Home brew re supply

Thankfully

Credit where credit is due, I lifted that from an old Monty python skit. At least beer has changed in the 40 or 50 years since

its strange I thought it was an age thing but my best friend still prefers bud light and he's younger than me by 3 years so I'm thinking its a class thing, corporate vs working class change faster towards new fads o_O

Last edited:
Nope , Carlton Pale Ale ( the may not have released it in Qld yet )
it's not offensive as a beer , might help megaswill drinkers realise that beer doesnt have to be boring but it's not an Ale and shouldn't labeled as one
Sounds like xxxx have done the same up here. I've had a crack at their pale ale I do prefer it over the lager more flavour not as bland and tasteless horse piss like the lager version. I guess these beers the world over are a product of mass production and cost cutting.

I'm about as blue collar as it gets , I'm literally wearing hi vis and a blue collar now and I just want beer that tastes like beer
Not to be too philosophical on ya but therin lies the answer to brew your own beer! I think that's what gets a lot of us into home brewing apart from saving $ but to brew something that ain't available in the local liquor store and because apart from the drinking side a things it's a pretty interesting hobby.

There's a few decent local breweries around here , Adelaide might be 25 years behind most of the developed world but tasty beer is catching on here ...i liked it before it was cool though
also no beard and no ironic tattoos here like so many of the guys i see hanging around drinking craft beer .... jeez i dislike hipsters

There's a few decent local breweries around here , Adelaide might be 25 years behind most of the developed world but tasty beer is catching on here ...i liked it before it was cool though
also no beard and no ironic tattoos here like so many of the guys i see hanging around drinking craft beer .... jeez i dislike hipsters
See y got some wild weather down your way there Mark forecast for worst weather in hundred years

Bad enough to send us back to dark ages , area 3 times size of Germany without power ....whole bloody state without power ! That includes international airport and a few hospitals ....my brewfridge is also off

Bad enough to send us back to dark ages , area 3 times size of Germany without power ....whole bloody state without power ! That includes international airport and a few hospitals ....my brewfridge is also off
Noo! I herd on radio up here today apparently we're getting some tomorrow but I'm thinking just the edge of it nothing like your getting stay safe

As a far north qld boy , they panic with more than 100 mm of rain or wind gusts over 100 km/h here.....jeeeeez I have built to withstand nearly 3 times that !
Anyway , I have cold beer ,books and I'm warm and dry :) life could be far worse

Ha ha yep got ya lived in Darwin for couple of years now they celebrate cyclones :p. Everything's about to get flattened lets party! Crazy ha ha

Gday it's time for me to get another sack of malt.
I've got two in mind Marris Otter or Golden Promise.
I was fairly convinced upon getting some golden promise till I reaserched marris otter and liked the sound,of this malt see below . From northern Brewer website.

Finest malts from the British Isles. Maris Otter is an English 2-row varietal barley introduced in 1966 that was developed specifically to produce high quality malt for the production of ale. Its low nitrogen content, uniformly plump kernels, and robust husk has made it a favorite among English brewers for its reliable and forgiving brewhouse performance, and, most notably, because of the unique Maris Otter flavor it adds to the beer which may be absent in modern barley varieties grown for yield and ease of agricultural production. This fine base malt will easily convert with a single infusion mash, and produce an orange tinged golden wort with a unique rich, slightly nutty flavor. An excellent malt for any English style beer. 3.5-4.5°L

What are everyone's thoughts and experiences with this malt?
I'm guessing English hops are best accompanied with this malt too. I'm thinking of getting some of that Nottingham yeast as well.

Well looking forward to your feed back everyone cheers!

I'm working on a sack of MO now. Used it in a Porter and an ESB. Faucets highly recommend

I'm working on a sack of MO now. Used it in a Porter and an ESB. Faucets highly recommend
Ah looks like national homebrew do Simpsons $70 per sack golden promise is more at 74 I thought it'd be the other way around

Some forums I've read that it gives their pale ales that extra edge. Well I'll know enough about this malt after a whole sack full :p.

With the hops you don't necessarily need to stick to the English strains eh? I've been wanting to try some new kiwi hops out I see my hombrew store stocks

I use both GP and MO in my Rye house beer , all US /Aussie hops and it works wonderfully
20 % each of rye and Munich light and 55-57 % of the base malt other 3-5% is a secret :)
Notty is a great yeast , very clean but can strip hop aroma

Back