulosopher tastes good 14 days old still got a bit of clearing up to do but drinkable at 2 weeks post ferment

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    882 KB · Views: 186
My FG is looking pretty average for this brew atm around 1.046 let us know how you go with your 90 min boil extra caramelisation and sugar should boost your FG numbers. Used to boil for 90 with pils malt but brulosophers Mithbusted this one I guess I'll find out if I taste buttery flavours In this brew my brew house is suffering ha ha

Boil SG came in at 1.063
i adjust my hop additions to suit smaller boils
longer boil was just to reduce volume , flameout in a few so whilfloc about due ....
i only do 90 min boils on pilsners / lagers so i won't argue with Martin

Cheers mines in ferment chamber I got it down to 25c will drop that down to 17c don't know if I'll pitch when about 20 and let the temp drop to ferment temperature or I wait till morning,and pitch at nice cool Temp 12c that's for 34/70 I've got a starter spinning which I started ast biginning of brew sesh about 5 hours ago what ya reckon pirate

Nice beefy gravity there what was your grain bill 6kg that's some good efficiency hay? I milled my own grain for first time today as you know I got un milled grain. I used my thermomix and smashed up the grains but not enough by my efficiency I biab brew so no stuck spare issue. Hope your brew goes to plan mate. About 70 efficiency for me I'm happy with that.

my higher pre boil gravity comes at a cost . !
it's only a small pot for now , total grain bill came in at 4.9 kg yielding a pre boil volume of 20.5 litres .
Having a higher SG in my boil means i use more hops to reach required IBU and then dilute it in FV to the 23L in my recipe .
my overall brewhouse figures are around 72-74 % on average , i could chase higher numbers by allowing more crap into FV but happy with consistent for now .

Not used 34/70 yet so anything i say would be hearsay , some brewers i respect swear by pitching cold , decanted starters into warm wort ... i normally try to keep my starter and wort temps within a few degrees C

I chill my lagers to around 74°F and sprinkle the 34/70 yeast into the wort. Then I put the carboy in my fern chamber set to 55°F. I haven't rehydrated dry yeast in decades.

5.17 kg Total

Just a thought, but I imagine that your CaraHell and Carapils may be somewhat similar and just a bit redundant. My guess is that you could probably reduce the amount of Carapils when you're using the Carahell. My LHBS doesn't stock the Carahell, but it's something that I've wanted to try.
Good luck with the brew!! :)

Carapils and Carahell I see Weyermann does a carafoam too. Well i was looking on the malt speck sheet and the description to Carahell sounded good I had a chew on some,and it was nice and caramelie. Well i shouldn't have any head retention problems with this brew ha ha;)

Reactions: J A
Sounds tasty ! With a modest amount of crystal like you have it'll hold head and retain enough mouthfeel even if you get a nice attenuation .
What mash temp do you run ?

I went 57c for 20 min protein rest. Then 63c for 40 min 68c for 20 min then mash out 76c boiled for 60. Probably a lot of mucking around for nothing with the steps but it's easy to do biab styl just lift the bag and hit the flame for awhile then let it rest. Then repeat process till mash out and if ya want to sparge lift the bag clear of kettle and sparge in pre heated water to pre boil volume.

The steps you have are similar to mine , not much different from the classic German step profile.

You should find you get a nice dry , crisp finish due to a very fermentable wort .
in most of my my ales i only use a single temp infusion of 66 C to boost the mouthfeel without adding spec / crystal malts .

When i need a dry finishing beer ( coopers clones ect ) or i'm feeling lazy or in a rush i shorten the first rest to 5-10 mins since nearly all the malts here are highly modified , if what you're doing is working and you like drinking it then keep at it !

Beer is so bloody subjective ! i gave a beer i thought was a cracker to an old boy i know , he called it wanky ! he does Coopers Pale cans with a kilo of sugar fermented at whatever the season is and thinks his is better than mine , summer ones taste like paint thinner

Beer is the beautiful truth time will tell! Ah he don't know a descent brew when it smacks him in the lips. So,many Aussie brews are just chilled horse piss take xxxx gold for instance sorry to any fans but it's pretty bland and people drink case by case of it never changing beers. life's to short to drink cheap Piss!

Beer is the beautiful truth time will tell! Ah he don't know a descent brew when it smacks him in the lips. So,many Aussie brews are just chilled horse piss take xxxx gold for instance sorry to any fans but it's pretty bland and people drink case by case of it never changing beers. life's to short to drink cheap Piss!

It's called XXXX cause they forgot how to spell beer !
Down here i see guys swearing West end is better than Coopers , one is a mass produced enzyme loaded "lager" with loads of cane sugar ... i drink the other one ! All malt bottle conditioned ale and still about the only large scale brewer owned by Aussies !
Have you seen the new Carlton "pale ale " ? they throw some late cascade / amarillo hops at a shite beer and expect me to drink it ?
** For our US cousins Coopers trade as Mr Beer there in the DIY kit beer sector **

Last time i was in the US the bulk of the mass produced stuff was about as bad as ours, i was in LA and the craft beer scene there and in SF was just f&*(ing AMAZING , look at the influence the American pale ale has had on what Aussies are drinking now in the craft beer scene .

Back