What's your next brew

I have to choose from among one of my own IPA recipes, Janet’s Brown Ale, or another batch of Fresh Squeezed IPA (which I am really liking - with 17 bottles left, does that pipeline need filling?).
Does anybody have an opinion on what I should brew?

Well, consider that Summer is almost here. Browns are not as refreshing to some as pales, and IPAs are perhaps more so.

That being said, do you really want to run low on Janet's? I've never tasted it, but you rave about it, and perhaps not having any available might be a disaster.

(Reminds me if a long-ago phone call from my elderly father: "It's a disaster!" "Whaddaya mean Dad, is everything all right?" "No. Mom's out of canned tomatoes." "Dad, that's not really a disaster ..." "An Italian grandmother running out of canned tomatoes IS a disaster! We need help!")

I have to choose from among one of my own IPA recipes, Janet’s Brown Ale, or another batch of Fresh Squeezed IPA (which I am really liking - with 17 bottles left, does that pipeline need filling?).
Does anybody have an opinion on what I should brew?
send some botties, we'll let you know !

Need to get another batch of my low ABV Hazy on the go

To me turmeric tastes like mustard, a flavor I can't abide by in a beer. But ginger? Sure.
Yeah well your not drinking :D!
And hey don't Nock it till ya try it;).
I eat plenty Tumeric I got the stuff comming out my ears it's more earthy to me and a little nutty flavoured but I understand the mustard flavour.
Nothing ventured nothing gained ...

That can be changed. How long would I have to quarantine from usa? I an fully vaxxed with Moderna.

Quantas to the rescue!
Ha! We wouldn't let you in :D:D.
Na bloody Melbourne is back into lockdown for a week. Missus sister and her partner were comming up the Sunny Coast for a holiday this week too poor bugger that's the 4th lockdown. For them:( and she don't mind a craft beer so i was looking forward to drowning them in beer so to speak:).

Well, consider that Summer is almost here. Browns are not as refreshing to some as pales, and IPAs are perhaps more so.

That being said, do you really want to run low on Janet's? I've never tasted it, but you rave about it, and perhaps not having any available might be a disaster.

IPA’s are my favorite beers, no matter the season. My leanings are in that direction.
There isn’t any impending disaster. I have a batch of Herm’s Amber Ale fermenting for another week or two.
Funny thing about Janet’s Brown Ale, I have brewed it exactly twice. My first batch was 1.5 gallons, I skipped the dry hop addition, and I loved that beer. The second batch was 2.5 gallons, fermented with Voss, dry hops added - not my best effort, though I put a sixer away to see if age improves it. I still want to brew JBA again, but maybe in autumn. In my mind, it is a really good beer.

Probably wishful thinking, but I need to brew a batch of Shady Bohemian this weekend, only way it'll be ready on time for the "US Open" if I manage to qualify at the AHA in June...like I said, PROBABLY wishful thinking on my part.
Better prepared than not, Tim. I'm rooting for you. Or for Shady Bo at least...

I brewed my next brew yesterday, my Memorial Day IPA. It was based on “How to make your best IPA” from Craft Beer and Brewing. The results were good, hitting the expected numbers. Sample looked, smelled and tasted good. For this 2.5 gallon batch, I added 11 grams Warrior at 60, 14 grams Simcoe at 5, and 14 grams Amarillo at flame out, then did a hop stand for 20 minutes. The hops were added through a hops spider with a mesh bag, yet I still lost 3 cups of wort to hops sludge. After primary fermentation nearly finishes, I’ll be dry hopping with 14 grams of Citra. For future hoppy beers, it might be prudent to get a finer mesh bag.

I brewed my next brew yesterday, my Memorial Day IPA. It was based on “How to make your best IPA” from Craft Beer and Brewing. The results were good, hitting the expected numbers. Sample looked, smelled and tasted good. For this 2.5 gallon batch, I added 11 grams Warrior at 60, 14 grams Simcoe at 5, and 14 grams Amarillo at flame out, then did a hop stand for 20 minutes. The hops were added through a hops spider with a mesh bag, yet I still lost 3 cups of wort to hops sludge. After primary fermentation nearly finishes, I’ll be dry hopping with 14 grams of Citra. For future hoppy beers, it might be prudent to get a finer mesh bag.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of muslin for hops, especially pelleted hops. They tend to come right through the bags, especially the bittering which is typically the longest boil. I usually double layer muslin to get the last few drops outta the kettle, put that in a strainer to hold it, and slowly pour the losses through that. Cleans up nicely, but a PITA to do with boiling hot liquid.

I have a set from Wilser Bags that have been great. Hop material stays in
the bag, more contact with wort than when I used a spider.

Just brewed an Irish Red Ale - now in the fermenter - and while it was boiling away - part of the wiring melted underneath the kettle!!!
All fixed now and wiring replaced - it was a dry joint on the relay board that forced the neutral feed to start glowing!!! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to tell the wife that I needed to buy a new boiler but like a fool I fixed the old one... Will I never learn?

The next beer will be a NEIPA with Verdant yeast and a ton of hops - Three Legged Dog if you want to look it up - my first NEIPA so looking forward to it.
upload_2021-6-1_20-37-11.png

I use paint strainer bags, they are almost too fine of a mesh. Takes a real good squeeze after the whirlpool/hopstand to extract the trapped wort.

Back