What's your next brew

Assuming you meant the Dark Mild...

Dark Mild | Dark Mild BIAB Beer Recipe by Megary | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)

This will be my first crack at a Dark Mild and I'm not sure I have it right, or even in the ballpark. I'm concerned about the % of Pale Chocolate mostly. I think I'm struggling with this mainly because I rarely run across this style in the wild and I don't have anything to mentally base the recipe on. Come to think of it, I'm really not sure if I'll even like a Dark Mild. :p

Last edited:

Dark Mild | Dark Mild BIAB Beer Recipe by Megary | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)

This will be my first crack at a Dark Mild and I'm not sure I have it right, or even in the ballpark. I'm concerned about the % or Pale Chocolate mostly. I think I'm struggling with this mainly because I rarely run across this style in the wild and I don't have anything to mentally base the recipe on. Come to think of it, I'm really not sure if I'll even like a Dark Mild. :p
Eh it's like a baby stout, I'm sure you'll love it :D do you subscribe to BYO? Their latest issue has an article all about Milds

Eh it's like a baby stout, I'm sure you'll love it :D do you subscribe to BYO? Their latest issue has an article all about Milds
Unfortunately not. Sure would have come in handy.

I'm still kicking the recipe around some. Other than the MO, everything else is a game-time decision.

Thanks to @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews for the encouragement to experiment and a good simple recipe to start it with. Took his 3-Day Weekend Recipe and twisted it a little more. Using Warrior Hops, (not Sterling) for bittering (.5 oz at 16 AAU). Using flaked corn, not instant grits for the corn content. Using US-05 for yeast. Got my fingers crossed this won't be my first pig-swill batch. Got no pigs to give it to, so gonna have to drink it if I make it.

Thanks to @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews for the encouragement to experiment and a good simple recipe to start it with. Took his 3-Day Weekend Recipe and twisted it a little more. Using Warrior Hops, (not Sterling) for bittering (.5 oz at 16 AAU). Using flaked corn, not instant grits for the corn content. Using US-05 for yeast. Got my fingers crossed this won't be my first pig-swill batch. Got no pigs to give it to, so gonna have to drink it if I make it.
It’ll be fine, long as the coriander is reasonably fresh. Got a fresh batch working in the fermenter myself.

This will be my first crack at a Dark Mild and I'm not sure I have it right, or even in the ballpark. I'm concerned about the % of Pale Chocolate mostly. I think I'm struggling with this mainly because I rarely run across this style in the wild and I don't have anything to mentally base the recipe on. Come to think of it, I'm really not sure if I'll even like a Dark Mild. :p
I think it looks good my last batch was 20srm in the calculator I see yours is 19 ish and mine turned out black not the copper color predicted.
I used 5% total 1.5 eclipse wheat and the other chocolate rye this gave a nice chocolate subtle roast flavour.
I love the brown malt I'd like to know where this goes with that.
I used a bit of wheat and as you know a tun of toasted rolled oats in my last run 1kg
So I probably went outta bounds style wise there but we shall find out what the judges thought soon enough.
I know drew from the experimental brewing podcast loves his milds as well his recipe should be out there somewhere.
Hey but what's the fun if you copy someone else's.:)

Mash done. Bringing it up to boil. Gotta be careful I don't scorch it with the dragon. I usually keep a lid on it until I get to boil, then remove it and boil open top. The only objective is to get it to boil quicker without scorching. Any thoughts? Gotta go find my Whirlfloc, too.

Unfortunately not. Sure would have come in handy.

I'm still kicking the recipe around some. Other than the MO, everything else is a game-time decision.

here is what I did and loved it https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1289706/joshs-dark-pub-ale

Extremely interesting podcast. Thanks for that. I believe your link is for Drew’s Mild and here’s the recipe from the guy they talked to in the podcast.
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/recipes/royal-docks-44-mild-brown

I’m now left scratching my head a bit about including oats and/or sugar. I’ve never gotten on well with oats, for me they always seem to do the exact opposite of what people say they do. I get an oil slick mouthfeel and very poor head retention when I’ve used them. So I don’t bother with them anymore. The sugar though, is intriguing. I see @Josh Hughes uses invert and the podcast mentions regular sucrose, but Drew's recipe doesn't include it. Hmm…seems like the use of sugar is a traditional thing. I could drop some of the MO for a bit of sugar.

What I wouldn't give to go find a decent Dark Mild on the shelf today. :)

I’m a fan of invert. Invert 2 is roughly 25 L and will leave some flavor. A darker invert you could even get away with less of the roast malt. I’ve read stuff from British brewers and they use something like invert 2 and remove part of their crystal malt as well.

I’m a fan of invert. Invert 2 is roughly 25 L and will leave some flavor. A darker invert you could even get away with less of the roast malt. I’ve read stuff from British brewers and they use something like invert 2 and remove part of their crystal malt as well.
Got it. My problem is that I'm not about to make Invert in time for tomorrow's brew-day. So, it's either sucrose or not. We'll see.

Back