What's your next brew

I’ll be brewing a Hobgoblin from a BYO recipe. Will be swapping the chocolate for pale chocolate since that’s what i have. I’ll pitch a whole pack of yeast and use the massive amount of slurry for 3 more british style beers. Then off to a new yeast for 3 brews.

That one needs to be on my future beer list. Current next brew is Janet's Brown Ale. Work kept me from brewing it for last Saturday's Big Brew Day. It's been too long since I brewed that one.

@BarbarianBrewer , I picked up a Northern Brewer kit for Janet's Brown Ale. It came with a pound of corn sugar . The steps call fot adding the whole pound to the mash, the written dirrections say to add one half a pound. I was thinking of not add it at all. What is your method?

@BarbarianBrewer , I picked up a Northern Brewer kit for Janet's Brown Ale. It came with a pound of corn sugar . The steps call fot adding the whole pound to the mash, the written dirrections say to add one half a pound. I was thinking of not add it at all. What is your method?
That pound of corn sugar is to make the bigger 7.4% abv beer. My understanding is the Janet’s Brown Ale can be brewed to a more sessionable 6.6% abv by leaving out the corn sugar.

On the topic of my next beer, I too have Janet’s Brown Ale in mind. It was supposed to be a brew day last Saturday, but life led me astray. There is a need around here for my Amber Ale as well, the one that I know I can brew. We’ll see what Ibrew next Monday.

Last edited:
That pound of corn sugar is to make the bigger 7.4% abv beer. My understanding is the Janet’s Brown Ale can be brewed to a more sessionable 6.6% abv by leaving out the corn sugar.

On the topic of my next beer, I too have Janet’s Brown Ale in mind. It was supposed to be a brew day last Saturday, but life led me astray. There is a need around here for my Amber Ale as well, the one that I know I can brew. We’ll see what Ibrew next Monday.
That wasn't part of the big brew day may 1st?
I woulda if I'd had more notice but hadn't herd nothing about it till the Brewersfriend newsletter.

I’ll be brewing a Hobgoblin from a BYO recipe. Will be swapping the chocolate for pale chocolate since that’s what i have. I’ll pitch a whole pack of yeast and use the massive amount of slurry for 3 more british style beers. Then off to a new yeast for 3 brews.
You'll most likely enjoy the substitution. I tend to prefer pale chocolate myself, unfortunately for me the "on-hand" is the other way around so I'll be pushing to use up my chocolate malt before picking up some pale chocolate...

That wasn't part of the big brew day may 1st?
I woulda if I'd had more notice but hadn't herd nothing about it till the Brewersfriend newsletter.
Brewer'sFriend newsletter? How have I been missing this?

You'll most likely enjoy the substitution. I tend to prefer pale chocolate myself, unfortunately for me the "on-hand" is the other way around so I'll be pushing to use up my chocolate malt before picking up some pale chocolate...
I’ve heard good things but not used before. I did use it in a Milk Stout that is conditioning now but other than a sample I haven’t tasted it.

I got this recipe from Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff & Palmer. The book contains an extract version as well. As @Herm_brews said, the sugar is probably just to boost ABV and maybe thin the body. But, I think the recipe is perfect as it is. I know some breweries brew their version of Janet's Brown Ale, so may be the recipe Northern Brewer is using is from one of them.

Last edited:
This was the big brew day one.

Might have a crack at this after the Saisons.

I also know @Head First has brewed it pretty regularly he'd had a pretty good take on it in sure.

Attachments

• BigBrew21-Janets-Brown-Ale-Recipe.pdf
    157.1 KB · Views: 58
My next two brews are Shady Bohemian and Ale-Ian Redeye. Now I have the makings for the SB I will have a go tomorrow - and it's about time too.
upload_2021-5-5_23-2-16.png
upload_2021-5-5_23-2-42.png

Next up for me is what I call COVID Operation.
Hazy IPA, low bitterness, lactose, dried tangerine peel, and a touch of vanilla at packaging.
Not everyone's cup of beer I know, very popular with the friends and family, it has been requested to be a regular over the summer months.

Next up for me is what I call COVID Operation.
Hazy IPA, low bitterness, lactose, dried tangerine peel, and a touch of vanilla at packaging.
Not everyone's cup of beer I know, very popular with the friends and family, it has been requested to be a regular over the summer months.

I just tried a Tangerine flavoured beer last night - Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine.
Very nice. Not too strong a flavour of Tangerine on their standard IPA.
snapshotimagehandler_42558338.jpeg

I plan on brewing up the Janet's Brown Ale tomorrow. I won't be using the corn sugar.
Milled up the grains today and primed up the Anvil and set it to be ready to drop the grain in as soon as I get my lazy carcass out of the sack.

I just tried a Tangerine flavoured beer last night - Brewdog Clockwork Tangerine.
Very nice. Not too strong a flavour of Tangerine on their standard IPA.
snapshotimagehandler_42558338.jpeg
The dried tangerine peel doesn't actually bring any real tangerine flavor in my opinion.

Well with Shore Leave in the fermenter, think I'll line up the Bohemians for my next 3(unless something comes up in between them). So it'll be (1)Dirty Bohemian, (2)Kiss My Czech..., (3)Shady Bohemian...still have that red IPA recipe to work in somewhere, probably do a small batch test run on that.

This weekend I plan to brew Janet's Brown Ale. I normally brew this with Wyeast 1056 American Ale but, this time I think I'll try Fermentis US-05. The yeast calculator says to use 3 packets at the Pro Brewer 0.75 pitch rate and 2 packets at the Mfg rate of 0.5 pitch rate. What would you dry yeast guys recommend? This will be a 7.5 gallon, 1.068 OG batch.

This weekend I plan to brew Janet's Brown Ale. I normally brew this with Wyeast 1056 American Ale but, this time I think I'll try Fermentis US-05. The yeast calculator says to use 3 packets at the Pro Brewer 0.75 pitch rate and 2 packets at the Mfg rate of 0.5 pitch rate. What would you dry yeast guys recommend? This will be a 7.5 gallon, 1.068 OG batch.

For what my word is worth, I would go the 2 packets / 7.5 gal. route. It may take a day or two more to work out but I believe US05 is pretty reliable. you then save $5 for the next brew.

Back