What's your next brew

Well, the last batch went over so well, I figure I'll run another batch of "3 Day Weekend", should have a nice BRY-97 slurry after the current batch is finished.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1262118/3-day-weekend

That looks good. Not too far off from Rapier Wit, but add grits and subtract the orange peel. Explain batch sparge to a novice, please. I see your strike water is 3 gallons, and both sparges are 2.5 gallons. That’s 8 gallons total. How much are you losing to the grits and grain? Is that a thick mash and the reason for batch sparging? 9 pounds of grain and 12 quarts of water, That’s a 1.33 pound per quart ratio. Sounds thick. I usually mash a little thinner around 1.25. Seems to avoid stuck mashes in the kettle since I don’t use a separate mash tun.

I gather there’s a conversion for whole hops to pellets on here somewhere. I might give that one a spin. Never had beer with corn base before. Should be interesting.

Never used Sterling hops or BRY-97 yeast either. Would be a nice little detour for me.

Inter

Interesting yeast choice Bulin!
Why not Lager yeast or just going for something different?

I'm thinking Asahi maybe I'm off track with the minute grits thinking that's rice.

Doing a couple ales right now, actually tried BRY-97 for the first time on the last batch of this beer. Just something I tyhrew together for summer after I got back from vacation in June. Bittered with Sterling because I was fresh out of Cluster(have a few pounds on hand now), but it was good the first time so I'll keep it in there.

That looks good. Not too far off from Rapier Wit, but add grits and subtract the orange peel. Explain batch sparge to a novice, please. I see your strike water is 3 gallons, and both sparges are 2.5 gallons. That’s 8 gallons total. How much are you losing to the grits and grain? Is that a thick mash and the reason for batch sparging? 9 pounds of grain and 12 quarts of water, That’s a 1.33 pound per quart ratio. Sounds thick. I usually mash a little thinner around 1.25. Seems to avoid stuck mashes in the kettle since I don’t use a separate mash tun.

I gather there’s a conversion for whole hops to pellets on here somewhere. I might give that one a spin. Never had beer with corn base before. Should be interesting.

Never used Sterling hops or BRY-97 yeast either. Would be a nice little detour for me.

I do a double batch sparge, basically I add half the sparge water to the tun after I transfer the first infusion to the kettle, stir it up good, let it sit for a few minutes and transfer to the kettle. Then I repeat the process with the other half of the sparge water.
Think of it as Parti Gyle brewing with the first 3 runnings going into the kettle.

Doing a couple ales right now, actually tried BRY-97 for the first time on the last batch of this beer. Just something I tyhrew together for summer after I got back from vacation in June. Bittered with Sterling because I was fresh out of Cluster(have a few pounds on hand now), but it was good the first time so I'll keep it in there.

I do a double batch sparge, basically I add half the sparge water to the tun after I transfer the first infusion to the kettle, stir it up good, let it sit for a few minutes and transfer to the kettle. Then I repeat the process with the other half of the sparge water.
Think of it as Parti Gyle brewing with the first 3 runnings going into the kettle.
Yeah nothing wrong with Bry-97 makes for some tasty beer pretty clean neutral low esters and can attenuate like crazy like I found on herms wheat it's just a pour floculator well that's what I've found it takes a few weeks to drop out.
Even my saved yeast samples will sometimes still be hazy.

Yeah nothing wrong with Bry-97 makes for some tasty beer pretty clean neutral low esters and can attenuate like crazy like I found on herms wheat it's just a pour floculator well that's what I've found it takes a few weeks to drop out.
Even my saved yeast samples will sometimes still be hazy.
I use BRY-97 all the time, easily my most used yeast. I have found that it drops out rather nicely, 1-2 weeks cold usually does the trick for me. But...I'm not sure what you are comparing it to. I'm sure there are yeasts that clear up quicker.

I use BRY-97 all the time, easily my most used yeast. I have found that it drops out rather nicely, 1-2 weeks cold usually does the trick for me. But...I'm not sure what you are comparing it to. I'm sure there are yeasts that clear up quicker.
Cool yeah not been my observation with my brew method I've found S04 drops quickly and 34/70 now that stuffs solid dependable floculation on that one.
Bry-97 just for me takes longer or ill add geletin to speed things up not that I've been bothering lately.

Picked up the ingredients for 3 Day Weekend yesterday. Subbed 16 AA Warrior for the Sterling cause the LHBS only had 4 AA Sterling. Also gonna sub flaked corn for the grits. Looks like it might be a little bitey, but can’t think of a better way to learn.

Picked up the ingredients for 3 Day Weekend yesterday. Subbed 16 AA Warrior for the Sterling cause the LHBS only had 4 AA Sterling. Also gonna sub flaked corn for the grits. Looks like it might be a little bitey, but can’t think of a better way to learn.
I’d give it a go, the recipe was just kinda tossed together shooting for something “summery”.
Sometimes they are great, sometimes not so great. It’s all a learning experience…

I’d give it a go, the recipe was just kinda tossed together shooting for something “summery”.
Sometimes they are great, sometimes not so great. It’s all a learning experience…
Yeah, that’s why I decided to try my hand at the craft. @Zambezi Special scared me when she started talking about rules, though. So far, I’ve been able to drink everything I’ve made. Not sure all of ‘em turned out exactly to design, but if it’s drinkable, does that matter?

Yeah, that’s why I decided to try my hand at the craft. @Zambezi Special scared me when she started talking about rules, though. So far, I’ve been able to drink everything I’ve made. Not sure all of ‘em turned out exactly to design, but if it’s drinkable, does that matter?
No. Drinkable is drinkable.

Eish...
I was talking tongue in cheeck ;)
Like making a weizen with kveik and fake witbier with a saison yeast
I do it all the time

So I was going to brew a Marzen next I will push that off a brew. I’ll brew another Ruby English Ale. I have a Festbier that will be tapped Saturday and the variety of Festbiers I got from liquor barn. Got 4 of the big 6, Ayinger, and a lager from Augustiner that will make that a beer from all of the big 6 except Lowenbrau. So I am good for a bit and I planned to start a series of German lagers in late October through winter anyway.

Back