What's your next brew

I had read this many times too which had kept me from bothering. BUT I had also read though that some still (including pro brewers) use it and stand by the practice. I recently tried it on a Munich Dunkel (all Dark Munich Malt) and can certainly taste it! It is not only in the taste but also the mouthfeel + body. As for the taste - it is just like melanoidin malt which can certainly achieve the same results but the body and mouthfeel is not quite the same.

I liked the brew day process too though it did make a longer, more laborsome brew day , it was fun. I have some floor-malted pilsner that will probably benefit from the process. I'll keep trying it on my recipes and slowly decide which ones need it and which don't.

When you say 'it' I'm assuming you're talking about multiple decoction procedure. Something I've yet to try. My next brew requires three decoction steps, increasing in temperature (144F/20m,152F/60m, 168F/10m). Everything I've ever read says to stay at or below 165 to prevent drawing tannins from the husks. However, the final step is 168F and the sparging calls for 170F water, which makes me a little nervous. That's bangin' up against the end-stops for mash temperature on most malts, based on my 'research and experience'. Bittering from tannins is not a nice experience. I let one all-grain mash get too hot and haven't made that mistake again. That was in my early all-grain learning curve on a brew that I normally do with partial mashing and decided to try my hand with all-grain. I drank it, but the quality wasn't nearly what I expected, and I learned my first lesson about 'off flavors'. I knew what I did wrong, though, and did the same recipe in all-grain again, and pretty much matched the quality of my partial mash version. It was hard to tell the difference, meaning, all the trouble for the all-grain version really didn't do anything for quality that I could detect versus extract brewing, except prove that my skills are improving. The total mash time on this batch is nearly 2 hours, though, and that concerns me, along with the high sparging temperature. That's a long time to have grain husks in a mash. This is really just a foray into a more complicated all-grain brew to test my skills and see if I'm ready for and can benefit from more sophisticated equipment, as well as my first try with a Maris Otter adjunct. If it flops or turns into pig swill, then, I guess I practice more before I get fancier gadgets. I have to justify the expense of better brewing equipment to myself before I'll invest in it. Having better equipment doesn't mean I know how to fully use what I have yet. I'm taking my time and learning as I go.

Above all, I can't think of anything more fun than learning about beer tasting. I'd say I've grown my tastes for different styles considerably doing this, and certainly have become more open-minded about bitterness while learning different hops. I never realized there was so much range and type of bitterness but depending on the hop and the other things it imparts to the beer, it can make the bitterness not only tolerable, but an integral part of the overall flavor. My days of saying "I don't like bitter beer" appear to be behind me. Learning the different contributions and flavors is the fun part at the moment. Perhaps when I 'master' that, I'll get more sophisticated equipment and expand my horizons even more.

When you say 'it' I'm assuming you're talking about multiple decoction procedure. Something I've yet to try. My next brew requires three decoction steps, increasing in temperature (144F/20m,152F/60m, 168F/10m). Everything I've ever read says to stay at or below 165 to prevent drawing tannins from the husks. However, the final step is 168F and the sparging calls for 170F water, which makes me a little nervous. That's bangin' up against the end-stops for mash temperature on most malts, based on my 'research and experience'. Bittering from tannins is not a nice experience. I let one all-grain mash get too hot and haven't made that mistake again. That was in my early all-grain learning curve on a brew that I normally do with partial mashing and decided to try my hand with all-grain. I drank it, but the quality wasn't nearly what I expected, and I learned my first lesson about 'off flavors'. I knew what I did wrong, though, and did the same recipe in all-grain again, and pretty much matched the quality of my partial mash version. It was hard to tell the difference, meaning, all the trouble for the all-grain version really didn't do anything for quality that I could detect versus extract brewing, except prove that my skills are improving. The total mash time on this batch is nearly 2 hours, though, and that concerns me, along with the high sparging temperature. That's a long time to have grain husks in a mash. This is really just a foray into a more complicated all-grain brew to test my skills and see if I'm ready for and can benefit from more sophisticated equipment, as well as my first try with a Maris Otter adjunct. If it flops or turns into pig swill, then, I guess I practice more before I get fancier gadgets. I have to justify the expense of better brewing equipment to myself before I'll invest in it. Having better equipment doesn't mean I know how to fully use what I have yet. I'm taking my time and learning as I go.

Above all, I can't think of anything more fun than learning about beer tasting. I'd say I've grown my tastes for different styles considerably doing this, and certainly have become more open-minded about bitterness while learning different hops. I never realized there was so much range and type of bitterness but depending on the hop and the other things it imparts to the beer, it can make the bitterness not only tolerable, but an integral part of the overall flavor. My days of saying "I don't like bitter beer" appear to be behind me. Learning the different contributions and flavors is the fun part at the moment. Perhaps when I 'master' that, I'll get more sophisticated equipment and expand my horizons even more.
Don't forget Roach that decoction is different than step mashing. Sounds like you're doing a step mash

Don't forget Roach that decoction is different than step mashing. Sounds like you're doing a step mash
Ok, step mash then, but still a lotta heat at the end. (told you I was still learning). It's actually more than two hours just for the mash, now I've gone back and read it better. By the time I'm done sparging, geez, gonna be a long brew day. I see a pump and some modified buckets in my future, very near future.

Our monsoon season just hit too, so it's raining nearly every day, meaning I've gotta get a better game plan together. There's no break in the rain for the next two weeks (and hasn't been for the last two weeks). Everytime I start to pull the pin and start a batch, the clouds get dark, and the liquid sunshine starts falling. Looks like I'm brewing out in the tractor shed and hauling the fermenter back to the house for the next few weeks. Trying to get my stock built up so I can do some other projects around here. Other projects that ALSO require drier weather. Kinda in a holding pattern.

Might be time to convert an old storage shed I have into a brew house. The missus ain't gonna like that getting done before her kitchen.

Something I've yet to try. My next brew requires three decoction steps, increasing in temperature (144F/20m,152F/60m, 168F/10m).

If you are pulling sections of the mash - grains and all and boiling them for a period - then adding them back to the main mash in order to get you to the next rest temperature - then you are doing decoctions. If you're just raising your mash temperature by adding hot water or applying heat then you are conducting a step mash. There are many German breweries that now conduct step mashes versus the traditional decoctions.

I've done a few beers with step mashes and haven't noticed as pronounced a difference as I did with the double decoction mash. I'd still do them though for certain beers (Kolsch is one).

As for 170 degree sparge water... that is always what I start my sparge with - never any ill effects that I have noticed. On that note though, you could always just do as you've done before with sparge water - as I doubt it would change much in the end product, especially if your way works. - I too, get scared of jacking up 5 gallons of beer!

Looks good. Do you use the same hops each time you brew this one?
No last time it was vic secret and simcoe and another hop. Last version was tasty.
I dropped the cane sugar on this one for less ABV I'll mash mid range to account for it so it doesn't get to thick.
Also usually use Vienna but subbed for Munich this run.

Right, decoction is boiling the mash like making grits or oatmeal...the old fashion way! Podcast Kismet today with Master Brewers episode 35 on water and mash chemistry ....the astringent NOT is a function of heat but a combination of the best AND the pH of the mash.

https://www.masterbrewerspodcast.com/035

Maybe either an Irish Red or American Red

Then either a re-brew of my Kolsch that I am not super happy with, but it is young and flat, or the American Stout

As soon as I can get the fermenter freed up from the summer blonde, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout with a kicker of cacao nibs. I ain’t braggin’ but I like it as much as I do the Founder’s Breakfast Stout. Yummy stuff. One batch of Rapier Wit on the shelf, one to bottle in a few days, and the summer blonde to follow that in a couple weeks. Might finally get my stock built up.

What day is the Zoom Meeting?
In the thread, it just has all the numbers,not the day

Sat the 27th
4pm central

After seeing all of the stouts out here, I been wanting to try a Chai milk stout. Left Hand Brewing makes a really good one.

Back