Home brew re supply

I use both GP and MO in my Rye house beer , all US /Aussie hops and it works wonderfully
20 % each of rye and Munich light and 55-57 % of the base malt other 3-5% is a secret :)
Notty is a great yeast , very clean but can strip hop aroma
Would you recommend fermentis s04 yeast ?

I've been amusing over some other specialty grains on the homebrew list
One is wayermann caraamber malt.
Other is Gladfield Toffee malt both lightish 30lovibond caramel type malts they sound yummie probably cus I haven't had sugar in over a week:p. I've been a craving a malty beer you see!
Will probably make some of my own roasted crystal malts from the marris otter.
I'm going to get some best malZ Red X having a crack at a MO red ale will be interesting.

Now hops
Going to try Galaxy I've been wanting to for some time.
Equinox not spelt the same now. It sounds like a big bold hop
Rakau NZ hop pine needles and tropical fruit. Mmmm yum
Wai-iti another NZ hop citrus mandarin lemon lime

How far ahead are you brewing ?
Galaxy is great as a late addition / 2 day dry hop as gives a fantastic passionfruit flavour but as a bittering addition can be pretty harsh .

I went halves in a few pounds from the States , got some jarrylo I'm keen to try out
Few other high AA% for bittering and some perle for kicks
Columbus and summit are going to make up my bittering for a while

Hey Ben, you read about Nelson sauvin? Kind of a white wine taste to it. Made a simple pale ale with 50/50 2row and Vienna malt to showcase the hop

@Mark D Pirate yea Im using my left over magnum to bitter with I've probably got over 100g of this so will last some time so won't use Galaxy in long boil thanks for the tip btw;). Also some of them kiwi hops are duel purpose and quite high AA so might throw one of them in as FWH.
As far as brews ahead I'm thinking just smashing the mo first with some Fuggles I've got left over should be all English then. Was also going to pick Ozarks brain on how his GP/Red X brew goes and probably mirror that with the MO. From there it's hop exploring and working out a good balanced malt bill using the caramel malts I'm getting and with some home roasted malts:p.

@jmcnamara ive done a smash using Golden Promise and nelson savion before and wasn't crazy impressed I like this hop better when paired with another. The homebrew store does have a fresh 2016 limited stock in so maybe I should snatch some up to pair with some of these other NZ hops;).

the Red X grain is just 2-row kilned to a slightly red hue, you need at least 25% for it to change the color and is 100% fermentable. The taste is no different than a good pale malt so use as much or as little as you want

the Red X grain is just 2-row kilned to a slightly red hue, you need at least 25% for it to change the color and is 100% fermentable. The taste is no different than a good pale malt so use as much or as little as you want
What was your percentages with your Golden Pomise to Red X Ozarks?
I'm thinking if I went 50/50 it'd be too much Marris otter

Thanks Ozarks. I've been reading around on other forum and I hear reports of this malt being a little sweet and malty what's your take? Sounds like a nice malt to mix with wheat.

Ok so if I based this on 70%MO 25% red X and 5% caraamber. That caraamber should also contribute to the red hue

I mashed my red at a lower temp like 149 and the beer turned out great, I like a malty beer and it was a hit with the family

2 thingsister after a quick look.

Is there a reason you didn't pick the red ale style? I think it's set to a bitters or something like that.
The little beer glass doesn't seem too red. Do you have access to some roasted barley for more color (cap the mash). Or maybe increase the red x and lower the pilsner?

Yea I couldn't find the red beer catagory it's in Irish ale or Irish / Scottish ale .
Yea she doesn't look too red in the colour scheme I've flipped it round now with near 70% red X and 20% MO I suppose I'll be pissed if I end up brewing it and it turns out orange ha ha :D

all of my beers are darker than this websites predictions, i guess its interpretation of how you look at it, through direct light or not or in the carboy, it all looks different than in a small glass in the light

Yea I couldn't find the red beer catagory it's in Irish ale or Irish / Scottish ale .
Yea she doesn't look too red in the colour scheme I've flipped it round now with near 70% red X and 20% MO I suppose I'll be pissed if I end up brewing it and it turns out orange ha ha :D
Haha, I've seen beers with carrots in the mash (and dried oak leaves) so you might not be too far off

So got some more Grain for the up coming year of brewing

A bag of Bairds Pale Ale malt (anyone used this grain before)?
A bag of best malZ Pilsner malt.
5 kg wheat malt
5kg Vienna
2kg caramunich 2 will be brewing crunks helles.
1kg rye malt looking forward to some of this to season me pales

Anyone else stocking up for the new year?

I store my grain at the LHBS. I believe I’ll be making a small withdrawal tomorrow! Gotta get in another last brew of the year.

I store my grain at the LHBS. I believe I’ll be making a small withdrawal tomorrow! Gotta get in another last brew of the year.
I would too if i didnt need to drive over an hour to get it....

Back