What's your next brew

Makes perfect sense to me. Being retired and on a fixed income, I'm probably overly price conscious. The best ESB I've ever brewed used domestic 2-row. Maybe I have a certain amount of bias because of that too.

Brew on !
View attachment 11691
Betty white would be cool to have a drink with!

How are you finding the Brewzilla working for you? I have done 2 batches and it is not dialed in. It is, however, more convenient than dragging out the propane. I used the preheat timer function....GREAT function.
So far I like it a lot, hoping to get into a good groove with it in the next few batches. Electric sure is convenient, and quiet, and convenient. The timer for preheating is definitely slick. I realize now that my crush must be too fine at 0.031. I am planning to open it up a bit, maybe up to 40thou. Planning to condition my grains before milling as well.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to brew fall seasonal beers, but it's not easy! I'm probably going to do a grapefruit honey ale next since the forecast is still mid 90's through next week, but I've got so many autumn/dark beers on deck that I'm itching to try :)

So far I like it a lot, hoping to get into a good groove with it in the next few batches. Electric sure is convenient, and quiet, and convenient. The timer for preheating is definitely slick. I realize now that my crush must be too fine at 0.031. I am planning to open it up a bit, maybe up to 40thou. Planning to condition my grains before milling as well.
OK that's new to me. What is conditioning grains?

I'm trying to resist the temptation to brew fall seasonal beers, but it's not easy! I'm probably going to do a grapefruit honey ale next since the forecast is still mid 90's through next week, but I've got so many autumn/dark beers on deck that I'm itching to try :)
California has a Fall season????;) One can always develop recipes faster than you can brew them.....

California has a Fall season????;) One can always develop recipes faster than you can brew them.....
Barely! But winter is warm enough to feel like fall :) The leaves are changing and the sunsets are gorgeous (due to wildfire smoke), but it will never feel like fall when it's 85 F lol

OK that's new to me. What is conditioning grains?
Never mind. Of course the explanation is here on Brewer's Friend, duh!:oops:

I've pretty much settled in the low .040s after trying both finer and coarser grinds. Getting reasonable efficiency, am able to recirculate without problems and consistency is good.

I've pretty much settled in the low .040s after trying both finer and coarser grinds. Getting reasonable efficiency, am able to recirculate without problems and consistency is good.
Thanks @BOB357 , I think I will go with 0.042 and condition the grains. Should be getting at it this weekend!

Glad I kept my old mill. Don't need to reset the gap for rye and smaller kernels.

A Hop Hunter like IPA coming up on Sunday or Monday. After that, time to order grain and yeasts for the next 4 batches. An ESB, Pale Ale, Janet's Brown and Something close to Torpedo should get me into December.

Berliner weisse side by side comparison. One batch from a recipe kit, and the other a clone with bought ingredients. It's going to be over 100F again this weekend (no such thing as Fall in Ca :( ) so we're still in the mood for summer crushers. Plus, it'll be great kettle souring weather :)

Dunkelweizen/Dunkles Weissbier/Dunkelweiss

I don’t even know the correct name, I’ve never brewed one and I can’t really remember the last time I had one.
But I love Hefeweizens and a little roast makes everything better, so I’ll give one a go this weekend. Should be interesting.

I don’t even know the correct name, I’ve never brewed one and I can’t really remember the last time I had one.
But I love Hefeweizens and a little roast makes everything better, so I’ll give one a go this weekend. Should be interesting.
All three are correct, actually, even though the last two are contradictions.

Drunken Dunken Uncle Dunkle Weiss would be a good name for that style:p
Sounds tasty Megary looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Back